Help me out with ideas

https://youtu.be/Pv-m6fvxp-k

This a prototype I have been working on for some time now and I want some help from you guys with some ideas especially on art cause I have no idea what I to do with the art I am not an artist as you can see it's just rectangles for now and also feedback on the game mechanics. thanks ;(

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Pv-m6fvxp-k&feature=youtu.be

Comments

• Hey there!

Not an artist, but would you have a link to a playable build handy that you can post? It's really hard to give mechanical feedback if we can't actually play the game. A video is just a video, after all. ;)
    Thanked by 1Jay
  • Something I like to do is to try and think of a feeling or a fantasy that I'd like to portray, and then figure out what visual or gameplay elements would help to convey that.

If you're not an artist, then I wouldn't recommend you worry about the art itself, unless it's something you intend to take up. But it'd still be good to know what feeling or fantasy you want, to give you some direction with what to experiment with next.

Word salad:

Ninja, acrobat, Olympics, Sparta, pirate, bounty hunter, hero without superpowers, hero with superpowers, Amazonian, jungle, parkour, pursuit, re-animated dead, teenage witch, zoo animal
    Thanked by 1Jay
  • I like how you can jump on the arrow you just shot into the wall. I don't think I've seen that before. That's interesting. You could add a time limit where the arrow might break after awhile, which forces the player to move, which adds a slightly different mechanic. I see wall jumping works too (as would double jump), but I think players have seen it before and are looking for something new and different. New ways of traversing a level if that is the goal?

Art is not that important at this stage and mechanics should be the key focus. Maybe think about where the player needs to move to next to progress on-wards and what kinds of interesting obstacles you can place to prevent that or assist if progress is a mechanic? It might not be. Is it? Most games follow multiple basic recipes such as collecting stuff, moving to a certain location (progress) or making a player experience a certain feeling etc. Decide what it is you want to make the player feel/achieve and expand upon that in interesting ways.

It sounds a lot easier that it is, but it's not. :) Good luck and never give up.
    Thanked by 2Trian Jay
  • Gazza_N said:

Not an artist, but would you have a link to a playable build handy that you can post?
    I will post a build but I didn't think you would want to play a prototype, I will build a full level then post it thanks.

@Elyaradine thanks I was thinking a jungle type of environment but I'll also try and experiment with other types thank you.

konman said:

Maybe think about where the player needs to move to next to progress on-wards and what kinds of interesting obstacles you can place to prevent that or assist if progress is a mechanic?

It sounds a lot easier that it is, but it's not. :) Good luck and never give up.
    @konman "think about where the player needs to move to next to progress on-wards..." thats a unique approach to one of the problems I am facing right now imma build on that and see what happens thank you.

Thank you all for your comments, sorry for the late reply imma keep you guys updated on this game:)