[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 26 April

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Last Wednesday of the month

Where: Bandwidth Barn - 68 Albert Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town, 7925

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)

Talks - 2 x 20 min slots:
- Serious About Games: Vukuzenzele
- TBD (this could be you!)

Focused Feedback - 2 x 10 min slots
- Jetstream
- Solar Smash

Open Demo Floor

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/659081204294272/

If you'd like to give a talk or show something to get some feedback, please post below!

Comments

• Considering the Serious About Games competition has recently finished, it would be great if we could get a talk by Vukuzenzele on how they managed to win the R1 million prize :) /cc @shanemarks @davidhecker

Once ppl have had a chance to speak up, if there's still an open feedback slot I'd be keen to show some of what we've been doing with Jetstream.
  • Sure we can give a talk :)
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • edited
    Hello My Name is Naadir Buffkins Im a 16yr old student at Islamia College Gr10 interest in Game/graphic design. Im looking for an opportunity to job shadow. Im currently studying design at Frank Joubert (now Peter Clarke) school of art. Can anyone give me a suggestion as to what studios will allow me to shadow them, would be greatly appreciated
  • @BuffytheChampire: welcome to MGSA! Technically this is a thread for the next monthly CT meetup, but you're in luck, cause coming to the meetup is a great way to meet some local studios and find out if you might be able to job shadow with them! If that doesn't work for you, here's a great article about job shadowing the local industry.
    Thanked by 1BuffytheChampire
  • @francoisvn thank for having me with regards to the article ive decided to create my own game any software you'd recommend
  • I've updated the OP with the Jetstream focused feedback. Is there anyone else with anything they'd like to speak about or show tomorrow? Keen to seen everyone again!

@BuffytheChampire: I recommend trying Game Maker, but note you're still posting in the thread about the monthly meetup, so you'll probably get a better response if you make a thread asking for help. Make sure to include your specific needs: what are you good at? What do you want to do? Or alternatively, have a look through the search history for similar questions by others :)
    Thanked by 1pieter
  • Hey @francoisvn, we'd be keen to show our Ludum Dare game tonight if the focused feedback slot hasn't been claimed. Thanks!
  • @mmillions_: awesome, added it!

BTW, if anyone has a game they wanna show for focused feedback, bring it with! Considering we just have one talk we can definitely make some time :)
    Thanked by 1mmillions_
  • I think I might just venture out of my cave this evening and attend this. Are there any caveats concerning parking that a first-timer like myself should be aware of?
  • @WildCat: cool! The easiest is probably the open parking places along the side of the building, especially near the corner of Station and William Streets. Don't worry about places being reserved, after hours it shouldn't be an issue.