Grid Gunner

Hello Fellow Devs.

I would like to share my new game that is set for release on Aug 3 on Steam.
Grid Gunner is top down 2d sci-fi rally racing game where crashing and burning is the order of the day and just reaching the end of a track in one piece is your only goal.

It took me about 2 years to develop working week nights and weekends whenever I was able to. I was also working on smaller projects in between. So many games to make so little time.
I guess releasing your game is only the beginning and not the end and I will probably do a lot of enhancements etc if there is interest in the game and the players give me some constructive criticism that I can use to improve things.

With Steam having so many games these days this one may also just sink and disappear into that gaming ocean, but hey! That will not stop me from making games and trying until I'm dead. Just being able to do this is already awesome.

Currently I'm seeing what I can about marketing on a zero budget and learn a thing or two on the way.
Any advice/suggestions on that would be appreciated.
One thing that keeps popping up is to see if you can get you-tubers to play your game . I'll be reaching out to a few and see if anyone will be interested.

Here is a trailer for my game and some screenshots

https://youtu.be/YjAvof2GWOQ

Hppy Game making!
Thanked by 2Tuism Jay

Comments

• What sort of goals are you aiming for with the Steam release?
    Thanked by 1mattbenic
  • Great work man, that's a fun-looking game and a pretty cool trailer! Wish you luck on your release!
  • This looks interesting. Good luck :)
  • What sort of goals are you aiming for with the Steam release?
    Hi Elyaradine.
    This is my 5th game, but my first game on Steam (other 4 were failed android games).
    I guess my goal is to observe and learn for now.
    Maybe I should be saying my goal is to sell a million copies, but that is unrealistic. For that I need a better game, better marketing, better everything.
    So ye... Just learn for now and see what I can do better and improve on. Take Baby steps and see what happens. :)
    Still along road ahead.

• mattbenic said:
    This looks interesting. Good luck :)

• garethf said:
    Great work man, that's a fun-looking game and a pretty cool trailer! Wish you luck on your release!
    Thanks. fingers are crossed, lots of work ahead, but I'll take things as they come.

• I'm not that into the bizdev/marketing side personally, but there are a whole bunch of GDC videos that have been made free that you can check out on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0JB7TSe49lg56u6qH8y_MQ/search?query=marketing

I'm sure there's plenty to learn from that, but in some ways I feel that these things can be fairly personal. If you read about someone else's success, there's probably a good chance that hundreds of other developers have then read about the same advice, which might make future applications of that advice less useful in an economy built around competition and capturing attention. I'd look at the points they make, but filter it through my specific game, and what I might offer that's fresh or unique.

I think the Nyamakop folks have been pretty deep into that stuff recently. I think Ben compiled lists of journalists, and gave a talk or something, but as it's not really my thing I didn't pay much attention... (my bad!)
    Thanked by 3mattbenic Tuism pieter
  • "but as it's not really my thing I didn't pay much attention... (my bad!)"

Ha ha , yes I think the marketing part is not what most indie devs look forward to, but a requirement nonetheless.
    Thank you for the feedback though. What I will do is after 3 months or so post my experiences here and share with everyone what I learned - Did the game sell or not or whatever I can to give other devs that are yet to release on Steam some insight and maybe help them skip a mistake or two that I will probably make.
  • @dcadjust Looks awesome. I love the transitions between rally level and space invader levels. Looks polished and fun. Good luck!
    Thanked by 1mattbenic
  • konman said:
    @dcadjust Looks awesome. I love the transitions between rally level and space invader levels. Looks polished and fun. Good luck!
    Thank you Konman.

Yes, each level has 1 or 2 sections like this and in those sections the game controls like a twin stick shooter. I'm hoping that this element along with the other obstacles and challenges in the game will set it apart from your standard top down racer and give it an identity of its own
    Thanked by 1mattbenic