[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 30 November

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Last Wednesday of the month

Where: Bandwidth Barn - 68 Albert Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town, 7925

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)

Talks - 2 x 20 min slots:
- Echoes and Heartbeats - Creative Inspiration & Inspired Creation by @Benjets
- IGF Judging: bad game designer, no twinkie by @dislekcia
- Genital Jousting Launch by @EvanGreenwood

Focused Feedback - 2 x 10 min slots
- Yojimbrawl by @EvanGreenwood
- TBD (this could be you!)

Open Demo Floor

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1213518268696443/

If you'd like to give a talk or show something to get some feedback, please post below!
Thanked by 2pieter blacksheepZA

Comments

• Hey hey!

I'm stoked to be able to make this month's meeting, having missed out on the last couple!

If you're looking for some content on the night, if people are keen on the idea, I'd be stoked to deliver the talk that I did earlier this year at A MAZE. It's called "Echoes and Heartbeats - Creative Inspiration & Inspired Creation" and looks at how we, as developers, put out content that's shaped by other people, and how our own creations can go on to inspire others. I focus quite a lot of attention on the emergence of "let's plays" as a new art-form and how this ties into my echo theory. I finish things off by looking at some specific ways that we as Team Lazerbeam, have been inspired by the small community of youtubers that have started following us.
  • edited
    I have a new version of Yojimbrawl I'd like some feedback on. But as I've shown it off before I'm happy just to bring it on a laptop.

We also launched Genital Jousting since last I was at a meetup, I could say a few words on that? (not a full twenty minutes though)
    Thanked by 1Squidcor
  • @Benjets: sounds cool, that'd be great. Is 20 minutes fine or do you need more time? I think we could give you more time if you need it

@EvanGreenwood: I think a focused feedback slot for Yojimbrawl will work fine, it's not an issue that you've brought it before. Would also be keen to hear some more details on the Genital Jousting launch :)

I've updated the agenda :)
  • It might be even cooler if Ruan shows off his prototype he made in November. It's also a 4 player local multiplayer game, though it depends on Ruan (who is flying from Mauritius tomorrow).
  • If Ruan is keen, maybe the coolest would be both?
  • Just added another talk to this jam-packed meetup, which will be the last of the year in CT!
    Thanked by 1blacksheepZA
  • Sounding like it's gonna be an awesome meet up - see you all there!
    Thanked by 1blacksheepZA