Kill Soney

Moved my initial discussion to a "project" category - and gave the project a name = "Kill Soney"

Below is a slightly "smarter" AI - tha will try dodge bullets, if the AI is feeling "threatened" - still needs some work. (But getting there)

Comments

• Have you checked out this game yet?
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/270150/

Reminds me a lot of your game
  • Hi know right. My game is too generic. Sad face => :(

Been trying to rack my creativity cells to come up with something unique. That could make my game stand out.

I need a revelation of some sorts. :)

I was thinking 2 options:

1) Add a interesting story/plot that will keep people engaged. (i.e. story styled - "revenge to kill Soney")
    a) this could be fun - but can take a really long time to get off the ground.
    b) will require many cut-scenes - I might enjoy that
    2) Add a unique/fun mechanics. Example: to like a cave level type of thing - where the user needs to swing and jump. (i.e. timing and skill)
    a) Requires clever level design.
    b) this might be easier - but might become to generic again.

Looking at what I have already. What do you guys think..?

I don't mind taking this game into an new direction.
  • Hmm. I relate to the above. Building mechanics is a lot of fun. But it seems demoey and futile without context and a closed game loop. I'm having the same trouble with my 2d game.
    I'm taking my que from the double Dragon arcade game design. Meaning that the mechanics are still 99 % of the game. But there are some bite sized cinematics. And the dialogue is in small one liner sentences.
    This gives the player a reason to engage while keeping a nice fast pace in the story.

If it takes more than 2 sentences to explain in words, then try using pictures or scene context to convey the idea instead.

Like when the player appears to be stuck, they didn't give him a lengthy briefing of the objective with a map... They just bounced an arrow on the screen.

anyway. That's my recommendation. Have some narrative, but keep it light.
  • Have you thought about making the game available on something like itch.io or similar so people can play and give you feedback? @EvanGreenwood mentioned on another thread how important it is to get user feedback so you can validate/update your design.
  • Have you thought about what kind of feeling, experience or fantasy you want to convey? It could give some ideas for doubling down on that (even if it comes at the expense of cutting out some of your existing work), and hopefully push you to explore a solution that's more unique, and that isn't too similar to existing games.
    Thanked by 3Fengol pieter Tuism
  • Ok.

I finally figured out what I could so with this game. :)

I want to turn it into a "escape from prison" style game. Anyone remember the board game from the 1970's called: "Escape from Colditz". I'm thinking of basing some of my game idea's off of this old board game. I believe a video game has already been made based on this old board game - but it is a super old game now.

Here is an idea of the castle i need to escape from. (This castle has been converted into a POW prison.)

The game will start out with the player being released from solitary confinement. From here the player will be free to roam certain parts the prison/castle - but will be required to show up for roll-call every few minutes. If the player does not report in for roll-call, the guards will become aggressive and will actively seek out and try capture the suspicious POW. Once captured the player will be sent into solitary confinement again. Making it harder (but not impossible) to escape.

There will be many different rooms that the POW can go into and explore. In these rooms the player will be able to collect certain inventory that will allow the POW to successfully escape from the prison.

I think this could make for a more interesting type of game..?
    Thanked by 1MoonPanda
  • Fengol said:
    Have you thought about making the game available on something like itch.io or similar so people can play and give you feedback? @EvanGreenwood mentioned on another thread how important it is to get user feedback so you can validate/update your design.
    Yes - i am pushing for this. Thx.

Thanked by 1critic
  • Better finish it. :)
  • Improvements on Camera follow script...
    + moving the player into a new room (i.e. moving inside of a castle):

Once inside of the rooms. There will be some interesting items to claim to help you escape this prison once and for all...

Still to do:

1) Add prison guards.
    2) Add inventory items.
    3) Stitch all the rooms up nicely.
    4) Add escape points outside of the castle walls
    5) Add prisoner roll call mechanism (time intervals)
    6) (Finally) Add small animations (cut) scenes
    Thanked by 2roguecode typhvs
  • The camera is looking really good!

