[Content creation] various

Comments

• No not at this point in time got my hands full at the moment handling two different assets stores and engines would be a nightmare.Would need to double the quality for the unity store should I ever consider that route, to even remotely compete there.

The good news is that the assets store I am with does support other engines as of late and will add support eventually for unity asset packages which does make handling assets easier.
  • Having loads of fun !!!

Thanked by 1critic
  • The early wip of the newest project, scifi again.

• Been a while since I have updated, done a few projects in between, started a new WIP this week, a underground base of sorts,Quite like this project, as I am doing some thing new, modeling wise, especially making use of unique UVs which I don't do all that often, does allow for more texture details and don't have to worry about seams all that much.

• edited
    End result of current content, busy working on with new animation assets

• new animation i am currently working on
  • In the mood and a new project calling for scifi textures, have a set of about 80 crafted textures made in photoshop.

Thanked by 1watson
  • edited
    Nice work , neat normal maps I like the sci fi panels and the vids
  • Thanks mate I have actually come to appreciate why textures are so expensive, pending how complex the normals are it can take 2 hours to get a texture done.
  • Normal mapping can be time consuming and often you dont get a the result you are looking for the first few times , well at least thats my experience with them .
  • edited
    But I am enjoying it a lot....some thing different for a change, I wouldn't mind working on textures for the next 6 months, build up a massive collection, and be settled for the next billion years :D
    Testing for continuity issues with definitely need to add additional texture that acts as a buffer between floor textures.Weather permitting I guess I will be playing some scifi games for art direction and reference ideas. I particularly like the grey and blackish scheme.It's difficult scheme to work, with as I need to add colour some how without being greatly disruptive to the colour scheme, a dark orange or just grey could do the trick.But I will have to see how adding test objects, compliments or disrupts.

A dark shade of grey to replace the blackish shade might work better.

Thanked by 1watson
  • Are you making these textures to sell on asset stores?

A good way to add colour I think, if you want to add some selective colour to the black and grey scheme, is to colour code areas, and then to have textures with coloured lines on them that lead to the different areas.

Half-Life 1 did this very well (and games like Portal expanded on it). If for instance the "hazardous waste" area is red, and there is a red line that leads along the side of the wall, then if the player needs to get to "hazardous waste" it is really easy for them to figure this out.

An example of a line that helps solve a puzzle in Portal 2: vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/half-life/images/6/67/Test_Chamber_04_P2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100619075457&path-prefix=en

This is particularly useful in first person games. It makes the level design feel a lot easier to understand and stops people getting lost. It also allows the game to be a little more colourful, and if kind of feels sciency (like the type of thing they would do in a large science facility).
  • Will be bundled with a modular kit for the asset store.Will see what I can do about colours, Multi layered mesh might be a better approach. Adding some red pipes on the floors with a metal path or grate above it might help, but I don't want to change the base colours too much as this will result in less reuse ability.
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • Just quick experimentation, Just to get some idea, and needs neater wires and a bunch of colours, but should provide some none disruptive colour additions.
  • edited
    Engine test of the final version, there are two version one with lights one without...

• I think this brings just the right amount of colour :D
  • Will be adding a couple of variations of this guy to the mix
    Thanked by 1jackshiels
  • Started adding the first corridors as well as first level assembly.

• The engine I am working with has absolutely no ability to create primitives so every thing show here had been model as construction kits.

So times I need to use a multi layered approach to get some more detail in to keep texture atlases, relative small. Normally I never go high then 2048 x pending the detail and size of meshes 4096 atlas is some times needed.

This means design the construction kits so that you can layer meshes and create some thing unique every time

Here is a quick example.I have learned quickly adding depth can do wonders.I think I have a decent handle on the colour scheme now
    imageg
    Thanked by 1typhvs
  • How much have you made on the Unity App Store to date?
  • joshken said:
    How much have you made on the Unity App Store to date?
    Nothing as I am not yet on the unity store, I am a bit of a perfectionist, so until I feel I can competitively compete with the quality on unity store, I spend time honing skills, and stick to one asset store. With the steam DLC's, own store sales, and commissioned work close to +- $10000 in the last 2 years.

Could probably triple that if I move to the unity store, I am not ready for that yet.
  • So this is a SciFi Ship Asset Package?
  • Pretty much. :)
    Thanked by 1joshken
  • Your assets are cool and polished. Keep us in the loop.
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Additional mesh layering

• This is very nice work, are you by any chance working on a game?
    Thanked by 1wizardofid
  • No not currently working on a game.I am going to do a 3D top down shooter later in the year.I am dying to get my hands dirty, however I still holding out for a couple of engine updates before I proceed with a game project.In the mean time I keep the model factory going.

But I will likely have to start with the assets for that, some time soon :D
  • Ooo, I like the scifi panels. Can you get some of them to be more reflective? Not everything, just some bits to sell the metal more as metal. Kind of like the reflective bits in here: https://80.lv/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/01_SceneMain.jpg
    Thanked by 1wizardofid
  • Yeah I wish I could, All of the Textures has PBR support, however the feature hasn't been implemented in the engine yet.The shader is also pretty poor, and only allows for global specular level, which isn't ideal, You could individually adjust specular levels, however as the engine updates, it may cause headaches, I have no time to go back to completed projects and adjust specular maps for clients on assets store, especially considering some assets packs are over 300 strong.

We are due for a DX 11 graphics overhaul later this year, it's painful having graphical limitations, I will rather muscle through it and reap the benefits later. All the textures are PBR compatible especially for metal things.
  • Really strong work man! I love that you are making textures from scratch too (I do love me some 80's sci-fi textures). What really caught my eye was the combination of futuristic concrete walls in natural settings - seems like there could be an interesting story in there... :)
  • Thanks mate.

