[Event] CT Meetup March 28th

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Last Wednesday of the month ( March 28th)

Where: Bandwidth Barn - 68 Albert Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town, 7925

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)

Talks - 2 x 20 min slots:
- GDC report (@damousey)
- Workshop: Making 1000 games per second (@francoisvn)

Focused Feedback - 2 x 10 min slots
-
-

Open Demo Floor

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1745469502180996/

If you'd like to give a talk or show something to get some feedback, please post below!

Comments

• It would be good for someone going to GDC to report back; maybe an experience report from someone going for the first time or a collated report of things done/achieved while there.

Anyone want to take this on?
    Thanked by 1BuffytheChampire
  • So apparently, *I'm* going to GDC.

Unless there are any objections, I could do a report back for us?
  • @damousey: Yay! No objections!

I'm still keen to do a 1k games per second workshop, either this meetup or the next (if we have a lot of post-GDC content)
  • Personally, I'm keen for a 1k games/second workshop, having missed it every other time so far but hearing very good things.
    Thanked by 1BuffytheChampire
  • It would be my knock-off version, so keep expectations tempered! ;)
  • Hey friends! By that time we'll be getting ready to welcome people into the co-working space on the second floor, so maybe we can do a quick tour at the beginning / end of the programme? In case anyone is interested in renting a desk :)
    Thanked by 2Asriele damousey
  • @mmillions_: Cool! Maybe doing it at the end, while people are setting up demos, will be a good time?
  • What is 1000 games per second? Sounds like an awful lot??
  • 1000 games per second is about mach 1 for games. We will be breaking some barriers ;P
  • @francoisvn Sounds great! We're struggling to make even 100 games per second over here, so please document the breaking of the Mach 1 barrier, and watch out for the sonic boom!
  • Anybody looking for feedback on a game/prototype/demo? We still have both slots open.
  • @damousey I've posted on the FB group a couple of weeks ago in regards to doing a demo. Is there anything that I need to bring apart from the game itself? Are there screens or should I just bring a laptop and controllers?
  • @nikrich: just checking, but are you looking for a focused feedback slot, or space to demo the game? The first is a timeslot in the agenda where you present your game to whole room at once and get a lot of dedicated attention, the other is the demo tables around the event where people can play before and after the main session and you can observe individual reactions. From your comments on FB it seemed like you wanted the latter.

Everyone is very welcome to demo in that format, and we encourage anyone working on a game to come demo it then. The focused feedback has limited slots because it demands attention from the audience.

There's no hardware available for the demos so you'll need to bring your own. For focused feedback there's just a projector you can plug into, you'll need to bring your other hardware.
  • Hello! My GDC feedback is that there is a strong chance you'll get conference plague even if you walk around with hand sanitiser ;)

I would love to share a bit about my GDC experience, but I'm not in a state to leave the house tonight. If it makes sense for the April meetup, I can do it then.

<3
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Hey folks. If you were at the meetup I'm keen to hear feedback on what I can do to improve the workshop I ran. I had fun running it and wanna do it again, but I feel like it still has a lot of room to improve, so I'm keen to hear thoughts :)
    Thanked by 2Asriele damousey
  • Maybe repost the request for feedback as a prototype or project, @francoisvn. I imagine it's going to get lost as this event thread drops and I'd like to see this side thing survive and evolve.
  • Hey friends! By that time we'll be getting ready to welcome people into the co-working space on the second floor, so maybe we can do a quick tour at the beginning / end of the programme? In case anyone is interested in renting a desk :)
    maybe we could add this to April's agenda? now that we're recovering from GDC and this is actually gaining tenants etc?