Prototype

Hi there :)

I am making this game in Game Maker Studio. It's about an angel of some sort that can fly and do some platforming.

The idea for the future is that the room, which is currently 10000 x 10000 of size will be like a sort of arena where the angel battles an AI demon (which will be able to fly and platform as well).

Here is a download link if you are interested in trying the prototype out:
https://dropbox.com/s/w3za839qrjvbdid/Angel%28prototype%29_001.exe?dl=0

Keys:
esc = pause
enter = restart game
arrow keys left and right to move
up arrow key is jump
when player has jumped, press and hold E key to fly up vertically
When player has jumped, press and hold W key to slow down and remain in air 'stasis' until E key is pressed

Any comments and or feedback is welcome :)

Comments

• I'm setting a few goals for the next prototype here:

The player must be able:
    from 'any in air state':
    - to fly in any direction (North, South, East, West and combinations thereof).
    - perform a short dash in any one of these directions.

Ideas for further development:
    - Implement a demon which can track the player down and engage in combat, either on the ground or in the air.

Questions:
    - How does one estimate when a certain mechanic should be implemented or tested for the player, as the idea comes up?, or is it according to what the challenge of the game brings to the player?
    - What makes a successful prototype?
    2.jpg
    200 x 216 - 13K
  • Nyc pixels you have there. If you created the assets yourself then you have a skill i only dream to have.
    As for me, when i think of any amazing idea that i wish to implement inside my games, then the first thing i consider is if i can be able to program it based on my current programming skills. This is because i mainly use Unity and it relies heavily upon scripting.
    I think when prototyping something, you might just as well have appropriate graphics that are designed as close as possible to what you intend to replace them with once the prototype works. This is one of the issues that i have encountered in most of my prototypes, for example, i would create a working prototype with implemented game mechanics that i set-out to implement. But once i start using the same strategies to make the real game, then i encounter problems that i did not have with the prototype such as collision structures and animations details.

You can always make sure that your prototypes are TEMPLATES which can be easily modified to accommodate whatever particular style of game you wish to have at the end. Try not to make ridiculous prototypes that are very complicated and specific. If you can make sure your games has movements, working simple enemy AI and a working gameplay, then you can save it as a template and start focusing on the specification for the real game.

That's all i can say as a beginner myself.
    Thanked by 1Jurgen
  • @Absia, thanx for the post :)
    I definitely agree with you. I strive to create assets that hopefully inspire me to continue. Interestingly enough, the idea for this prototype is something I had more than a year ago. I left it initially because I did not posses the skills needed at that time.
    Sometimes, being excited about an idea gets the best of me as I try to think too far ahead, dreaming of success, instead of honing my skills and implementing what is actually possible.

Foremost, I am an artist and strangely I have some issue with using basic sprites (like blocks) to implement mechanics that deserve something more later on.
    I think it has to do with being over-excited/ hasty ito what I can do, the time it takes, what works as a mechanic and 'did I waste my time creating something that I won't/ can't use later on?'.

I like the template idea. Something to work from. Small achievements that could prove useful in future.
    Thanked by 1Absia
  • Having an interest in ancient Egyptian myth, I'm looking to bring it into this game as a variation on the theme of angels and demons.

Initially I thought the angel character would contrast the demon (also with wings) character well, yet, for me, introducing a demon without wings puts a challenge in my mind. I then thought that the room/level could be like a huge semi-labyrinth/ broken temple of some kind where the demon/s would play a kind of hide and seek with the player.
    demon_001.jpg
    945 x 668 - 46K
  • Yo @Jurgen!

Played your game a bit! Idea sound very interesting, would love to see how it turns out! Maybe you skip through various arenas as you beat the bosses? Then have environments that represents each boss?

Would be cool of you could fly in all direction, but I see you are planning on that :) Jump sprite looks pretty cool, like a tumbling Ninja haha.

Some suggestions:

-When you start to run, it feels like it takes a while before the player actually starts moving. Seems like it has something to do with the frames at the beginning of the animation?

