GDC 2017

Who's going? :D

I'm totally jumping the gun here, but I might have some work being shown in a main conference talk. :P

Comments

• @SUGBOERIE and I will be there thanks to Train Jam funding. We'll be doing Train Jam to GDC then staying around for PAX EAST too :).
  • Arg, would have loved to. We were hoping we'd be able to get VALA there somehow, but it's simply just too expensive :(

For those interested, it costs R50k for cheapest indie exhibit option (and then R15 to R20k per flight).

"GDC Play is the most affordable, least complicated exhibit option at GDC designed especially for independent game studios."
    http://www.ubmgamenetwork.com/gdc/gdcplay.php
  • edited
    @SUGBOERIE and I will be there thanks to Train Jam funding. We'll be doing Train Jam to GDC then staying around for PAX EAST too :).
    YES. That's awesome! So happy for you guys! :D :D

@roguecode: tbh, if I had an indie game, I probably wouldn't spend the money on an exhibit slot. When I went before, I felt that the games on show there were a mixed bag, and I didn't feel like there was particularly big press or publisher hype around it (I wasn't paying attention so I could be wrong). But I would seriously consider going in general, if only to meet other game developers (indie or otherwise), share experiences, make friends, get critique from developers from all over the world, and just have a good time.

I know it's really hard to put a price tag on that kind of thing (money has different value to everyone, depending partly on how much you have to spare), so it's hard to guarantee that it'll be "worth it" (especially because you never know what's going to happen, I guess). I don't want to be dismissive or arrogant or be showing my privilege or anything, but I do think that for the vast majority of people who can already afford the computers, software and internet for game development, saving up the ~R30k for the trip isn't difficult if you're planning a year in advance, and that if you can't afford it there are avenues to get funding (as shown above!). Of course, saving the money is very different to dropping that amount of money on one event, so I totally understand the hesitation. :/
  • I'll be there. It'll be my first GDC :)