Your favorite cockpit for VR?

edited in Questions and Answers
What is (or would be) your favorite cockpit for Virtual Reality? And Why?

Here are some teasers...

Kerbal Space Program

Kerbal Space Program (Mod)

War Thunder

Elite Dangerous

Star Citizen

EVE : Valkyrie

X-Plane

War Thunder

Elite Dangerous

War Thunder

Comments

• edited
    For me it is War Thunder, but simply because I can relate to it more and it having a more grounded physical feel.

For your project though, it seems you are going for a Sci-Fi setting, so for me then I'd go with Elite Dangerous. Remember that cockpits are designed and made for people to use. Especially in a VR game, your cockpit regardless of style, will be make or brake in terms of user interaction. If using the various options/systems in the cockpit is intuitive and fun, any "style" can work.
    Thanked by 1Moga
  • @vince thank you much! I have a few follow up questions if you don't mind. Have you had a chance to try War Thunder in VR? And if so, were you using HOTAS, keyboard, foot pedals, or combination thereof?
  • I have not been able to try it in VR sorry, my comments were mostly based around the shots you posted and some youtube videos I've watched on some of these games.
    Thanked by 1Moga
  • edited
    Yeah it doesn't really matter if you've been in VR or not to give a relevant answer.. I have found the look of the cockpit is in some way how they 'feel' in VR, if your imagination is not null. Of the War Thunder Cockpits which one do you favor?

Thank you Vince! All your comments across the board have been great!
  • I wouldn't say I greatly prefer one over the rest, but if I had to choose it would probable be the first one with the red War Thunder logo. Looks like it's a spitfire?

Regardless, as I said in my first comment, I prefer these (I think) for being more relatable and having a more mechanical look. That in turn makes me feel that there is room for varied physical interaction, where all the sci-fi ones feel like it will be some gaze/touch interaction mostly.

Which makes sense, and can still feel good. My initial feel is just that I'd enjoy the old school cockpits more.
    Thanked by 1Moga
  • That in turn makes me feel that there is room for varied physical interaction, where all the sci-fi ones feel like it will be some gaze/touch interaction mostly.
    This is an interesting point! Elite Dangerous is a gaze based menu for VR and where it looks like War Thunder would be more interactive it is actually less. War Thunder simply shows and animation of the hands but does not allow for virtual hands interaction with the controls (yet..)

I am definitely leaning towards sci-fi for feeling but I still want to convey a sense of (I'm in this real thing that War Thunder gives).

The plan is to bridge the gap with VRTK's interactive button set so cockpit interfaces will be 'physically' interactive beyond just a gaze. I am thinking about using voice commands as well.. been using them in the Hololens for a few years and they are great...

Anyhow thanks for the reply! Always provides more energy for development.
  • Star Citizen and War Thunder gave me goosebumps just imaging the VR version
    Thanked by 1Moga
  • Great game cockpit images this post is missing? Please help by posting your favorites here.
  • I'm a biiiiiiiiiiig fan of Elite Dangerous' cockpit, and I've been fortunate enough to play the game in VR to confirm. It combines all the best parts of an intuitive diegetic interface with some slick sci-fi design with lots of little details. Everything you really need is visible at all times and easy to find (the radar globe, power levels, etc.). Contextual stuff appears when you look at it and doesn't overly obscure your view. And the cockpit is wide-open to space, allowing you to easily get eyes-on in a dogfight, which is something the non-VR interface struggles to let you do easily. Functional and pretty = ideal VR goodness.
  • Thank you @Gazza_N! I love the elite cockpits in VR as well! Can I ask what your controllers are/were for Elite Dangerous?
    Were they the Oculus or Vive hands or / HOTAS / keyboard mouse? Thank you!!!!

• I used an X360 gamepad, which was a surprisingly good way to play after I did a little remapping. What I wouldn't have given to have a HOTAS setup, though... :'(
  • @Gazza_N Thanks again and I agree. Elite Dang and HOTAS are pretty amazing together. All functions mapped out on the HOTAS really keeps you 'in' the cockpit and the action.