Parsec (VR canyon run rhythm + dodge) prototype

edited in Projects
So here's a terrible recording of the thing I've been working on: A VR (Daydream) rhythm game of flying at breakneck speed.

I can't seem to get away from musical games :/

(note that this is the view from the left eye, so things are off centre)

The ship is controlled by the daydream 3dof controller like a laser pointer. Think Wiimote.
When the ship is close to an orange strip, you accelerate.
The "music" speeds up as you go faster. The sounds are terrible because I'm not a sound engineer and I'm messing with procedural music (again).
Bullet time activates when a block is coming directly at you, hitting them slows your ship down.

Next things to work on:

- Better, more varied and predictable obstacles.
- Better procedural sounds during bullet time.
- Tweaks to the acceleration engine.
- Some kind of goal/interval.
- More variation in the way.
- An ambitious procedural random seed music + track generation machine.
- Possibly a 2D phone/tablet version.

Comments

• cool concept. looking forward to final graphical effects and look. kinda looks like wipeout
  • Can you explain the reason for doing this in VR? Without playing it myself, I can't really tell what VR adds to it (besides a barrier for entry).
  • roguecode said:
    Can you explain the reason for doing this in VR? Without playing it myself, I can't really tell what VR adds to it (besides a barrier for entry).
    A. I wanna make a VR game that really conveys a sense of speed without making people sick
    B. The depth perception actually feels pretty good and can work to really get you through a complex mass of obstacles - that's not in yet, but could.
    C. The control scheme fits the daydream 3 dof controller well - Not saying that it can't work with other controls, but the feel of knowing where you're pointing in physicality beats a stick or a mouse.
    D. That said, I'm not averse to building non-VR versions, and have thought of it already. Yes, I don't like the barrier to entry too.
    Thanked by 1roguecode
  • Kulu said:
    cool concept. looking forward to final graphical effects and look. kinda looks like wipeout
    Yeah like, the speed of wipeout, but not nearly as technical. Don't think I can get so technical yet, both because of the way the controls and VR are limited and because I have ZERO experience with racer controls and feel :) That shit is TIGHT (that wipeout feel).
    Thanked by 1mattbenic