Please delete this discussion

edited in Jobs
Please delete this discussion as I have decided to place my project on hold until i feel it is more possible.

Comments

• edited
    [Removed by moderator]
  • edited
    [Removed by moderator]
  • joshken said:
    Boy oh boy...
    What? I placed thought into it and have decided to get the project further into development personally before i start looking. I admit i removed it rather fast but i honestly realized i should wait until i make more personal progress on it.
  • I also admit, I need to start on some smaller based projects first. I have been trying my best to downscale the one I mentioned but perhaps it was a little big even then. This is why I am going to progress personally on it for now and aim to setup smaller projects to start off as a better starting stone.
    Thanked by 2critic AngryMoose
  • edited
    [Removed by moderator]
  • If i really did misunderstand something you said, let me know. It was just the way i understood your comment and my own personal thought on it.
  • Hi Glcelebi

I can't see the first couple posts here. But it looks to me like @joshken is being a bit hostile.

Sorry if this was your first introduction to these forums. We really do want to hear about your project.

Usually working a bit on your project first yourself to at least explore the space and figure out what your limitations are is a good thing. So it sounds like you're following a sensible path.

From what I can gather from the last couple posts it seems like it was quite an ambitious project. What I'd usually suggest in order to approach this kind of project is find one bit of it that you think you can execute by yourself and innovate on.

If the game project is a large RPG, then perhaps tackling some of the writing, or designing some of the characters, or building a low-fi prototype of some of the combat, would be a good place to start. I think for any game to be successful there needs to be something about it that stands out from all of it's competitors, so it makes sense to try a build a piece of it first that can stand out (and this would also give others confidence to join your project should that be a thing you desire).

Like with Broforce, when we started it, we just had shooting baddies and the destructible terrain and climbing on walls. That was enough to keep the excitement up and move onto the following tasks, and so on. Obviously some kinds projects are easier to break down into component elements than others, and that's also probably something worth considering when choosing which projects to work on.

Anyway, hope to see you more on these forums. Maybe you can post your progress as you go and perhaps get some useful insights here.
  • edited
    Hi Evan
    Thanks for the boost of confidence, I admit I think I misunderstood what joshken was trying to say. If he was being hostile, I probably semi felt it was that and something else. I admit, I admire you guys for what you pulled off with broforce and it's just one of the many reasons I love indie development. My game idea is perhaps a little big but I definitely am not attempting an rpg here. The idea is a steam punk anime art style exploration based 3d game with environmental puzzles. I was looking for modelers/animators to help out in potentially making something as a starting stone in my path towards an indie dev future, but in my own thought, I'm also attempting to decide if the project is perhaps too big for a first game or not

I'll definitely be aiming on trying to make some progress on it on my own until I find someone
  • @Glcelebi, as @EvanGreenwood mentioned - build a prototype! The nice thing about building prototypes is that if you finish it and people like it, you know to carry on. But if you never finish it, you still end up learning stuff directly ("I can build a basic shader now" etc.), or indirectly ("I'm more interested in X than Y" etc.).
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • edited
    I admit that which is why I chose to remove my discussion. I realized that as well and decided I'd attempt a prototype on my own first to show off. It will be long and difficult but I'll learn a lot and like you said it's a great way to draw attention which is my plan. I'll have to attempt some personal modeling then and use possible assets if there are any. Thanks again rogue code. I'm not sure when I'll attempt shader coding though XD but there's a first for everything hehe. Also, thanks again Greenwood for a bit of an insight into how you handled it. Always nice to hear a developers thoughts on how they started.
  • One thing to note, it may take a heck of a long while but this idea is definitely one I'm keen on finishing one day but I'll learn from it too as I create it.
    Thanked by 1joshken
  • edited
    There's a great talk by Jonathan Blow (the creator of Braid and The Witness) where he says something to the effect of:

"Only attempt projects where you've already got most of the skills to complete the thing."

He says it much better, but the point he makes is that it's really hard to exercise creativity when you aren't a master of the skills you're practicing. Like writing a complex piece of violin music is near impossible if you can barely play violin.

Of course, as we make games, we keep on getting better at making games and mastering new skills. So we can generally keep on aiming higher with each game, and each previous game will teach us a lot of new skills.

And I think as this applies to just starting out, it's worthwhile to create small prototypes first. Just enough to test the idea you need to test, just a single idea. And as you do this you can attempt more and more complex projects.

Like the games we're attempting at Free Lives now are a bit more complex than Broforce was (only a bit though) and Broforce was a lot more complex than the first games I made any progress on.

In any case. Good luck. I hope you post your progress here, even if it doesn't seem like much to you, we were all starting out at some point (and a lot of us are still starting out).
    Thanked by 1mattbenic
  • Glcelebi said:
    One thing to note, it may take a heck of a long while but this idea is definitely one I'm keen on finishing one day but I'll learn from it too as I create it.
    You are on the right track! The key here is to make stuff, lots of it. I am always tinkering with a project or three even though I am a full time game dev.
  • @Glcelebi, I noticed you have about half a dozen game projects in your portfolio that you linked in the original post. Do you maybe have some videos or screenshots that you can share?
  • edited
    critic said:
    @Glcelebi, I noticed you have about half a dozen game projects in your portfolio that you linked in the original post. Do you maybe have some videos or screenshots that you can share?
    Hi critic, most of those are smaller projects which were done for my course but as for the bigger projects which i spent a fair bit of time on planning, designing and executing them. I had quite a bit more fun with them.

Here is a link to my portfolio again for those interested in seeing some of my work: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-nvMJDrdwqrc0xvbGx2YlluSms
    Each game has a windows and mac build up there for those that want to try them out.

As for videos and screenshots, i haven't made any yet for them as they were intended for an assignment and not so much for something i intended to release.

Okuri Inu and the spirit realms was my biggest project and one i had a lot of fun with the concept but was difficult to pull off as I had to make a lot of the art myself. (Not all was mine though).

That game took me 3 months of planning, creating and gathering assets and developing as i also enjoy being a level designer besides coding. The idea behind that one was playing as a yokai (demons) called Okuri Inu and attempting to pass trials to be allowed to join the night parade of 100 demons.

I'll see if I can gather some snapshots/videos soon to share though.
  • The other games were very small ideas i had about an hour to make for a test except for the one called reguLAR Surreal adventure which i had about a week to work on.
  • Glcelebi said:
    One thing to note, it may take a heck of a long while but this idea is definitely one I'm keen on finishing one day but I'll learn from it too as I create it.
    You are on the right track! The key here is to make stuff, lots of it. I am always tinkering with a project or three even though I am a full time game dev.
    Thanks bischonator, I already do so not only for my own enjoyment but for learning and making lots of stuff is definitely a great way of learning all sorts. :D

Thanked by 1bischonator