[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 30 August

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Last Wednesday of the month

Where: Bandwidth Barn - 68 Albert Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town, 7925

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)

Talks - 2 x 20 min slots:
- C# events by @ChristopherM
- Talk by Ian MacLarty
- Volantia by @Aequitas

Focused Feedback - 2 x 10 min slots
- TBD (this could be you!)
- TBD (this could be you!)

Open Demo Floor

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/129916777619822/

If you'd like to give a talk or show something to get some feedback, please post below!
Thanked by 2EvanGreenwood pieter

Comments

• I'm keen to continue from last month. Would like to talk about tweening through code.
  • As a pseudo-follow up to Stray_Train's talk last month about delegates, I'd like to do a talk on the related topic of C# events. It should only take about 10 minutes.
    Thanked by 2blacksheepZA dammit
  • @Stray_Train would you mind putting up your slides from the last meet up?
  • @Bensonance recently put me in touch with Ian MacLarty, a Melbourne based dev who's been doing some great work over in Australia. Ian is coming over to SA for A MAZE, and will also be down in Cape Town to visit family. If we have a slot open for him, he's keen to speak at the meet up about his work and the Melbourne community!
    Thanked by 2blacksheepZA dammit
  • edited
    I have a talk that I'm doing at Amaze titled "The Free Lives Formula For Making Hit Games" that outlines some of our process to vetting and developing game ideas into products, I'd very much like to give a smaller version of the talk at the meetup!
  • Could we please get a focused feedback slot for Plush Punch? We are exhibiting it at A MAZE and would love some last-minute feedback before the festival :)
    Thanked by 1BenJets
  • My bad, I thought that the meetup was this week - I'll already be on my way to PAX this time next week so I'll be unable to attend unfortunately!
  • Hey guys, If there's space, I'd like to do a talk about Volantia (the game we're launching on 1 Sept).
    What it is, how it came to be, and how we managed the remote work :)
    Thanked by 1BenJets
  • edited
    Woah, there's a lot of content for the meetup this month. Nice! :)

I think it makes sense to give priority to the talks that have some sort of deadline. Currently I see 4 potential talks and 1 focused feedback, which is probably a bit much, even if one of the talks is just 10 minutes. Maybe I'm wrong tho.

@BenJets: Is Ian still keen? I think considering he won't be around next month (I assume) he should get top priority

@Stray_Train, @ChristopherM, @Aequitas: Are you all still keen and ready to give a talk?

I've tentatively updated the agenda with all the content for now.
    Thanked by 1BenJets
  • @francoisvn Sorry to do this but we won't be able to do the focused feedback. We are still hard at work, trying to make sure that the game will be polished for A MAZE!
  • @francoisvn Yes I have slides prepped.
  • Hey @francoisvn - Ian is still keen! As you suspect; he won't be around for next month's meetup.
  • @francoisvn I'm still keen to talk but I don't mind moving over to next month if we need to clear up time, I suspect mine might run over time.
  • @blacksheepZA: no problem. Maybe we can have a demo next meetup for those that don't see it at A MAZE?

Let's move @Stray_Train's talk to next meetup. We've got 3 talks this meetup, and now we also have something to look forward to next time :)

See everyone tomorrow!
    Thanked by 1blacksheepZA
  • Hey! There will be food! We had a bit of a mix up last month, but everything seems to be in order for tonight. R50 contribution should cover it.

@francoisvn, I won't be able to make it tonight. Could someone collect the donations?
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • @mmillions_: cool. I'll make a plan to collect donations
  • Here are the slides from my presentation on events in C# in case anyone wants to look them over.
    ppt
    ppt
    C# events.ppt
  • edited
    I've converted my slides into a blog post and altered how the add and remove methods are introduced. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • @ChristopherM nice blog post, don't have any concrete feedback except for a nitpick here and there. Going through the post, you first define the 'incorrect' method of doing events, if someone is just skimming through the post on a 30 second glance and are looking for code to make the events work that's what they will absorb. I would define the correct method first then structure the post to explain why that is the correct method giving the incorrect method below. Also you label the incorrect method "Defining an event: How it's often done.", maybe being a bit more blunt and saying that the method is plain unreliable or prone to mistakes would be better. Also the title of the blog post reads very gently, maybe too gentle, it's below the radar IMO, "C# events: you might be doing it wrong", how about "C# events: you are doing it wrong ", I know it borders on a click-bait suggestion, but there is just so much stuff out there that you need a bit of bait. I certainly haven't encountered the add and remove operators and I have been coding for a long time.
  • Thanks @critic! Much appreciated.
    Thanked by 1critic