Anyone keen on a board game design contest?

I'll post more details if there is any interest. I also have some modest prizes lined up.

Admins, is there anything I need to know about holding a contest?
Thanked by 1texhkt

Comments

• Digital entries will also be allowed, as long as you could print the game as well.
  • Not an admin, but I don't think there are any rules about it. If you want to hold a contest, and have enough entrants, then I think you can just go for it. :)

(There might be some resistance if it's some kind of company-sponsored contest where entrants' entries no longer belong to them, but I'm assuming that's not the case here.)
    Thanked by 2francoisvn Fengol
  • edited
    Just do it! Who needs permission to ask people to make games? :)

(Except if you're doing spec work contest, in which case SHOO. But I don't think that's the case :) )
  • Sounds good, would we be able to have some meetups for them? I can say I play board games with friends weekly and we play tons of different ones (and have played the one I am making). We are keen when this actually goes (and I will participate).
  • I did intend to sponsor it with my company, but not for copyright or ownership. My intention was for advertising and I can then write off the prizes as an expense.

Any games developed would be the property of the developers. I would not enter a contest where it was otherwise.

So it would be X design contest sponsored by Volthawk Software. If that's a deal breaker then I can leave it out. My main aim is to have the contest.
  • I did intend to sponsor it with my company, but not for copyright or ownership. My intention was for advertising and I can then write off the prizes as an expense.

Any games developed would be the property of the developers. I would not enter a contest where it was otherwise.

So it would be X design contest sponsored by Volthawk Software. If that's a deal breaker then I can leave it out. My main aim is to have the contest.
    contests with prizes often garner a lot more interest :)

Will this be online or in a physical location?
  • So I want the games to be as complete as possible, so I'm thinking about a month long contest followed by about 2-3 weeks judging. I'd like to have a couple of informal meetup days for playtesting.

Although I would like to offer up judging spots, I think it will be easiest if I do the judging with the group that I play with. I think it would also be nicer if the more experienced designers can weigh in during the contest and help less experienced designers.

I am open to any suggestions though
  • The nature of boardgames is that there's usually a physical component (cos you know :p) so it would be good if we can organise play sessions with judges to play either together or separately, but at least organised regionally.

I also presume this isn't a physical location jam cos it wouldn't be just 48 hours :)
    Thanked by 1mikethetike
  • Ok seems like guys are keen. Does anyone have any suggestions or preferred lengths? Otherwise, I'm just going to put it down as ending 17th or 24th April. That will (hopefully) give enough time for judging so that the games can be played at Geekfest in May. I know a few of the guys at Solarpop so I may (no promises) be able to get them to put some of the games on display at the board games areas.
  • I'm keen. I definitely think a month is required to get a play properly tested and tuned.
    Thanked by 1mikethetike
  • When is the comp starting?
  • Volunteering to judge, cos you know, I'm the Crusher of Dreams (TM) :P
  • @tuism, awesome. We can chat separately.

I'll post the theme and details on Monday. I don't want to clash with the Board Game Jam in CT this weekend.
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • I am interested , Will 3d models be okay?

• watson said:
    I am interested , Will 3d models be okay?

As in digital and viewable in some kind of 3D viewer, or 3D printed?

Being a boardgame contest, it has to be a game in physical space. If you have a physical game that uses 3D models in some way, sure why not :)