Google Developers Relations: Launchpad Build Event

Hi All, got the following email from the Google Developers Relations Team:

Google's Developer Relations team in Sub-Saharan Africa will be hosting the Launchpad Build Event Series in Sub-Saharan Africa to help developers better understand the range of features in Firebase.

We'd like to invite Make Games SA to the event (further details below) - kindly share with the Make Games SA team for them to apply to attend.

At this event, you'll engage in talks and hands-on codelabs focused on Firebase Analytics, Firebase Cloud Messaging, Firebase Crash Reporting, Firebase Test Lab, Pirate Metrics, Serverless with Firebase, Tensor Flow and much more.

This is a 1-day, technical event, with multiple sessions on Firebase, facilitated by Googlers and Google Developer Experts from around the world.

For further information, visit the Launchpad Build Event Series Sub-Saharan Africa Website (application form link: bit.ly/lpbuildssa2016apply ).

The first leg will be held in Lagos (22nd Sep), followed by Nairobi (26th Sep) and finally Cape Town (29th Sep).
Thanked by 1AngryMoose

Comments

• Nevermind Firebase. I wish Google would let South Africans sell apps on the play store!
    Thanked by 2critic Nancy
  • AntiVoid said:
    Nevermind Firebase. I wish Google would let South Africans sell apps on the play store!
    I fully agree with this, priority should be allowing us to sell on the app store, then analytics might become useful. Would be really nice if this could be brought up during the event.

• critic said:
    AntiVoid said:
    Nevermind Firebase. I wish Google would let South Africans sell apps on the play store!
    I fully agree with this, priority should be allowing us to sell on the app store, then analytics might become useful. Would be really nice if this could be brought up during the event.
    It's been brought up many time on the forums in the past, and with Google directly. It has very little to do with Google and *much* to do with the South African Reserve Bank. There's no point in regurgitating what can be found on the forums here with a search :)

More importantly, it is something that @lexaquillia and IESA are actively lobbying for change in, so if you want to see that happen, join and support IESA!

• Applying pressure is always good, the SARB might not be allowing something that Google wants, but countless international firms have no issues paying developers in South Africa, so Google probably has other means of paying us that they don't want to take.

I would go as far as to suggest boycotting this event.
  • critic said:
    Applying pressure is always good
    @critic: not true, applying needless pressure can negatively impact or break down ongoing relations, which are still very important to the local industry. I suggest you join IESA like @AngryMoose recommended - IESA is actively lobbying for positive change like this in a much more productive manner than a "boycott" of an unrelated event.
  • edited
    A boycott can be more productive than years worth of diplomacy if handled properly, and it has been years since we have been 'lobbying' for Google to allow us to sell on the app store. SARB is not going to budge, that leaves us with Google changing their policy and Google doesn't seem to care or the right people are not aware. A boycott can raise awareness that might lead to them noticing the local developers.

But obviously this is not going to happen, just judging by the hearts being dished out, you have my two cents.
  • I think you're making those assumptions based on your lack of knowledge of the actual situation @critic. IESA and @lexaquillia have *literally* been in meetings with representatives of both Google and SARB this year trying to resolve the issues that block Google Merchant Accounts from being offered to South African companies.

There is a process underway, and while Google wants this to happen, they are under no obligation to, and coming at it from an aggressive and hostile angle isn't going to achieve anything.
  • I'm basing those assumptions on what is publicly known to me, the fact that these developments are not communicated to this community is a different issue, one that should also be addressed.

Also I have no idea why you see a boycott as a hostile and aggressive method, it's a tool, it can be used with good intentions and effect, even with a simple peaceful action like staying away. Take something as simple as the #FeesMustFall issue we are facing currently, surely there have been 'lobbyist' communicating the need to have affordable higher education in this country for years, yet the issue just gets brushed away.

A mass action like a boycott can further the cause in the way a few guys negotiation behind closed door can not.
  • Anyone manage to attend this last night?