[SA Game Jam 2018] Castle Gobbler

Working Title: Castle Gobbler
Members: @Lightprincess98 and @CurtisBetz
Level of experience: Student
48 Hour Entry

Game Idea:
You are a tiny speck in a small house, finding smaller pieces than you. As you find each and every single piece smaller than you, you start to grow, bigger and bigger and bigger, until you become known in the village as the Castle Gobbler - the one who ate the castle and destroyed the town.

Latest Build can be downloaded here
Itch IO Build (Latest)
Gamejolt Build (Latest)

Comments

• Very cool concept! we have a similar idea but instead of a house we have a fat kid and you need to feed him to grow bigger :)
    Thanked by 1Lightprincess98
  • KleinM said:
    Very cool concept! we have a similar idea but instead of a house we have a fat kid and you need to feed him to grow bigger :)
    That sounds both hilarious and both fun hahaha!
  • Hahaha, I love that idea! You start in pieces. Become "more" than whole... and then turn the world into pieces. Now there's a thought. The protagonist destroys the game itself.

As a child I always destroyed my toys to the horror of my parents. Why? Because destruction is fun.
    This definitely works for me and it ties in nicely with the jam's escalation theme too. Cannot wait to destr... er play :D
  • Here are some visuals for you all to enjoy! Still early as we are polishing.
    Early Video Gameplay
  • Hey folks! :D

I gave this game a try and I love the look and feel so far with your 3D assets :D

Right now, I know it's still an early prototype, but the game gets a bit frustrating because you end up moving SOOOO SLOOOOWLYYY. I know you're probably going to put in a bit more to the game play but yeah :P

I think it would be so cool if you had to somehow fend off the castle's guards/military and just eat them ALL :P

Keep at it!

NOM NOM NOM!
  • edited
    Hey folks! :D

I gave this game a try and I love the look and feel so far with your 3D assets :D

Right now, I know it's still an early prototype, but the game gets a bit frustrating because you end up moving SOOOO SLOOOOWLYYY. I know you're probably going to put in a bit more to the game play but yeah :P

I think it would be so cool if you had to somehow fend off the castle's guards/military and just eat them ALL :P

Keep at it!

NOM NOM NOM!
    Hahaha, we just fixed the speed, added some villagers in and such. We don't have that much experience with AI yet, and there isn't enough time to get some AI in, but I would love that as well.I'd love it if the catapults and those worked, and all the military are doing is feeding you more and more. We are polishing hard on this! Thanks for feedback!
  • Ahhhh, I love the Katamari approach and hope you'll consider making this a 72hr entry! The game is already oozing with style and just needs a good amount of that polishing love to feel as great as it looks / sounds!
  • Nandrew said:
    Ahhhh, I love the Katamari approach and hope you'll consider making this a 72hr entry! The game is already oozing with style and just needs a good amount of that polishing love to feel as great as it looks / sounds!
    We would love to polish it more, and make it 5x better, but sadly as students, we have a ton of things that are coming in the upcoming week, and so we need to dedicate the time to do the assignments and also, some of us have to deal with wifes and such, so we decided to only do 48 hours. I appreciate the great comments though!
  • Thanks everyone for the great feedback! Lightprincess and I had a great time making this and participating in the game jam this weekend. I hope that everyone has a fun time playing our game.
  • I like it, one thing I noticed though is that once you're really big you can clip through the mountains, I tried walking around the side to go eat the boats but I fell off the world too quickly. But I think I'm being a bit too nitpicky, I actively went out to see if I could break it so thats on me :P
    One minor suggestion I would say is maybe interpolate the scale smoothly when you eat objects, the jump in camera angle is a little jarring, especially when you're starting off
    Other than that, it works really well! I didn't get any other bugs which is a really good sign :) Well done
  • This is nice, it feels and looks fun. I love the voice over at the start, but the screams of the villagers override it a bit. I didn't like that I got a bit dizzy and subsequently drowned trying to eat a ship. I did like the different views of the world as a small person and then a very big one. Cute game, cute village, tasty castle!