[SA Game Jam 2018] Lumie

Hi all!
our submission for the game jam is a game called Lumie - a game about an apprentice witch, Lumie, who brews potions to buy and sell. Progress by making friends and gathering ingredients in the dungeon to maximise your craft!

This game was designed to be played be played on mobile but we're putting out a PC version too because you probably don't want to download an apk file for your phone.

It currently goes up to area 3 but it was designed with the intention of adding to the game down the line.

WINDOWS BUILD: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R8Oq1OjfiTS8JOXACLMX1iaFK0SLw8I2

Megan (artist), Ben (coding), Malcolm (character animation) (SA Game Jam 2018)
Lumie
Hobbyist
48hr

Comments

• 17:58
    Minor bugs encountered!
    may have to go into grace time
  • in the meantime, look at this absolute unit
  • edited
    Just busy compressing
  • edited
    upload should be done in 10 minutes! sorry for the delay

edit: 19:08 fluctuating a bit, upload is about a quarter of the way
  • Looks really cute. keen to play
    Thanked by 1Weeabro
  • I'm impressed with how much you got through, though for the purposes of a competition jam the efforts have been spread quite thinly across a broad band of screens, with a lot of UI to implement. I was hoping to see a smaller slice of the game being focused on interactions, moderate possibility increases and arguably the most important part, lots 'n lots of potion making! (though maybe I didn't quite get how to do that on my end, sorry if that's the case! ).

I think you could produce something impressively quick, given a time longer than the competition scope. For now, hope you had a great experience!
    Thanked by 1Weeabro
  • Nandrew said:
    I'm impressed with how much you got through, though for the purposes of a competition jam the efforts have been spread quite thinly across a broad band of screens, with a lot of UI to implement. I was hoping to see a smaller slice of the game being focused on interactions, moderate possibility increases and arguably the most important part, lots 'n lots of potion making! (though maybe I didn't quite get how to do that on my end, sorry if that's the case! ).

I think you could produce something impressively quick, given a time longer than the competition scope. For now, hope you had a great experience!
    thank you so much for the feedback! this was our first game jam and I think we bit off a bit more than we could chew but we definitely learned a lot about prioritising core mechanics over quantity of features spread thin

if you don't mind me asking - we would like to complete and polish the project so I was wondering if the potion mechanic was fun or was it a drag? did it feel like the dungeon aspect was too slow for gathering items?

thanks again! :)
  • @Weeabro I'm a sucker for this art style, like really... I love it to bits

It's a shame I couldn't get the game to run properly though. The first time I booted it up it loaded but all I could do was go through menus and purchase ingredients. The second and third time my computer just gave up on me and froze...

I just want to know if anyone else on Windows ran into a similar problem or if it's just me. I know you developed this on Mac and probably couldn't test it before hand. But based on what I've seen I'm really in love with the art direction especially with the protagonist.
  • I really like the colours and shapes in especially the character art. There's a lot of the game that feels inconsistent though, and the environment work feels particularly rough in comparison.

I found that there were lost of buttons to press, but I couldn't figure out what the flow was supposed to be. Clicking on ingredients didn't seem to do anything, nor did clicking on the cauldron. Trying to visit a location and assigning Lumie to a slot also didn't seem to have a way to progress.

As far as potion-mixing and continuing to work on this goes, there's a game in development called Potionomics that you might want to check out (either to avoid competing with them, or to draw inspiration). It seems to do what you're doing, but with more focus and a couple of years of development behind it.
  • Weeabro said:
    thank you so much for the feedback! this was our first game jam and I think we bit off a bit more than we could chew but we definitely learned a lot about prioritising core mechanics over quantity of features spread thin

if you don't mind me asking - we would like to complete and polish the project so I was wondering if the potion mechanic was fun or was it a drag? did it feel like the dungeon aspect was too slow for gathering items?

thanks again! :)
    Ahhh, I had trouble along with the others I'm afraid :( I have the comp build with me if you have any instructions to offer on interfacing with that? Otherwise, feel free to fix up a post-comp version, I tend to enjoy doing that too. ;)