[SA Game Jam 2018] Toppling Tower Tremendous Torture

Jam name (SA Game Jam 2018)
Toppling Tower Tremendous Torture
Professional
48hr entry

72hr update: v2
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ji8f5zP5v6id_cap7ekNdn5vz2tFHG8s/view?usp=sharing

After Hours v4
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wCHJV0vPPmNKyaVQAEDi6mnH7ZBcYnd3/view?usp=sharing

Comments

• Toppling Tower Tremendous Torture
    How high can you escalate your self and your score !

imageimageimageimage
    HighresScreenshot00000.png
    1075 x 574 - 642K
    Screen1.jpg
    1920 x 1008 - 265K
    Screen2.jpg
    1920 x 1008 - 312K
    Screen3.jpg
    1920 x 1008 - 309K
  • My poor connection can't quite grab this right now, but I absolutely love how quickly it looks like you've set up a full system! I'm interested in knowing how much you think you can home in on the competition premise from here -- I see an escalation of sorts in terms of balancing acts and score but the "possibility" factor could be honed, perhaps by increasing the variety and complexity of geometry that's available to you at greater heights?
  • I like the game looks really pretty already. I guess that's Unreal for you. the building mechanics are really fun like you're really playing almost like a virtual tabletop game especially as it's in first person.

it took me a while to realise that the left click button just randomly chose I actually thought you were aiming at the borders and picking those as your building blocks and I actually think that could be really interesting mechanic. It could

A) where you can design levels based on the border that are around the player. The player can only use what's around the borders to make build their stack and then they can see how high can get with just what's around the borders

B) or just have it that players go to the borders and they really look at the things that they want. So they go and find what they want just as it is nice to place in the middle it could be nice to walk to the side and then choose which block you want. Instead of just like randomly clicking the left button and hoping that you get the block you want

lastly, I wasn't too sure how my high score was calculated. It just seems stuck at 11. What is the actual goal here? Was a bit lost on that. I'm assuming it's to get the highest stack.

Nice start. First to put up a build. :D
  • Nandrew said:
    My poor connection can't quite grab this right now, but I absolutely love how quickly it looks like you've set up a full system! I'm interested in knowing how much you think you can home in on the competition premise from here -- I see an escalation of sorts in terms of balancing acts and score but the "possibility" factor could be honed, perhaps by increasing the variety and complexity of geometry that's available to you at greater heights?
    Yea I was playing with "Modifiers" I added random shapes when you get over 500 points high and the frequency of them gets higher as you progress, making your structure rikity xD
  • edited
    Haha gave your build a go and had some good fun with it! The only thing I wish was different is that while placing (when block is see through) the block would be hard locked to 90 degree rotations increments (or not be affected by physics) as I found I was trying to have the blocks interleave nicely as when playing tetris, but when getting it close to a perfect position it would start touching the adjacent blocks and wiggle a lot.

Also if we could rotate the blocks so that they are oriented vertically, that would be cool. (So another click modifier that rotates on another axis)

There also looks to be a bug in the build where if you jump/fall of the platform, you hit some sort of reset trigger I guess? Only thing is it doesn't reset you, just seems to freeze the camera in place. And you have to close the game and re-open.

Other than that I enjoyed it and enjoyed trying to see just how high I could go.
    And I would've reached the moon, had it not been for those meddlin' benches..
  • I really like the feeling of this, like a good balance between precision and chaos is already being achieved. Played around a little bit and don't really have toooo much to say beyond what's already been provided. Agreed that it's very pretty too!

Looking forward to seeing whether you'll be able to add anything between this build and the end of the comp!
  • Thanks for tagging me, so many games!
    So I tried the new version, and I like that I can more accurately position the blocks, however the fall time might be a little too long, as it prohibits progression. So maybe increasing the rate at which the blocks fall once placed.

Also I tried, and I am quite sure that if I put two pieces perfectly together, with a one block gap between them at one point (as a result of their shapes), I couldn't place an additional piece to fall into place. I've attached a screenshot of the situation.
    Unplaceable.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • vince said:
    Thanks for tagging me, so many games!
    So I tried the new version, and I like that I can more accurately position the blocks, however the fall time might be a little too long, as it prohibits progression. So maybe increasing the rate at which the blocks fall once placed.

Also I tried, and I am quite sure that if I put two pieces perfectly together, with a one block gap between them at one point (as a result of their shapes), I couldn't place an additional piece to fall into place. I've attached a screenshot of the situation.
    Here is version 3
    I've tightened the collision boxes and now a basic mutliplayer code is working.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RYwNx_uYs5BBv-3lr3u8-wwqhyN1Hr2H/view?usp=sharing
  • @sumisukyo I absolutely love the interactive 3D world of Tetris instead like building blocks. I loved it as soon as I started playing. I am looking forward to the future as you are developing the game further.
  • edited
    @sumisukyo I absolutely love the interactive 3D world of Tetris instead like building blocks. I loved it as soon as I started playing. I am looking forward to the future as you are developing the game further.
    Funny you should say that !
    Introducing Tetrie with V4 !

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wCHJV0vPPmNKyaVQAEDi6mnH7ZBcYnd3/view?usp=sharing
    Now I have no Idea how to actually set up the player area for competitive multiplayer ?
    And I want to add some modifiers, any ideas from anyone ?
    Tetrie.jpg
    374 x 514 - 57K
  • konman said:
    OMW ! that is amazing !
    How is the experience ?!

• @sumisukyo I was just addressing the elephant in the room... this is so made for VR :) I played it on Steam VR with an app called "Virtual Desktop" which extends your PC desktop into VR on a massive screen. The Touch controllers actually worked as did the triggers. My hand movements translated into camera movement. I could point and drop blocks using the triggers. Obviously head tracking doesn't work as you still haven't added that yet :) I was pretty impressed what comes out of the box with VR if you haven't actually catered for it in code... Apart from all that nice game man!
  • konman said:
    @sumisukyo I was just addressing the elephant in the room... this is so made for VR :) I played it on Steam VR with an app called "Virtual Desktop" which extends your PC desktop into VR on a massive screen. The Touch controllers actually worked as did the triggers. My hand movements translated into camera movement. I could point and drop blocks using the triggers. Obviously head tracking doesn't work as you still haven't added that yet :) I was pretty impressed what comes out of the box with VR if you haven't actually catered for it in code... Apart from all that nice game man!
    I defiantly need to get another VR headset, mine was stolen a while ago. :(
    I know Unreal has some in the box Vr code maybe try it without the Virtual Desktop ?

wish I could crowd fund a VR headset xD *poof*

• edited
    @sumisukyo To be able to try it without the Virtual Desktop, you would need to launch it on Steam VR as standalone VR game or on the Oculus/Vive store I would imagine... VR apps seem to bootstrap the loading process into the VR visor.

Edit: Maybe look into the VR SDK to make it VR native? I know so little about that stuff...