[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 31 May

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Last Wednesday of the month

Where: Bandwidth Barn - 68 Albert Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town, 7925

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)

Talks - 2 x 20 min slots:
- A bit about "good" not being good enough by @EvanGreenwood
- Building a Massively Multiplayer VR Game Part 1 by @superbike_z

Focused Feedback - 2 x 10 min slots
- Augmentors
- TBD (this could be you!)

Open Demo Floor

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1369816723106504/

If you'd like to give a talk or show something to get some feedback, please post below!
Thanked by 1pieter

Comments

• I'd like to give a talk this month about a couple things:

A bit about "good" not being good enough. Similar to this post-mortem: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DanielWest/20150908/253040/Good_isnt_good_enough__releasing_an_indie_game_in_2015.php

But I want to reconsider a couple ideas from that blog (ideas which aren't exclusive to that blog), and I want to go much more in depth about what I think I see actually working for developers. (hint, it isn't making a "good" game)

I might even present some hard data (in the form of excel spreadsheets arranged in descending order) if @Squidcor helps me out a bit with his magic data scraping tool.
  • @EvanGreenwood: that sounds like a good talk (although we'll see if it's good enough ;P). It sounds like you want to cover a fair bit, so do you think 20min will be enough time for that, or will you need more?
  • If I think I'll need more than 20minutes I'll know closer to the time. I haven't timed the talk, but what I've written down doesn't look like more than 20minutes.
  • I might even present some hard data (in the form of excel spreadsheets arranged in descending order) if @Squidcor helps me out a bit with his magic data scraping tool.
    I can do this.

Thanked by 1Mexicanopiumdog
  • Hey Guys!

Would it be possible for my Team to show and get some feedback on our Alpha Launch coming up at the end of the month? :)

You can find out more about our game here: www.augmentorsgame.com
  • Hello guys,
    We just started researching and working on A Massively Multiplayer VR game, We would like to give a short talk on the insights we have learnt and kind of present our roadmap to people for discussion.
  • I'm the secretary at UCT CLAWs (UCT's society for board games and RPGs) and we're wanting to know if any of the MGSA community would. Maybe come demo/test a board game or two.
    Should I come make an announcement or should I just post on the forums?
  • @AnonymousTheSpy: hey there! If you'd like to make an announcement at the meetup that'll be great, and if you can't make it (or would rather not speak at the event), just share the details and I'll relay them at the event (if you share them then anyone else that misses the event can also see them). You are also very welcome to make a separate thread, especially if you wanna start a bit of a discussion about it and/or get any feedback :)

ICYMI, a couple of local board game designers showcased their work at FanCon recently
  • @francoisvn: Thanks. Could I make a 5 minute announcement at the Community Night? I'll also put the info up as a forum post too.
  • @francoisvn: If I want to show a single slide with the details and who to contact, can I just bring that on a usb?
  • @AnonymousTheSpy: sure, that should work just fine
  • is this event every last day of the month ?
  • @snake_2016: It's on the last Wednesday of every month.
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • Hey @francoisvn, could I make a quick announcement about a Serious About Games event that's coming up next week?
  • Hey everyone

Matt from Cape Town Testing here!

To hear more about the potential to get involved in our community and have a stall at our meetups to get your game tested by professional testers, please head over to http://makegamessa.com/discussion/4871/cape-town-testing-meetups-get-your-game-tested-by-software-testers.

Thanks for having us!
    Matt
    Thanked by 2francoisvn dammit
  • I know it's waaayy too late but if someone from the "Cape Town" community sees this for whatever reason: I'm still looking for a place to shadow (in the Western Cape) for a school project - will sort excel spreadsheets and bring snacks.

I would've come to the community night myself and ask but could not arrange for transport.
    Thanks
  • edited
    A few people have asked me for the spreadsheet from Evan's talk, so here it is!

Note that the data has been filtered to only include games that:

- Are tagged as indie
    - Cost at least 9$
    - Cost no more than 30$
    - Have a score rank > 50% (ie. are in the top half of all Steam games by user score)

Explanation of the columns:

tag - The Steam tag in question, as tagged by Steam users
    numGames - The number of games on Steam tagged with this tag (that match the filter requirements of course)
    averagePrice - The average base price of the games
    medianPrice - The median base price of the games
    averageScore - The average score rank of the games (ie. game has a higher user score than x% of the games on Steam)
    medianScore - The median score rank of the games
    averageOwners - The average number of owners of the games (Note that owners =/= sales)
    medianOwners - The median number of owners of the games
    averagePlayers - The average number of players of the games (Not all owners ever play a game)
    medianPlayers - The median number of players of the games
    averageEarnings - The average earnings of the players (basically: base price x owners. This is very naive and doesn't account for bundles or discounts)
    medianEarnings - The median earnings of the the games
    medianOwnersPerScore - Median owners / median score (do these games have disproportionately more owners than positive reviews?)
    medianEarningsPerScore - Median earnings / median score
    5k - Percentage of games with at least 5000 sales
    10k - Percentage of games with at least 10000 sales
    20k - Percentage of games with at least 20000 sales
    30k - Percentage of games with at least 30000 sales
    50k - Percentage of games with at least 50000 sales
    100k - Percentage of games with at least 100000 sales
    250k - Percentage of games with at least 250000 sales
    500k - Percentage of games with at least 500000 sales
    1m - Percentage of games with at least 1000000 sales
    games - The actual games with this tag, sorted by number of owners
  • @Squidcor: that's awesome, thanks! Any possibility of getting the script you used so we can tweak it and adjust the data?
  • @Squidcor: that's awesome, thanks! Any possibility of getting the script you used so we can tweak it and adjust the data?
    Quick and dirty C# console program

Afraid I can't share the JSON parsing dependency (it's part of a much, much larger system). But parsing JSON is a solved problem and it should be easy enough to swap it out with some other library.