[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 31 January

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Last Wednesday of the month

Where: Bandwidth Barn - 68 Albert Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town, 7925

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)

Talks - 2 x 20 min slots:
- Talk by Thorsten S Wiedemann
- New Year Pow Wow: panel/discussion on the state of game dev and looking forward into 2018

Focused Feedback - 2 x 10 min slots
- Cricket Through the Ages
- Drawkanoid
- GGJ Games!

Open Demo Floor

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1574107009345913/

If you'd like to give a talk or show something to get some feedback, please post below!
Thanked by 1pieter

Comments

• It'd be rad to have a lot of Global Game Jam games demoed. Perhaps even a combined GGJ South Africa wrapup (with short videos from all the game).

I should be able to ask someone at Free Lives to spend some time on that is no-one else is keen to.
  • *bump* this needs to be pinned as well please ;)
  • I hope I'll be able to make this one
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • Updated the agenda with some exciting stuff coming up this week!

If you were at GGJ and made something, please bring it to the meetup! Especially the games that won any sort of prize, but everyone else too!

@EvanGreenwood: if someone at FL is able to cut a short video together, that would be amazing, otherwise the plan is to show off the games that won prizes and then have a bigger area for everyone to demo their creations afterwards :)
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • The agenda for this month looks super good! I'm really keen to hear what everyone thinks is in store for the South African games industry in 2018 (and also hear what Thorsten has in store).

Also really keen to play a bunch of GGJ games!
  • Who is Thorsten Wiedemann and what will they be talking about please?
  • Thorsten runs the A MAZE festivals and other related stuff. He'll be chatting a bit about stuff like A MAZE Cape Town. He's visiting CT to make arrangements for later in the year. It'll be a short talk.
    Thanked by 1ChristopherM
  • Ill be at the Fat Cactus down the road from the Exchange from about 5pm if anyone wants to join for pre-meeting drinks
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Excellent event hosted tonight, thank you to all those involved.
    I find the discussion style discussions very engaging and informative, I don't mind it and I think it'll get better over time.
  • Hi! I'm Mauricio García, indie producer in the Spanish studio The Game Kitchen, makers of The Last Door and more recently Blasphemous.

I'm going to visit Cape Town soon, from 17 to 25 of February. Since I saw a while ago your outstanding infomercial I thought I'd be nice to reach out and see if there was any indie event or other meet-up planned for that period, so I could hang out with some of you ;)
  • @francoisvn I saw on Twitter the community news slide, and was intrigued what the committee bullet point was referring to - just curious! :)

DU4vpaBXUAAD7qH (1).jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 278K
    Thanked by 1critic
  • Clearly not francois, but the committee bullet point was about a committee/group that was formed at the last meetup.

It consists of some members (volunteers) that regularly attend the meetups and as far as I understand it will help with some of the logistics of the meetups. Since under my understanding francois was previously mostly doing it by himself. (Thanks for that!)

So now there are some members to help out, and with whom we can discuss any feedback surrounding the meetups.
  • @MGARCIATGK: Awesome! Glad to hear you'll be in the area! The next monthly meetup is just after you leave, but that's no excuse, we should arrange some sort of get together :D

@Bensonance: it's like @vince said, I just formed a small group to help run the meetups. By myself I can pretty much maintain them, but it would be nice to have some help and at the same time put some effort into growing the numbers. It came out of the November meetup, but this is the first meetup since then so just reported back on it. You can call us a committee, group, techno punk street gang or whatever :) Our goal is to solely to focus on the Cape Town meetups and IRL gatherings (if we have other related events in the future).
    Thanked by 1Bensonance