Can there be Game-Art challenges on MGSA?

edited in Questions and Answers
I'm not sure how many artists are here on MGSA, but I was wondering if there could be art challenges like they have on Artstation for instance?
I think it could be a cool idea, then artists have an opportunity (whether they are beginner or pro) to learn more from other artists who also participate :)

Thanked by 3edg3 damousey Asriele

Comments

• Don't see why not :) What format would it be? If it's just "make any art for any game" it's not as cohesive, usually, the whole point of challenges and jams are that everyone works towards something similar so that there's a good base for everyone to work around and talk around.

So maybe like make art for a prototype that everyone agrees on, or a make up your own pixel art platformer art jam, or whatever :)
  • Thanx Tuism :)
    Yeah, I totally agree :)

I reckon some base topics (with regards to a game type) could be an interesting place to start such as:
    - Art that depicts and or explains a game mechanic.
    - Level design
    - Character design
    - Prop design
    - Story-boarding
    Thanked by 1Asriele
  • I think this is an awesome idea.
    Personally I think the way blenderArtists.org did it was great.
    With minor changes to the way they chose a topic for the next weekend... (I would think monthly might work better here).
    2 rounds of voting could occur,
    Round 1: Each category votes for the best in their category
    Round 2: Voting happens to determine the best piece from the category winners.
    Winner chooses next months topic.
    *you cannot win consecutively but you can still take part.
    *group efforts cant win but can still take part.

Would be cool if there was a big enough pool of people who would take part.
    Thanked by 2Jurgen edg3
  • I'm keen. :)

I quite strongly feel that it should be production game art though, whether they're sprites, 3d models or UI or FX (i.e. something that a programmer or game designer could plug right into their game engine). Concept art is great if it's part of the process, but not so much if it's the only deliverable.
  • Why not have a Art Jam that creates the art that needs to be used in a Game Jam that runs immediately after that. Not sure if that would work though ... just throwing it out there. :)
  • Interesting idea , I always look at the art threads /portfolio at MGSA and was considering starting a devlog/art dump kind of thread.After thinking about it I realized it would end up being 90 percent art and 10 percent noob blueprints.
    Right now there isn't a local forum for game artist (that I know of) ,where artist can post rough ,practical work.

One of the most interesting things I have observed here at MGSA is how devs look at art and whats important to them ,the practical uses etc, which I doubt you will get exposed too in a strictly art forum .It kind of takes the focus off the art for the sake of art (not a terribly bad thing) and makes it part of bigger goal

So I feel there is quite a unique opportunity here to try something new , I wonder what the programmers think about it though.
  • quintond said:
    Why not have a Art Jam that creates the art that needs to be used in a Game Jam that runs immediately after that. Not sure if that would work though ... just throwing it out there. :)
    That could be cool, so the selected or best art would then be used as assets. The unused art can be inspiration or concepts perhaps :)

For example:
    Let's say there is a concept / idea for a game. Like a plat-former for instance. Then there could be like a brief for what is needed art-wise/asset-wise and here starts the challenge/competition. It's good practice working on a project and competing with others is also healthy.
  • It might be cool to run a challenge through a pipeline then. Offsetting the different parts of the pipeline so that the game art could not just be driven by a topic but also by an actual game prototype.
  • - to second and third what others have said, I think it's incredibly valuable for artists to make art FOR games in a practical setting and not just "hey here are pictures I made".
    - I think like with all comps, if this is going to happen it's going to take someone to take up the charge and say "This is what I've decided to run, here are the rules, whoever wants to do it go for it", and that person/those persons must follow up with the community and run the thing (whether there's judging or not or whatever).
    - I think having an existing prototype into which people can make art for is great.
    - I also think whoever is making that prototype is going to have a lot of work if they're to be implementing people's art into their game. It's both a great learning for both the devs and artists, but it's also really a lot of time. That amount of time is non-trivial.
  • I think it's a good idea, but if there's only one game prototype and everyone's making art for it, it wouldn't be possible to implement each one.

Why don't we get teams made up of a developer and an artist. Ratings can be based on different categories such as the ones used on Ludum Dare. Maybe it can just have more focus on the art aspect and how the developer has integrated it into the game.
  • I dont see why the project can't effectively be forked at the art implementation, one prototype with multiple art sets seems a better way of experimenting than everyone working toward different limitations. For example if one prototype requires a strict top down and visible grid and another has room for a dynamic camera in 3d with animation, well the compo would be dealing with entirely different criteria per competitor and i think the overall outcome would feel less useful.
    Thanked by 2blacksheepZA Tuism
  • damousey said:
    I dont see why the project can't effectively be forked at the art implementation, one prototype with multiple art sets seems a better way of experimenting than everyone working toward different limitations. For example if one prototype requires a strict top down and visible grid and another has room for a dynamic camera in 3d with animation, well the compo would be dealing with entirely different criteria per competitor and i think the overall outcome would feel less useful.
    That would be amazing, but likely it will involve the original programmer having to do the forking and multiple implementations, which takes a buttload of time that I think is unrealistic to put onto one person/team. If other programmers can pick up a project and fork it with the artist as a team, then sure that sounds like a great solution :)