Something that stood out for me was the walking speed not slowing down when walking against stuff. Something simple we did to solve this was to set the animation speed by (abs(thisFramePosition - prevFramePosition) * magicNumber * delta) instead of by the intended speed.
  • Thanks - @roguecode - will look into that...

Suppose I could also add some sort if "friction" material to the walls. hmmm...
  • I like the concept of escaping out of prison. Sometimes making a game unique can be the theming and art style of a popular mechanic. That could be something you try to stand up.

For example what if you're a toddler trying to leave day care. And you have to keep going back to class otherwise the teachers will panic. You can still use the same mechanics but the theming is different and could become very funny.

Keen to give it a bash when you throw up a playable thing.
  • UberGeoff said:
    Improvements on Camera follow script...
    That camera is looking smexy <3
  • Looks cool :)
    Game already seems to have a nice feel.
    I like the transition from outside to inside.

Is Soney the name of the player’s character?

Suggestion:
    For mobile version, try to reduce number of buttons on the bottom-right.
    With so many buttons the player might often look at the buttons to see which one to press. Which can be a hindrance in an action game.
    But first test it on mobile and see how it feels with many buttons.

• Hi there

I am looking to game testers. If you want, you can Apply here for Android APK..

Game Notes:

1) If you walk into the castle (from anywhere). You will move into a room. Will clean this up in a later build. Example: only when you go to specific doors.
    2) I am still focusing on platform performance. i.e. keeping 60 FPS.
    3) There are only 2 "areas" to the game right now. A: Outside the castle and B) Inside the castle.

Dipso said:
    Is Soney the name of the player’s character?
    . Response: It might me. :)

Dipso said:
    For mobile version, try to reduce number of buttons on the bottom-right.
    . Response: I have done this now. Thx

• edited
    Latest update: Trying to simplify this game - in a hope to get it finished - :)

Made for mobile devices...
    Thanked by 1farsicon
  • I really love your art style. Its perfect!

Can I ask you one big favor. Could you explain how you made those explosions or send me a prefab of it because it is absolutely insanely well done!

I have applied to give the game a test
  • edited
    Zaphire said:

I have applied to give the game a test
    Hi there @Zaphire - sorry for the delay - I have been working on many elements of this game for the community.

Sorry I have moved the app here now: https://rink.hockeyapp.net/recruit/27ba2493ad1e4f12ab3426152c0cbf33. I have set this link to "auto" accept your request to download. Note: this is a Android APK ONLY for now.

Features added:

1) Enemy destruction - after death
    2) Hit points for all units
    3) More enemies
    4) Post image effects (trying to get a good Frame rate)

• Hi there

I take it that the above Android APK was not a good/useful format to show off a demo here...? :)

What format would you guys prefer..?
  • You could publish a beta branch on Google Play, they have that functionality.
  • OK. Will check that out. Thx.

• Wont look as cool on a Mobile device: But still worth a look:

Trying out a "Zombie apocalypse" feel:

Thanked by 1critic
  • edited
    [Update] -

1) switched to VertexLit Shader - for mobile performance improvements.
    2) Moved player unit to a ground vehicle.
    3) improved on lighting - massive effort to get lighting right. :(
    4) Improved "destructable" object creation workflow.
    5) Added a "better" feel for mobile gameplay.

• UberGeoff said:
    Improvements on Camera follow script...

Once inside of the rooms. There will be some interesting items to claim to help you escape this prison once and for all...

Still to do:

1) Add prison guards.
    2) Add inventory items.
    3) Stitch all the rooms up nicely.
    4) Add escape points outside of the castle walls
    5) Add prisoner roll call mechanism (time intervals)
    6) (Finally) Add small animations (cut) scenes
    This looks cool i love it :) a multiplayer addition would complete your game :)