- Running and jumping doesn't feel too responsive yet. Like when landing on platform and hitting jump again it doesn't always register. Think it might help to check for surface few pixels before landing?

Nice work!
  • Hey @SleepingSafari :D!
    Thanx for the post, much appreciated :) I like your ideas, cool.

Updates:
    - The run had a go state where the player leans into a run, that has been removed. Running, landing and jumping is more responsive now.

I've added a demon (red rectangle) that acts as target for the demon_finder in the top left of the screen. Using image_angle and point_direction it points at the demon at all times.

1a.jpg
    1617 x 807 - 77K
    1b.jpg
    1613 x 803 - 69K
  • edited
    Here are some concepts:)
    concept_page_001.jpg
    954 x 898 - 96K
  • More concepts:
    I'm looking to give the angel a sword and a shield.

Here I'm estimating the size of a boss_character. I'm thinking that a boss could also be part of a level, like defeating smaller parts of it before discovering and battling the 'main' part.
    concept_page_002.jpg
    1065 x 970 - 110K
    concept_page_003.jpg
    945 x 709 - 79K
  • Here is a demon concept. I also wanted to start figuring out the visual style of the game.
    demon_concept_001.jpeg
    400 x 400 - 31K
  • Here is a concept for a level 'hazard'.
    The eye part controls the muscle-blades (which extend and retract), if a muscle-blade is destroyed, the eye part regrows another muscle blade, until the eye is destroyed.
    concept_page_004.jpg
    800 x 600 - 48K
  • Here is a concept for the angel, sprite size at 100%:
    I'm working in Aseprite, and my canvas is 200 x 200 pixels.
    angel_001_concept.jpeg
    200 x 200 - 22K
  • Absia said:
    Nyc pixels you have there. If you created the assets yourself then you have a skill i only dream to have.
    As for me, when i think of any amazing idea that i wish to implement inside my games, then the first thing i consider is if i can be able to program it based on my current programming skills. This is because i mainly use Unity and it relies heavily upon scripting.
    I think when prototyping something, you might just as well have appropriate graphics that are designed as close as possible to what you intend to replace them with once the prototype works. This is one of the issues that i have encountered in most of my prototypes, for example, i would create a working prototype with implemented game mechanics that i set-out to implement. But once i start using the same strategies to make the real game, then i encounter problems that i did not have with the prototype such as collision structures and animations details.

You can always make sure that your prototypes are TEMPLATES which can be easily modified to accommodate whatever particular style of game you wish to have at the end. Try not to make ridiculous prototypes that are very complicated and specific. If you can make sure your games has movements, working simple enemy AI and a working gameplay, then you can save it as a template and start focusing on the specification for the real game.

That's all i can say as a beginner myself.
    I would strongly suggest switch to Unreal 4.
    Its Blueprint scripting workflow is very visual and great for devs with limited programming skills.
    You don't need to be able to program at all actually. :-)
    ... and Unreal 4 is more advanced and better looking than Unity for sure.
    ... and its free to use.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/what-is-unreal-engine-4

I'm playing around with the idea of gaining artifacts for use in the game. The hand of the dead would be an artifact that one could use to summon minions or perhaps opening a doorway etc :)
    hand_of_dead.jpg
    468 x 596 - 36K

Taking the artifact idea a bit further, they could be housed in pots like the above. The idea is that there are circumstances for what artifact is in what pot, almost like getting high quality items from loot drops etc.

Let's say I have three artifacts per pot to choose from, then I would based on the time it takes to get to said pot, define a variable that links "slow", "medium" and "fast" to certain artifacts.
    Artifact_pots_concept_001.jpg
    600 x 600 - 47K
  • A concept for the head of Apep:
    Head_of_Apep_concept_001.jpg
    432 x 384 - 30K
  • A concept for a 'Drowning pool'.
    The idea here is:
    If one passes over it too close, the dead grabs one and pulls you into the pool to drown.
    Drowning pool.jpg
    533 x 541 - 22K
  • Pixel art looking good @Jurgen!

