Online gamedev courses

Hey there :)

This is my first post, so I guess some sort of introduction is needed :)

My name is Kyle, most people just call me Flash. I am a 3D modeler and indie gamedev with experience in MODO, Cinema4D, Substance Painter, UE4 and some other less fancy software! I am also starting as a Game Design/Development and Sound Engineering instructor at Getpix Creative College in Benoni.

I have been watching some forums and twitter for the last few months and I came to realise that are very little comprehensive courses on Game Design and Development. There are training sites like Udemy and the like which provide *some* help when it comes to learning but a lot of it is either too expensive or just not comprehensive enough.

The last few nights have seen me throwing ideas around between friends and a project formed :) A locally run online training website where budding Game Developers can learn much-needed skills from local experts!

I have already started building the site, and am now at the point where I feel it is safe to reach out to the South African Gamedev community for input.

The basic idea is to create an online learning environment where students learn from experts in various fields of game design and development. Instead of having 1000 instructors teaching low level skills, this site aims to keep the instructor count low and the course quality high.

If any of you are interested in coming on board as an instructor when the site goes live, please drop me an email (using gmail for now to keep the domain and website under wraps until launch) : flashpapergrind@gmail.com.

I look forward to hearing from you!

-Flash

Comments

• I think Judd Simantov tried to do something similar for character development for games. You might want to chat to him about his experiences. He is probably one of the most skilled 3D / Tech character artists to come out of South Africa (imho)
    Thanked by 1BuffytheChampire
  • Hey Shane

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I see he started gc-academy back in 2012 (seems to be dead now :( )

Having Judd as an instructor on Character Design would be epic, so I will definitely try contact him!

Thanks for the heads up!