Any Libgdx game developers in the forum?

So since I found this website this year and have been seen the activity in here.All I see is unity topics.So is there any libgdx programmers in SA?

Comments

• I've made some games with libgdx for Android, moved over to Unity...
  • GameMaker user :D
  • edited
    I use Cocos2d-x but have read 3 libgdx books when I was comparing which engine to use and also read Mario Zechners book showing you how to build an engine similar to libgdx. The reason I didnt use libgdx is that I could not test on my windows phone.
  • critic said:
    I've made some games with libgdx for Android, moved over to Unity...
    I think you shouldnt have moved to unity but should have learned unity and still be making games with libgdx, thats what I am trying to do ,I dont wana stick with only one framework/engine I think thats very bad for a developer.Libgdx can teach you things that unity cant and vice versa.

• pieter said:
    GameMaker user :D
    I am definitley going to try game maker next year cause this year I am too busy and pieter I hope to work with you some day I downloaded your asset pack that you uploaded I am currently creating a game with them I will post soon ,but I am struggling to create isometric game its my first time
    SkinnyBoy said:
    I use Cocos2d-x but have read 3 libgdx books when I was comparing which engine to use and also read Mario Zechners book showing you how to build an engine similar to libgdx. The reason I didnt use libgdx is that I could not test on my windows phone.
    Yeah that book was my gate way to using libgdx and I am currently reading Cocos2d-x by Example 2nd Edition by Roger Engelbert
    Thanked by 1pieter
  • There are few resources on cocos2d-x and for that reason I want to start writing tutorials on the subject. In the book you mentioned above, there are lot of things not covered. First the author doesn't use good coding practices or design patterns. Most of the code is put into one gamelayer class with all objects not separated from the classes which makes code reuse almost impossible.

2. Very important things like using tiled are left out and the author creates his procedural terrain and doesn't explain well how he created it.

3. Instead of him using already defined cocos2d collision detection classes, the author uses the old way of checking collisions which complicates the code.

4. New UI is not covered which is better than old system and cocos has simpler way of defining physics but the author uses box2d without showing you how to add box2d classes to the game.

5. The author coverers 7 games in a 250 page book which means lot of things are left unexplained and this is supposed to be a beginners book...

Looking at reviews of the book, I really thought it was a great book until I finished reading it.
  • Yeah I dont know about others cause I am new to cocos2d-x but number 5 is bothering me too 7 games in 250 page book thats not okay,but ey books are there to give you a foundation of game development and the rest of the information comes from actually creating games and practising, I dont think there is a book that can teach you everything about game development.