[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 28 June

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Last Wednesday of the month

Where: Bandwidth Barn - 68 Albert Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town, 7925

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)

Talks - 2 x 20 min slots:
- Procedural puzzle generation stuff by Danny Day
- TBD (this could be you!)

Focused Feedback - 2 x 10 min slots

Open Demo Floor

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/141629353068381

If you'd like to give a talk or show something to get some feedback, please post below!

Comments

• Worst Warriors finally arrived so I'll bring it with :)
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • :D @francoisvn we may have an update for you guys ...
  • Added a talk from the realm of Facebook.

@dammit: Cool! If ppl would like to play it will there be an opportunity for that?

@superbike_z: That sounds intriguing. Are you asking for some time in the agenda or just wanna chat to ppl before and afterwards?

Some ppl mentioned they might be interested in a talk about puzzle game design and UX stuff. I can't find a reference to that now offhand. Is that something folks might be interested in? I'm gonna be doing a bunch of design stuff in Jetstream over the next month or so, so maybe the next meetup might be a good time for me to give a talk about that?
  • @francoisvn would definitely be keen to hear more about the design stuff behind Jetstream
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • Sounds awesome. I will be there. Might even like to talk at one of the events with regards to Unity 3D and AI.

• @dammit: Cool! If ppl would like to play it will there be an opportunity for that?
    That would be the idea if there are keen players :)
  • @dammit: will you be there earlier if people are interested? What time?
  • I only finish work at six so can't really get there earlier, especially if I need to organise dinner first
  • @dammit: ok, I'll leave it up to you then :)

Anyone else wanna talk or show a game? I heard there might be some games from the Cute Jam this weekend. Does anyone want a focused feedback slot?
  • edited
    There is going to be food available at the event this month. @mmillions is organizing. There is going to be something like a donation box for those who have cash on them and want to contribute towards food. This is a bit of a trial run/ experiment, we're unlikely to have the numbers right this first month.

I want to bring along the cat game I worked on this weekend (along with @damousey and Melissa Kahn). I hope you'll bring along Nekoban @francoisvn ?
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • Awesome! I'll advertise the food on the FB event :)

I'll have my jam game there, but I don't think it'll have the cute gfx integrated yet, and I think I'll need to change the name at some point...
  • Were we ever allowed to park inside or must we park in the dark alleyways of Woodstock at night? :)
  • I will try to set up Plush Punch as well for people to test out if that's cool? :)
    Thanked by 1mmillions_
  • @AntiVoid: I'm honestly not sure. Our office has been at the Woodstock Exchange for 1.5 years now and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for when the garage door is open or closed, or if someone is there to open it. If you can get in I'm pretty sure it should be fine to park inside. Otherwise I think it should be fine to park in the reserved bays on the side of the building from 18:00 onwards, which is bit better than a "dark alleyway".

@blacksheepZA: yes please!
  • Ok cool. Was just wondering.

• @EvanGreenwood @mmillions: is there a "suggested amount" for the food contributions?
  • Hey @AntiVoid, the parking is open to visitors after hours and there should be security guards to let you in. I think they sometimes go on rounds, so they might not see/hear you.

@francoisvn the "suggested amount" will depend a bit on the amount of people that rock up and eat, but we'll come up with a number and let you know asap.
  • Heard from @mmillions_ that R 50 is the suggest amount for contributions, so bring that cash and come chow down with us. See you all later!
  • @francoisvn If you guys have spots on the agenda we wouldn't mind presenting the progress
  • The gate on William Street is currently broken and will probably be closed when you arrive. If you have trouble getting in try the door on the Albert Road side. If you get stuck outside and need help to get in, you can call me on 084 035 0214
  • I was actually hoping to come again tonight but alas, the life of a web dev - servers gone down. Fixing everything... sigh.
  • @AntiVoid: there's free wifi at the meetup ;P
  • Haha. Nice try but I use a big work pc - no laptop. It's murphy's law