[Proto] Dungeon Card Game

edited in Projects
Hi Guys

Just played arround with creating dungeons by random. Idea that just got stuck in my head is to have it played with cards. After player wins the room he/she can move on to the next room. Until the boss room.

For now I just do some random generating and allow you to switch between map and play camera. Player can just travel between rooms.

Here is a Web Build
https://deon-smit.itch.io/card-dungeon

I believe this idea can work for Mobile.....

Thanks

Comments

• Well, it looks fine, it works, but to me this is more presentation work rather than game design, and if you don't have game design first, presentation doesn't have all that much function...

What's the game design? Action? Turn based?

Perhaps build the card game first, leave the presentation for later when there's gameplay to design the presentation around :)
    Thanked by 2critic Gazza_N
  • As far as generating the dungeon goes: I generated several dungeons and may just have been unlucky, but it seemed as if the dungeon layout was always linear. i.e. every dungeon that I generated was effectively just a line (two end rooms, and each room in between having two exits). This is functional, but if it's the dungeon part that you're excited about, I think there's room to make it more interesting! Perhaps there are sprawling hallways vs claustrophobic closets, or side passages that lead off of the critical path. I've never worked with these things myself, but I believe many people already have, so you may want to look at some of the things other people have already done and build on their knowledge. This one looked particularly interesting, especially because gifs! :D
    Thanked by 1dark_seth
  • As far as generating the dungeon goes: I generated several dungeons and may just have been unlucky, but it seemed as if the dungeon layout was always linear. i.e. every dungeon that I generated was effectively just a line (two end rooms, and each room in between having two exits). This is functional, but if it's the dungeon part that you're excited about, I think there's room to make it more interesting! Perhaps there are sprawling hallways vs claustrophobic closets, or side passages that lead off of the critical path. I've never worked with these things myself, but I believe many people already have, so you may want to look at some of the things other people have already done and build on their knowledge. This one looked particularly interesting, especially because gifs! :D
    Wow. Thanks for that. Will def go and have a look into that.

• For my game Dungeon Hackerer I have a little function that explores a grid, backtracking when it gets stuck until it fills the grid. Then I randomly pick some grid cells and connect them to their neighours to make paths that loop back onto themselves.

I found this method neat for making mazes and I toyed around in an older game placing larger rooms in amongst the corridors.
    Thanked by 2dark_seth Tuism