[Event] Cape Town Meetup - 24 April

edited in Events

This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Last Wednesday of the month

Where: Bandwidth Barn - 68 Albert Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town, 7925

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)

Talks - 2 x 20 min slots
- TBD (this could be you!)

Focused Feedback - 2 x 10 min slots

Open Demo Floor

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1050815551793404/

If you'd like to give a talk or show something to get feedback, please post below!

Comments

• We've had a request for a talk (Or two) on communication between the various disciplines of game making, ie; how can programmers speak to artists more effectively? Or how can artists convey ideas more quickly to the rest of the team? Anyone able to speak to this on Wednesday?
  • edited
    @damousey ... Maybe a panel makes sense if no one person has something prepared?

I can give some thoughts, but I've by no means figured out any kind of works-every-time solution.
  • Hey guys, I have an update on my game I could demo but would like focused feedback of it if possible? Not sure If I should set my laptop up so you can play it rather than talk about how it's made?

Either I'm looking forward to the meeting!
  • Hey everyone.

I am probably not going to be able to make it tonight as I have an early evening function. I'm not sure what time the Woodstock Exchange security leaves and I presume I probably won't be able to get in by the time I can get there.
  • If anyone likes, I could do a hyper talk about how we're choosing games at Free Lives now (which is the process we're currently going through). It's not new content, it has been spoken about before, but it might be interesting?
    Thanked by 1damousey
  • Sparrow said:
    Hey guys, I have an update on my game I could demo but would like focused feedback of it if possible? Not sure If I should set my laptop up so you can play it rather than talk about how it's made?

Either I'm looking forward to the meeting!
    Sure we have the time available for getting the whole room's attention, I suggest a bit of both, bringing your laptop and setting it up so someone can play on the projector, then decide if you want to get people's feedback based on that or whether you want t talk about it while it's being played so you can ask folk for specific feedback. That would be up to you and the specific needs of your project right now.
    If anyone likes, I could do a hyper talk about how we're choosing games at Free Lives now (which is the process we're currently going through). It's not new content, it has been spoken about before, but it might be interesting?
    I think that would be great! pencilling you in.

• @damousey ... Maybe a panel makes sense if no one person has something prepared?

I can give some thoughts, but I've by no means figured out any kind of works-every-time solution.
    hmmm, lemme see if we can swing this in the time.
  • this is the agenda we're rolling with atmo:
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • edited
    if anyone is interested in the video we didn't get to because we opted for more discussion:

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1025766/1-500-Slot-Machines-Walk