[Event] LD Game Jam 21 - 23 April 2017 @CPT and JHB

edited in Online Competitions & Jams
Hi All.

Having seen a thread earlier about some venue related issues, I'd like to offer the JHB Vega campus (444 Jan Smuts) as a venue for LD-39 (21 April to 23 April). We can offer free wifi (200 MB line) and I'll be looking into sponsorship's for food and possibly energy drinks although no promises on that (I can promise coffee however). I just need some kind of rough idea for numbers.
We have various sized lab spaces and small meeting "pod" spaces, some beanbags, vending machine, etc.

Vega Capetown and Vega Johannesburg campuses have all been made available to host. Sadly the notice for Vega Durban was too short but hopefully will be on board for August.

Note though, while Vega will be hosting the event I'm not attempting to "take it over" or anything of that nature.
Hope to see you there.

-Bob

-----------------------------

Joburg LD Jam venue:
Address: 444 Jan Smuts Avenue, Bordeaux, Randburg
Times open: Friday 16:00 to Sunday 18:00
Please bring sleeping bags. We have big beanbags people can crash on for quick naps but bring a sleeping bag for longer sleeps.

CPT LD Jam venue:
Address: 130 Strand Street, De-Waterkant, Capetown
Please bring sleeping bags.

The following will be available on the campuses:
2 Hosts from each campus (the lecturers will be looking after you), 24 hour access, secure parking, wifi.
Some of the canteens will be open on some of the days as well vending machines will be topped up.

Please indicate in this thread if you are entering LD at JHB or at CPT by copy/pasting this piece of text:
Forum username:
Team name: (If you don't have a team or a name just indicate here)
Team size: (Number of team mates)
Venue: (JHB or CPT

--------------------------

Comments

• The promise of food and energy drinks isn't completely needed however the coffee being promised is fantastic! I am keen to join but can't yet guarantee if I will unfortunately.

Hope enough are keen to make it a possibility.
  • edited
    hmm..

Part of me does hates to say this but the marketing team will be looking for the sponsorships in an effort to get "on-location" jams to become popular again (Tuism mentioned it on the previous jam thread) if we can get it, great! if not, it isn't the end of the world.
    We do have a fancy coffee/cappuccino machine that will be made available (and if we have enough people I'll gladly keep the coffee coming to the teams).
    Thanked by 2Tuism edg3
  • Having a solid location has always been a sticky point since Microsoft access has fallen away, and thus the location LDs have dwindled. I'm SUPER KEEN to have this happen, we really don't need the food and whatever - that's really never the point, for me at least. And I suspect a bunch of people. So regardless of sponsorship I would REALLY REALLY like to see this happen :)

PEOPLE PLEASE PUT YOUR HAND UP TO JOIN THIS LD! :D
    Thanked by 1edg3
  • I'd be keen.
    Thanked by 1edg3
  • If I could I'd be super keen to join this. I've always enjoyed doing Ludum Dare much more with other jammers (Broforce started as a Ludum Dare at UCT campus back in the day).

Thanks Bob for making this happen!
    Thanked by 2dammit edg3
  • Well we now officially have the Durban campus and the Capetown campuses available as venues for LD.

It's in all our interests to see the community grow, prosper and we'll help anyway we can, we just cant force people to participate...
    Unless they students
  • Admins, can we please pin this to the top?

@Krohlm could you edit the format of the title to something like "[Event] Global Game Jam 20 - 22 January 2017 @CPT JHB and DBN" just so that no one misses it :D ?
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • If details are finalised, please edit it into the top post in an can't-be-missed and clear way please :) <3
    Thanked by 1edg3
  • edited
    dammit said:
    Admins, can we please pin this to the top?

@Krohlm could you edit the format of the title to something like "[Event] Global Game Jam 20 - 22 January 2017 @CPT JHB and DBN" just so that no one misses it :D ?
    Haha! I'll edit the title but this is for LD.
    I've written to GGJ about registering us as a venue but no word on that yet.
    Tuism said:
    If details are finalised, please edit it into the top post in an can't-be-missed and clear way please :) <3
    Everything is finalized, our doors will be open for LD. Lecturers will be hosts/coffee delivery people to the teams.
    I know food/drink doesn't matter to you guys but we going to try organise as much as possible. In an ideal world, once you there it shouldn't cost you anything for the weekend (that's the goal at least).

It's a matter that we have people looking into it who can look into it, if that makes sense.
  • edited
    Okay cool, could you then update the details of the venue? Something like:

Joburg LD Jam venue:
    Address:
    Times open: xx:xx to xx:xx
    (Can we stay overnight? It's usually how it works, leaving and coming back is a chore that would be best eliminated. Bring sleeping bags? Are there couches to crash on?)
    To register, do xxx xxx xxx (if necessary, don't know if you need some kind of admin list of people or something)

CT LD Jam venue:
    etc etc

Thanks! :D
    Thanked by 3dammit edg3 francoisvn
  • Thanks Tuism, I'll get all that sorted out for you tomorrow.