Also, if anyone happens to be interested in UE4 like @etiennea mentioned, I can vouch for that blueprint scripting. I have very limited knowledge of coding and I got quite far using the blueprint scripting. I even managed to build a pretty neat little horror prototype with flashing lights and moving objects and triggered sounds, and didn't write a single line of code!
    Thanked by 1Jurgen
  • Let me know if you want music for this game. I have some ideas based on the art already. I also really like the style and feel you're heading for!

Some of my music:
    https://soundcloud.com/wolfbeardsounddesign
    Thanked by 1Jurgen
  • Hi @Wolfbeard, :D, thanks for the post, I've messaged you :)
  • Here is a character size comparison.
    The character in black and purple is one that the player shall encounter more than once.
    Chanracter_comp_001.jpg
    1200 x 400 - 144K
  • Prototype update:)
    https://dropbox.com/s/hgwr3jxvoptzamx/Angel%28prototype%29_003.exe?dl=0

Keys:
    Esc = pause
    Enter = restart game
    arrow keys left and right to move
    up arrow key is jump

When player has jumped, press and hold E key, then press up (fly up), down (fly down), right (fly right), left (fly left).

When player has jumped (or is falling) press and hold W key to slow down and remain in air 'stasis' until E key is pressed / combo input up,up / down,down / left,left / right,right / up,right / up,left / down, right / down,left for a dash in those directions.

While dashing, up / down / right / left may be pressed to shift in those directions. The only collisions that count whilst shifting are the wall objects.

When in air 'stasis', Q = attack. Combo (Q,Q) results in two Q attacks and a third attack displayed. Combo (Q,Q,W,W) results in an attack after the third attack that knocks the enemy back.

The demon-finder (top left of screen) points towards the enemy relative to the finder's position.

I also have a basic 'combo counter' in the top right of the screen.

1d.jpg
    808 x 405 - 50K
  • I had the idea to put murals in the game, here is an example:
    Mural_001.jpg
    1347 x 775 - 106K
  • Here is what a mural would look like in-game:)
    Mural_001(mosaic_a).jpg
    1347 x 775 - 537K
  • I've been thinking about the main character. As I'm starting to get a better idea for the world of the game and the types of enemies and npc's I'm imagining, an angelic character seems a bit out of place. Flying as an ability made the platforming part of the game a bit unnecessary. I am aiming for a 2d platformer as a general approach.

Hence, I made this concept:

I am working towards having the main character be a type of Lich who grows in power in various ways. Flying may be replaced with a short ghostly float ability. I really want to explore the idea of an underworld forgotten and dangerous, something mythical.
    Character_001.jpg
    254 x 579 - 26K
    Thanked by 1Sigh_Leeeee
  • Your art is really amazing dude. Im also impressed that you are able to work so consistently. Keep at it!
    Thanked by 1Jurgen
  • @Sigh_Leeeee, thanx :)

Here are some head concepts I did for the main character:

and here is an idle animation concept:
    Lich_heads.jpg
    418 x 333 - 29K
    Lich_idle(a).gif
    600 x 600 - 33K
    Thanked by 1roguecode
  • Here is a walk animation concept:
    Lich_walk(a).gif
    400 x 400 - 36K
  • Here is a concept for a type of 'seed'.
    This 'seed', is what I am currently exploring for a bit of a story.

Thus far:
    Hemra (main character) arises from his tomb and finds only demons, tainted dead and monsters to fight. As the plot unfolds and Hemra levels up and he encounters "extensions" of the 'seed'. The 'seed' influences the dead, to ensure its survival, like some sort of parasite that feeds on energy and dead things.
    I'm thinking that Hemra has an aspect of this 'seed' in him, hence his state. Leveling up could be either aiding the 'seed' or not in what you choose as abilities / spells etc. That would have some sort of consequence.
    Seed_001.jpg
    329 x 455 - 26K
  • edited
    Here is a screenshot of the prototype with lighting:

I followed this tutorial on Youtube:

For anyone interested:
    The code in the tutorial for the size variable, I put:
    size = irandom_range(400,500);
    Giving the light a flickering effect.
    Screenshot_001.jpg
    1037 x 805 - 52K