i need some small coding projects

i know c++, java , python, swift and pascal.
im looking to help out on projects, i have a day job, but i like programming - but do not do dev much at work, only if a project needed an simple android or ios app, simple network test tools using python, or delphi or c++ qt framework for simple gui to do things a bit faster. have the ability like anyone to learn a new language or "thing"., oh ja i did webgl at some stage but havent done more beyond just doing a simple structure, colour, movement and lighting.

id like some experience in the gaming industry - seems very interesting and the practice would really be appreciated, something to tinker with for a few hours at night.
Thanked by 1ArchieChoke

Comments

• Get a game programming book and start programming.
  • recommendation on a specific book? or just google game dev book?
  • If you can already program, I would recommend you find a small old game you like and try remake it. So try make Tetris, Minesweeper, Pong, Arkanoid, ... Pick any game engine that you like and go with that. There are often tutorials for these "common" old types of games, so you could follow one of those. As you go try make small improvements and tweaks, and generally just have fun :)
    Thanked by 2pieter mattbenic
  • edited
    inventwithpython.com

The are nice free books on the website.

@francoisvn method will fail you if you don't understand how code was put together... If you don't know game programming principles, you will give up making a game. So learn the principles first. Practice them, then you can do the tutorials when you understand how everything fits together.

They are also offering free unity book here

https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning
  • I'm with @francoisvn on this one, try and make something simple like an Arkanoid (Breakout) clone to start with. It has all the basics like collision checking, score, lives, player movement, powerups. You also get do a little stage design by making different shapes with the bricks.

In terms of tools I would suggest GameMaker Studio (Easy to use and free, totally not biased!), and if you've got some C# knowledge maybe trying out Unity. These I've found are the two most popular choices, but I know that some SA Devs also use Unreal Engine.

But honestly if it's just about getting started, the language (or tool) that you're most familiar with is the best (I've animated lightning bolts in Microsoft Excel :D) All you need to do is get it into some shape or form so other people can play it as well. But keep it small. Like one, maybe two months small ;)
    Thanked by 1mattbenic
  • Lol thanks guys :-)
  • tinzo said:
    i know c++, java , python, swift and pascal.
    im looking to help out on projects, i have a day job, but i like programming - but do not do dev much at work, only if a project needed an simple android or ios app, simple network test tools using python, or delphi or c++ qt framework for simple gui to do things a bit faster. have the ability like anyone to learn a new language or "thing"., oh ja i did webgl at some stage but havent done more beyond just doing a simple structure, colour, movement and lighting.

id like some experience in the gaming industry - seems very interesting and the practice would really be appreciated, something to tinker with for a few hours at night.
    Hi
    Are you still available? I currently need some hands on my project.
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • Hi ArchieChoke,

How can i help?
    sorry only saw message today.