[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 27 July

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Last Wednesday of the month

Where: Bandwidth Barn - 68 Albert Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town, 7925

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)

Talks - 20 min slots:
- SCARF by @Nandrew
- Gamification: MGSA and the SA Fintech sector by @JohanNagel

Focused Feedback - 10 min slots
- Game audio curriculum by @Mexicanopiumdog
- Yojimbrawl by @EvanGreenwood

Open Demo Floor

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/900005686793350/

If you'd like to give a talk or show something to get some feedback, please post below!
Thanked by 1Enthused_Dragon

Comments

• I'd love to see people bring all their awesome #SAGameJam games to show off! It'll be a great opportunity to show everyone what you worked on and get some rad feedback from playtesters :)

@Nandrew: are you keen to do your SCARF talk?
  • I would like to book a talk slot to get some ideas for a potential game audio curriculum. It might just be a brief intro on my behalf and the rest just some brainstorming with you guys!
    Thanked by 2pieter Gibbo
  • Sure thing, put me down for a talk! The idea has had time to mature, it'll be rad to prepare!
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • I would like to book a talk slot to get some ideas for a potential game audio curriculum. It might just be a brief intro on my behalf and the rest just some brainstorming with you guys!
    If you think it'll be brief, mind taking another ten minutes to take a stab at teaching us something? ;) I'd love to see an audio 1-2-3 for the non engineers among us :)

• @Nandrew this is possible - is there a certain area that you want me to touch on? I remember you telling me that you want to hear about basic Foley?
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • A foley thing would be awesome in my opinion ;)
  • I would like a slot to talk about ;

Gamification: MGSA and the SA Fintech sector
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • edited
    I'd like to get some feedback on a prototype called "Yojimbrawl" . This is a rework of the 2013 prototype of the same name, I'd like to present both versions and mention the challenges we're facing.
    Thanked by 2pieter Elyaradine
  • I'd like to see the return of meatier game making talks. As such I would like to present a tech arts talk called: Pixels are just numbers - which, while only a brief primer, will plant a few seeds about how to think about shaders and pixels as data. Relevant for artists, programmers or anyone else curious about 3D.

It seems we are oversubscribed though, also next month is Amaze, so I don't know when?
  • @TheFuntastic Yes please! This sounds like an amazing talk!
  • Oh wow, it seems like there's quite a demand to talk at the next meetup! I think it makes sense to keep the number of talks limited to 2, especially considering we have a game for Focused Feedback. So far I have the following candidates for talks: Do any of you have a pressing demand to give a talk, such as preparation for A MAZE or EGE or some other deadline that can't be moved? if so, I think we can prioritise those talks, otherwise maybe we have some preferences from the community on what they'd like to hear?

In terms of the next meetup, I think a bunch of ppl will have already left for A MAZE (I know I will have). Thanks for the reminder @TheFuntastic. I guess the best will be to mention this at the meetup next week and see what the demand for a meetup is and/or if there is someone that can run things. If you have any thoughts on the matter so long, let's hear 'em :)
  • I can give room for other peoples talks, I would just ask to get a feedback slot for the curriculum a la 10minutes
  • Heheh, I'm flexible as long as we can get this confirmed at least a few days in advance.
  • @Nandrew has been sitting on his talk for a while. So let's maybe go with his and @JohanNagel s talk. I'll need a bit of time to prepare mine adequately.
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • @TheFuntastic: thanks, I think that simplifies things quite a bit for now.

I've updated the agenda. Looking forward to all the exciting content on Wednesday!
  • I'd love for there to be some games from the jam at the meetup, getting extra feedback after the talks are done.
  • We'd be keen to bring our #SAGameJam game to tomorrow night's event to get some feedback from the community. Do we just bring some laptops along so people can give it a go?
  • @mmillions_: awesome. Yeah, just bring the hardware that you need along, and there will be time after the meetup with a bunch of eager players :)
  • Can you please announce the EGE game jam? We've only got 4 people coming, but I can hold off til tomorrow. If I don't get at least 8 people I will need to cancel
  • Mebe a bit out of the blue...or late...or sometin...but is anyone driving past UCT and willing to give a lift? I'll have a cuppa (coffee) ready as payment.
  • @LexAquillia: will do! (already have it on the list of news, but will make a more prominent note of it)
  • @Nandrew's SCARF talk was really good. Thank you for presenting it.
    Thanked by 1Nandrew
  • edited
    Both talks were great this evening! Thanks @Nandrew and @JohanNagel !!

I think I got some useful feedback, but I definitely spent too much time presenting and too little listening. Hope it was interesting for those watching.

Glad everyone got to see Anomalous Identity!
    Thanked by 2atomicdomb Nandrew