[Event] Johannesburg Community Evening - 8 May 2018

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment in the thread below to let us know!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Tuesday 8 May
Where: Microsoft Campus Bryanston, 3012 William Nicol Drive, Bryanston, Johannesburg. Auditorium 3

Content
- 6:00 - 7:00 Grab food elsewhere + bonding time (Microsoft serves food at 6pm and it generally goes quite fast.)
- Introductions
- Community News (5 min)

==

- @TheCorinthian - Entelect Challenge (15 min)

- @Moon - Useful Gamification: from theory to practice (15 min)

===
- Demo Slot 1 (10 min)

- Demo Slot 2(10 min)
===
- Playtest Pitchathon (if you're playtesting a game, we ask that you give a 30 second pitch to the room about what the game is, before we all break off and play things).

Bring your games and set them up inside the auditorium before and after the meetup!

Board game prototypes can and will be played so bring along your prototypes!

If you intend to attend, please indicate so on the Facebook event (Not mandatory, so don't worry if you don't have/use Facebook)

===

If you are interested in giving a talk or demo for a meetup, drop a reply in the thread with what you'd like to do or send me a PM :)

Comments

• Looking forward to it.
    We may even have the design team come along to answer questions around how they did the video for the challenge.
    Thanked by 1Karuji
  • Looking forward to it and hope there is demo game's that will be presented
    Thanked by 1Fruitymo
  • Cool, I'll be there - will be my first time joining, looking forward to meeting you guys.
    Thanked by 2RaptorTech4 Fruitymo
  • Might be a little late
  • Thanks all, fantastic turnout and some nice meaty discussions-though that may not have been everyone's cup of tea :)
  • Regarding the meetup and the discussion we had, and the mention from @Karuji about the current format being older; I recently came across Lean Coffee (http://leancoffee.org/) which is a meeting/discussion technique for holding structure of a meeting but not creating the agenda prior to meeting.

We may be able to explore this, not necessarily for the meetup, but perhaps for the post discussions, where agenda vote is replaced by topic vote. Just throwing it out there as a consideration, as I think with Lean Coffee it can make the discussion more valuable for more people.
  • @thelangfordian I'd like to attend a lean coffee to better understand it (I see there is a joburg one: https://www.meetup.com/Lean-Coffee-JHB/), but from just the description, I don't know how non-discussion content would fit in. For example the two talks we had that happened to run long were actually rooted in presentations. It could perhaps be a good option when we're low on "formal" content though?
  • @thelangfordian I attended a Lean Coffee yesterday, and it really is quite an interesting approach, though it's limited by number of attendees. It wouldn't really work with more than 10 people, at that point we'd need to either split up into groups or make some other adjustment. Maybe some kind of panel discussion? Where we have a couple of people from industry, academia, whatever, and we use the lean coffee approach to determine their topics?
  • mattbenic said:
    @thelangfordian I attended a Lean Coffee yesterday, and it really is quite an interesting approach, though it's limited by number of attendees. It wouldn't really work with more than 10 people, at that point we'd need to either split up into groups or make some other adjustment. Maybe some kind of panel discussion? Where we have a couple of people from industry, academia, whatever, and we use the lean coffee approach to determine their topics?
    Ah ok. Makes sense. I can see how keeping a lean coffee smaller works.
    I like the idea of the panel. Much like when Luke brought the industry guys from the States through to have a chat. That Q&A or topic approach could be very useful I think.
    My main reason for the suggestion is that I would like to ensure everyone at the meetup feels invested in the discussion and not as on-lookers. People sometimes sit there quietly, so getting a gauge of how they feel would be great.

• Absolutely agreed. I definitely get the feeling some attendees are basically tolerating the discussion to get to the "good stuff" of demos and pitches towards the end (another reason I think two talks should be split with pitches or something between them)
  • Game test pitches at the start or between talks sounds good. Can be useful if there are a lot of games to test, then Julian can be more strict and shout at presenters to wrap up :) and if there are few games, then we can take up time with a discussion, and attendees don't have to feel compelled to stay.
    Thanked by 2mattbenic Karuji
  • mattbenic said:
    @thelangfordian I attended a Lean Coffee yesterday, and it really is quite an interesting approach, though it's limited by number of attendees. It wouldn't really work with more than 10 people, at that point we'd need to either split up into groups or make some other adjustment. Maybe some kind of panel discussion? Where we have a couple of people from industry, academia, whatever, and we use the lean coffee approach to determine their topics?
    I was at an AI Meetup yesterday. We ran a lean coffee approach with around 25 people.
    It worked very well, with almost all of the attendees getting involved in the discussion.
    So, for a bigger group what helps is that the person / people who's topics are chosen for discussion have to speak first and set the scope for the discussion, to prevent hour long tangents.
    The facilitator also needs to be strict, to keep discussion on topic and manage the space properly.

The only thing that can take some time with a big group is the voting on topics. Splitting the groups could work as well.

The panel style discussion could work, but you may end up with the same people on the panel everytime.
    Thanked by 1mattbenic
  • How did the AI meetup handle the votes? And how long did it take?
  • Secret ballot obviously, that seems to be the trend. :)

I think there should be a purpose to the discussion, someone that actually needs information on the topic, maybe posting in the thread and getting the topic ready beforehand would be good, could even lead to some preparation?
  • Well I think those are two different approaches, both of which would be interesting in different ways. A pre-prepped "panel discussion" on something decided beforehand, vs a panel where the audience drives (and limits) the discussion with a lean coffee type approach.
  • mattbenic said:
    How did the AI meetup handle the votes? And how long did it take?
    Each person put down their idea on a sticky note. We put all the sticky notes up on the board and gave each person two votes.
    They'd walk past the board and mark two topics. It was pretty fast, about two minutes. What helped is that all the topics we're announced as they we're being stuck up on the board. So people got a chance to start formulating what they wanted to vote for while queueing for the voting.
    Thanked by 1mattbenic
  • Game test pitches at the start or between talks sounds good. Can be useful if there are a lot of games to test, then Julian can be more strict and shout at presenters to wrap up :) and if there are few games, then we can take up time with a discussion, and attendees don't have to feel compelled to stay.
    I think this is likely the shift that is going to happen (given my slight organisational bias). But I've put a slot in the next meetup to talk about the meetup, so we'll see what the general consensus is.
    mattbenic said:
    I was at an AI Meetup yesterday. We ran a lean coffee approach with around 25 people.
    It worked very well, with almost all of the attendees getting involved in the discussion.
    So, for a bigger group what helps is that the person / people who's topics are chosen for discussion have to speak first and set the scope for the discussion, to prevent hour long tangents.
    The facilitator also needs to be strict, to keep discussion on topic and manage the space properly.

The only thing that can take some time with a big group is the voting on topics. Splitting the groups could work as well.

The panel style discussion could work, but you may end up with the same people on the panel everytime.
    The lean coffee sounds really interesting! (And I should really try make it to one, but my schedule is staring at me in horror)

Currently I'm leaning to a hybrid of presenter organised talks and lean coffee mix:

If we have someone that wants to present a topic then they'd do a pitch on the topic, and those interested go and talk about the topic.

If there is a lack of a dedicated speaker then we do a lean coffee / design salon type thing.

That said these will be opt in, and happen after the general section of the meetup, so at the same time that people are milling about playing games and just chatting.

I'll have slides and graphs to better illustrate this when I speak at the next meetup, and as above this is what I think will happen, but I want a feedback from the community about the changes before we go making them.
  • Sounds like a good plan!