Got a Job In Cape Town

Hi Guys,

I just got a job in Cape Town at City Varsity.
Any help with is appreciated with getting situated.

Any Make Games Events or Meetups, Cosplay Events and the such.

Also If you have ever Lectured, Any Tips you could give me ?

So I'm driving down tomorrow See you guys soon :).
Thanked by 1roguecode

Comments

• No! No one help him.
    These Durban defectors don't deserve help, we have few enough for meetups already.

(Congrats btw :P)
    Thanked by 1Mexicanopiumdog
  • roguecode said:
    No! No one help him.
    These Durban defectors don't deserve help, we have few enough for meetups already.

(Congrats btw :P)
    Hahahaha Sorry Rogue :P

I will come back for holidays and family promise.

• There's a monthly meetup on the last Wednesday of the month. The next one will be on the 30th. You should definitely come to that!

Next week is the launch of this competition: http://makegamessa.com/discussion/4477/serious-about-games-competition#latest

We also occasionally have game jams and such, but they are always announced here too.

That's all I can think of now, welcome to the Cape.
    Thanked by 1pieter
  • Hi there! Welcome to Cape Town! Which subjects will you be lecturing at City Varsity? I studied there for three years so I could fill you in on their background. Also keen to chat with you as I might also be part-time lecturing from next year onwards. As @francoisvn already mentioned - the meetups are the best starting point to get into the swing of things, so come along!
  • Hi Sumisukyo

all I can say is POLYCOUNTMUSTFALL!!!!!! we have lived under the oppression of High polygon counts for far too long. POLYCOUNTMUSTFALL!!!!!

Ive never tried lecturing , but a teacher with a sense of humour helps to keep the audience awake during classes. All the best.
    Thanked by 1sumisukyo
  • Hey man. Congrats on the job!

If there is one thing I learned, both as a student and as a lecturer, is that students will rarely say that they are struggling when you ask them if everyone understands.
    Luckily you should get an idea of who needs help just through some interaction with the class, but it will make life a little harder for you than needs be.

But never give up on a student, as nothing beats getting them to understand(and love) what they are studying.
    Thanked by 1sumisukyo
  • Congrats on the new job. I assume you're helping them out with their game design course? What will you be lecturing?
  • Hi there! Welcome to Cape Town! Which subjects will you be lecturing at City Varsity? I studied there for three years so I could fill you in on their background. Also keen to chat with you as I might also be part-time lecturing from next year onwards. As @francoisvn already mentioned - the meetups are the best starting point to get into the swing of things, so come along!

Thanks Mexicanopiumdog, I'm the new Game Design Lecturer at City Varsity starting today.
    Please do feel free to PM me and let me know anything you can think of :).
    Looking forward to the meet.
  • dammit said:
    Congrats on the new job. I assume you're helping them out with their game design course? What will you be lecturing?
    Thanks Kulu and Vince, I agree and hopefully I can argue for more control over the course of the year.
    Currently 'Dammit' they use Unity and Maya, which is a great starting ground and hopefully they can get to play with Unreal with me.

Thanks for all the positive information Guys it's been a big help, I've been reading the emails as I drove down from Durban it's really made me look forward to Cape Town.