[SA Game Jam 2018] Buttox

SA Game Jam 2018
-Project Name: Buttox
-Level: Student
-48hr Entry

Decided to go for something casual and wacky. Ended up with Buttox.

~Defend the butt against the incoming viruses!
~Click to shoot.
~The longer you survive the bigger your field of vision gets, but more and more viruses will try to kill you.
~How long can you survive?

Let me know what you think!

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BvQkIxR-WlL0sRBO1ArRyUtivjUxmgVl

Comments

• Tried the game but clicking doesnt work at all D:
    Music sounds nice and tooty ;)

• I like the game a lot! it's pretty gross but it worked perfectly and I liked the colours and music that you used. Well done:)

The game is extremely easy to start off with and it doesn't really get harder until the 10th wave.

Are you escalating the possibilities by allowing the poop shooting mechanic to shoot further as the field of vision expands?

Other than that I think that it's a really fun game! :)
  • Jwho303 said:
    Tried the game but clicking doesnt work at all D:
    Music sounds nice and tooty ;)

Sorry about that I updated the link with the working build if you'd like to try now :)
  • LauraSeal said:
    I like the game a lot! it's pretty gross but it worked perfectly and I liked the colours and music that you used. Well done:)

The game is extremely easy to start off with and it doesn't really get harder until the 10th wave.

Are you escalating the possibilities by allowing the poop shooting mechanic to shoot further as the field of vision expands?

Other than that I think that it's a really fun game! :)
    Thanks a lot! Not my best work but was fun to do nonetheless.

I wanted to add a lot more escalating mechanics but started the jam a bit late. Basically the escalation is in that it starts slow and as you go through the waves the amount of enemies and the speed they spawn at increase, to escalate the intensity, and the FOV makes it more possible to see them but you have to plan and compensate for their different speeds. Basically being able to see further increases the possibility of hitting them and anticipating them.
  • Made it to round 15, it was fun and surprisingly polished

The only hiccup I encountered was when I launched too many turds, they would form a wall blocking any other new projectiles from hitting the virus, though I learned to use this to my advantage and created massive poo walls stopping any intruders.
    Was fun, 10/10 but needs more stains.

Oh, also audio didnt work for me but it's likely not your fault, my audio bugs out a lot, so no comment on that part.
  • Amazing and horrifying :P

I adore the emergent complexity of the poop. As noted above, a single projectile which acts alternatively as a weapon and a shield wall creates some really novel opportunities for planning and fortification. I would love to see this go further, be refined and turned into something subtly thoughtful even in the more high-paced moments. Stuff like minimising your projectile firing rate giving you stronger projectiles which can harm certain enemy types more easily, even? Heck there's a lot to play with.

I see where your escalation comes from and I really like the field of view being the determining factor there. Would have liked to see more but there's something good here as-is.
  • Can't play, no mac build :)
  • hahaha oh man I love this!!!!!!

Man the physics on the poop and the way it stacks hahah love it.
    Also the way the viruses evolve and get harder with new abilities very well done for a game jam!!!

We have similar ideas!! check out ours we got bigger poops ;)
    makegamessa.com/discussion/5430/sa-game-jam-2018-child-services-fight-to-save-1000-pound-child#latest
  • Not much to say here. This is a well polished entry. I'm glad that I played this well after I had dinner though. :)

There is something that I felt I was missing though. It seems that there is some kind of hidden health system for the enemies, but I couldn't figure out which ones would die in one shot which ones required more shots...or if it was maybe based on the poop or what? Is there some kind of internal health system, and if so what visual cues was there to pick up on it?

I also love the effect at the edge of the field of view and wouldn't mind some insight into how you managed to do it.
  • Utterly disgusting, I love it!

The poop stacking on top of one another stops me from hitting enemies which is really awkward when it gets to close calls because poop is flying everywhere but it isn't killing anything.

(On a side note, never imagined that I'd mention killing something with poop in my life, but here I am)
  • Tuism said:
    Can't play, no mac build :)
    Sorry about that, will remember to make all the builds in future jams :)