Thanked by 1Jurgen
  • Would it be possible to extend this to Audio and Music work as well?
    Thanked by 2watson Jurgen
  • Wolfbeard said:
    Would it be possible to extend this to Audio and Music work as well?
    If we find a solid solution for the format and it extends to this, I don't see why not; although possible not simultaneously.
    Tuism said:
    damousey said:
    I dont see why the project can't effectively be forked at the art implementation, one prototype with multiple art sets seems a better way of experimenting than everyone working toward different limitations. For example if one prototype requires a strict top down and visible grid and another has room for a dynamic camera in 3d with animation, well the compo would be dealing with entirely different criteria per competitor and i think the overall outcome would feel less useful.
    That would be amazing, but likely it will involve the original programmer having to do the forking and multiple implementations, which takes a buttload of time that I think is unrealistic to put onto one person/team. If other programmers can pick up a project and fork it with the artist as a team, then sure that sounds like a great solution :)

True, although I suppose I'm counting multiple prototypes as a buttload of effort already. Particularly if we add steps to level the playing field or compensate in criteria.

As a whole I feel that resting this potential challenge category on the success of a separate buttload of effort unwise. Can we reduce risk?

What about trying something like reskinning an established work or mashing a disparate theme or genre into an existing game. I know that veers the focus back toward concept and away from the entire"dealing with limitations" skill set that we need a lot more of in this industry. Maybe we can find something better.

• I see art competitions as being a way to get people to work on things with a loosely common goal (e.g. making game art) during the same time period, show their works in progress, and learn from each other in the process. I don't think it has to be running in a game -- a hypothetical one is fine -- and I don't like having to have a programmer or prototype involved first (too many dependencies).

So maybe something like: Pick a theme (that everyone follows), pick a game (artists individually pick games they like to fit whether they're 2d, 3d, whatever?), and make art for it using that game's constraints (camera, design, maybe art direction, etc.).

e.g.
    Theme: Under the Sea
    Game: Street Fighter 2
    Go!
  • I see art competitions as being a way to get people to work on things with a loosely common goal (e.g. making game art) during the same time period, show their works in progress, and learn from each other in the process. I don't think it has to be running in a game -- a hypothetical one is fine -- and I don't like having to have a programmer or prototype involved first (too many dependencies).

I agree with Elyaradine...

This sort of format is good for indie developers to actually boost ther skills in design and art formats for game design...

I would absolutey participate in this...

Sounds like a great idea

So maybe something like: Pick a theme (that everyone follows), pick a game (artists individually pick games they like to fit whether they're 2d, 3d, whatever?), and make art for it using that game's constraints (camera, design, maybe art direction, etc.).

e.g.
    Theme: Under the Sea
    Game: Street Fighter 2
    Go!
    This pretty much mirrors my thoughts.

I mean, I'd like to figure out a way of adding more rigorous technical limitations, because how an art director or production artist deals with those is such a massive component of our day to day; but I think pushing for them would hamper getting this challenge started.

This is exactly the sort of mashup theme/genre thing I had in mind.
  • Actually, could we just roll with under water Street Fighter 2 as [Art_Challenge_01]?

I just had an idea for a shader that I probably don't yet have the skillset for and definitely don't have the time for, and I'm probably going to enforce all my own technical limitations anyway :P

Also, is [Art_Challenge_01] correct, I feel like we may have done something like this before. I think it was a challenge that followed the regular prototype challenge and we would work with one of the entries or something. (distant bell jangling)
  • I think we only had one at challenge before (a pixel art one), but I don't remember the numbering system. :P

I had in mind that people could pick their own games because, taking SF2 as an example, some artists may not be pixel artists. Which would be fine if everyone is cool with learning new skills, but my gut thinks they'd rather practise their specialization.
    Thanked by 1JamesRay
  • So when and where can we expect this to be a reality?
  • So when and where can we expect this to be a reality?
    As well as wether it will be an online challange or a meetup event type thing :)
  • I'm travelling until mid-April, at which point I expect to be in hibernation recovering. :P I'm up for a month-long May challenge of you don't mind waiting that long. :/
  • I'm travelling until mid-April, at which point I expect to be in hibernation recovering. :P I'm up for a month-long May challenge of you don't mind waiting that long. :/

That feels a bit too far off, imo. I'd prefer too not halt the momentum we seem to be gaining right now. Could We start one for the month of April? I mean it isn't as if not participating in one prevents you from joining in later.

Thanked by 3Jurgen Elyaradine Tuism
  • Anyone who's prepared to run the thing can start it, really :) Don't let your dreams be dreams!

Thanked by 1Jurgen
  • As a side note:
    I've been watching quite a lot of YouTube tutorials on how to level up my art etc. Something I've noticed is that most of these tutorials don't cater for me on a level where I see my art. So, I started thinking about how to level up myself, apart from drawing / painting every day / frequently.

Here is an example of what I do in terms of planning a painting:

The reason for me sharing this is:
    If the competition / challenge could be like an active development environment, like being in a game-dev-studio, imo that could open up participants enthusiasm and help them to get into the development vibe.
    For example:
    Let's say the parameters are set for the challenge / comp. If the participant shows his/ her progress and devs give feedback during events, it would then be up to said participant to show their capability to listen and then produce the necessary art.
    1.jpg
    1240 x 877 - 83K
    Thanked by 1TheCorinthian