Not sure how much work I will get done to day, with the cricket being on, Which Is why I started at 5 am this morning, when it's nice and cool to get some models done.Basically adding raised meshes now, and will be doing a 2 part mesh with windows for the bottom and raised part to connect for extra depth.
    Pretty happy with the interconnecting piece between raised and bottom the stairs finishes it neatly .Just need to get a door in there to finish it off nicely. I haven't exported the door models yet, Just need to get a feel for were they should be used :D
  • Fun part now with adding additional layers and different floor level.Busy adding a roof/wall support which should spurce up the dull corridor quite a bit.Was a bit concerned that the blue panels were going to clash with the grey theme, fits pretty snugly and it's over powering so definitely going to bring in some more blue panels.

One thing I have struggled with in the past was light sources, not so much where to put them, but rather to get them as natural looking as possible. I think I have a decent handle on that.Some red light sources wouldn't hurt, but that I am not so sure, red can be a son of a dog to get right

Thanked by 1watson
  • Dull bottom corridor spruced up :D

Thanked by 1watson
  • Sneak peak pretty much still a largely unfinished WIP :D
  • Keeping it simple with various additional entity layers.I would love to have added some wires, but the engine would not have dealt well with single plane wires, considering unofficially not supporting FXAA, and wanting to keep object polygons all below a 1000K.

Most Corridors cost as little as 64 polygons, low polygon is definitely the target here.I am keeping a mindful eye on the draw calls, but so far getting steady 85FPS with full camera rendering distance.Spoken to the developer of the engine, at perhaps doing a tech demo for the engine with the current content, as well as adding new things to the engine to specifically assist with the demo.Particles and cube mapping was what we agreed on the most important aspect to improve visuals in the short programming window available.

• edited
    Officially done with my scifi pack.Spent the last week researching fantasy goodies and stuff.Big problem I had previously is vertex manipulation. Fantasy content generally has a fair bit of weathering associated beveling edges with added normals can only hide cube geometry so much, as such I needed to address the issue of getting more natural looking weathering on cube shapes.

So I have been playing around with sculpting tools to find one that can address the issue. The end result
    Far more natural, and you can model first, import it into a sculpting tool and fine tune the weathering and the general shape, it doesn't fix uv stretching and the polygon reduction is a bit iffy for my taste so I import back into the model editor and fix and stretching of uv's.

I am pretty happy with the result and a step closer to more professional looking models.Some thing I also doing additionally is adding normal details, which saves 100's of hours of baking high poly meshes AO maps to convert to normals, I did this previously with the scifi textures, so had a firm grasp of the concept of normals and painting those details without having high polygon models.The trick is getting high detail reliefs to convert to normals and pasting that onto the normal before texturing.So I am definitely super excited, it does mean extra steps in the workflow, as well as a few more polygons which I can negate with adding LOD.

Stay tuned definitely going to be a fun few weeks of weathering and fantasy goodies.

This was the before
  • Before and after

• edited
    In between hardware failures, I am finally back at the keyboard, pretty sad, the old rig did a pretty good job. Lesson learned always have a back rig, I didn't so was pretty much out of action for 3 weeks.

Managed to salvage the old 2500K from the rig and got a new board, Ram, HDD and PSU, packed away for a rainy day.

Been making a few new assets the last couple of weeks, decided I needed to work on texturing a bit more when using normals, still a work in progress, but getting the hand of blending all the various maps to get a better over all result.

Here are the various bits and bobs, Currently playing around with metal, and girders, platforms and stairs.

• Ayo! Big thumbs up - absolutely brilliant work :D
  • Chuffed with how it came out in the end, just one more section to import then the re textures, going to go with red, blue and green, so that you can mix and match for larger variations.

Thanked by 1critic
  • New Top Down scifi kit

• Added a large door and door arch, next step is adding some writing on walls, and then finally the entities

Thanked by 1watson
  • Been another 6 months since the last update.

What Have been up to lately :D Top secret stuff...creating assets for various projects as well as creating content for other software. Created new content for this software released on steam last year.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/492150/MyWorld__Action_RPG_Maker/

Also did a couple of other little projects for my store account, as well as taking a 3 month break.
    So lots to update with in this post.

Currently working on another steam DLC,
    Current Code name is Cold war and is based on the Soviet submarine bunker.
    Here is the current WIP of that and some screenshots and progress as entity layers are added.

It start of with the corridor
    Metal walkways, support beams, upper and lower supports, it's still missing a control room in the middle.

Also managed to finish off a new sewer project, in PBR.

Some other bits and pieces
    Thanked by 2watson roguecode
  • That is it then for the curves for now, every thing fits together, now onto the separate entity parts and connecting rooms.
    Looking at adding the following Entity
    Electrical Boxes
    Curves Pipes
    Electrical pipes and separate entity clusters
    Pipes, valves, joints leaks, damaged railings, m

• Pretty long and slow process getting new texture in and tested, adding dirt masks and testing PBR effects.The improvement to visuals is 10fold
  • edited
    Had some family obligations that needed to be taken care off, so didn't get much work done, but I started, getting the hang of things again, creative juices is flowing again.

• So I have been busy with the bunker project for the past 6 months, A lot of stuff changed, improved and updated.Amazing to see how it progressed so far, I am currently adding all the in between detail like pipes, decals, debris and wires,Currently the content weighs in at a impressive 2.47gb, the development folder close to 80gigs....