Thanked by 2dammit edg3
  • Tuism said:
    Okay cool, could you then update the details of the venue? Something like:

Joburg LD Jam venue:
    Address:
    Times open: xx:xx to xx:xx
    (Can we stay overnight? It's usually how it works, leaving and coming back is a chore that would be best eliminated. Bring sleeping bags? Are there couches to crash on?)
    To register, do xxx xxx xxx (if necessary, don't know if you need some kind of admin list of people or something)

CT LD Jam venue:
    etc etc

Thanks! :D
    An update on this would be awesome. Thanks Vega for getting involved.

• I've just been in meetings to iron out details which is why its taking long for me to start a registration process.

Its just tricky to co-ordinate it over 3 campuses but I assure it will go.
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • We still game for Vega?
  • @Krohlm I'll pin this as soon as you've updated the OP to have details like @Tuism suggested :)
  • edited
    Joburg LD Jam venue:
    Address: 444 Jan Smuts Avenue, Bordeaux, Randburg
    Please bring sleeping bags. We have big beanbags people can crash on for quick naps but bring a sleeping bag for longer sleeps. Also obviously bring a computer along.

CPT LD Jam venue:
    Address: 130 Strand Street, De-Waterkant, Capetown
    Please bring sleeping bags. Also obviously bring a computer along.

The following will be available on the campuses:
    2 Hosts from each campus (the lecturers will be looking after you), 24 hour access, secure parking, wifi.
    Some of the canteens will be open on some of the days as well vending machines will be topped up.

Please indicate in this thread if you are entering LD at JHB or at CPT by copy/pasting this piece of text:
    Forum username:
    Team name: (If you don't have a team or a name just indicate here)
    Team size: (Number of team mates)
    Venue: (JHB or CPT)
  • Cool, jam time!

Forum username: @francoisvn
    Team name: solo compo
    Team size: 1
    Venue: CPT
  • I'm keen. Not 100% guaranteed that I can make it, but I am definitely aiming to.

Forum username: @ramperkash
    Team name: No team yet, might do solo compo but I'm open to collaboration
    Team size: 1 so far
  • Hey hey, I'll be there too :)

Forum username: @Bestnickname
    Team name: no idea, might work solo although happy to collab
    Team size: 1 atm
    Venue: cpt
  • Game jam? I haven't heard that name in years...

Forum username: @Stray_Train
    Team name: none
  • Forum username: @SUGBOERIE
    Team name: no idea, might work solo although happy to collab
    Team size: 1 atm
    Venue: JHB
  • Sad that I'm out of town this whole week and just happens to overlap LD :( but really good job for getting venues up and going! :D RAWR! :D

Looking forward to see what comes out the other end of this! :D
  • Forum username: Pierre
    Team name: Cafe' Ambivalence
  • Ya mo B there :)

Forum username: @Herman
    Team name: No team
    Team size: See above
  • Forum username: ProjectX
    Team name: probably solo jam as I have other commitments this weekend
    Team size: 1, as above
  • Did Durban disappear?
  • roguecode said:
    Did Durban disappear?
    Yes sadly, the notice was a bit short for Durbs as they need to organize a few extra people to assist.
    We should have that all sorted out for the August one however

• Good luck everyone!
  • Forum username: @kirsty_lee0
    Team name: none.
    Team size: 2
  • I'm hoping to pop in for a bit on Saturday and Sunday.

Forum username: @Miltage
    Team name: solo compo
  • Forum username: add101
    Team name: probably also solo jam as I have other commitments this weekend
  • Hey CT folks. When are you heading to the venue? I'm planning to come through tomorrow morning, hopefully around 10:00, if I can get up early enough ;)
  • I was thinking of coming through around the same time
  • So, how'd it go?
  • I made this: https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/38/tiny-politics

I decided to go for a jam entry (instead of the compo) so I can (hopefully) put a little more time into the game later today. At the moment it's more of a system that needs content, balancing and polish, but it gives a good idea of the direction it's going in.
  • Cool! i like the interpretation of the theme.

I had my students brainstorm ideas for the theme and was hoping one of them would make my personal fav idea which was a Dating Simulator where it's planets dating one another :D
  • I actually found that the theme didn't really help me. I couldn't think of anything that really fitted the theme and I wanted to make, so I just made something I wanted to try, kind of ignoring the theme :P
  • I didn't officially enter, because I'd been working a lot for the past while and intended to rest this weekend. But I still made something tiny: https://www.facebook.com/jhauyoon/videos/10155005851990673/

Was hoping to recreate the beauty/anxiety of drifting out into space, seeing the Earth recede away from you as you slowly float into oblivion, but didn't quite get that far.
  • Hey guys, just adding my encouragement from the sidelines. I think it's really cool of Vega to allow use of their venues, big props! Hopefully I can join you guys at some future GGJ or LD events.
    Thanked by 2dammit francoisvn
  • I made https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/38/mini-shaders

Basically a programming puzzle game inspired by zachtronics. I was told it was a bit dense/confusing, and that the try again button was broken and just generally it needs a lot of polish, but I was relatively happy with the idea at least somewhat coming to fruition.
  • Nitrogen said:
    Hey guys, just adding my encouragement from the sidelines. I think it's really cool of Vega to allow use of their venues, big props! Hopefully I can join you guys at some future GGJ or LD events.
    Have to echo this. The venue was pretty cool and it would be totally rad if Vega was able to do this in the future again! Thanks for organising this :)

Finished off my jam entry and made a thread.