[SA Game Jam 2016] Expression

SA Game Jam 2016

- Project name: Expression
- Level of experience: Hobbyist?
- 48hr entry

I do art professionally but programming would be at hobbyist level. Wanna try keeping art to a minimum for this one too, for the sake of practice.

Already have a few plans for Saturday so I'll only be able to work tonight, and then Sunday, so will probably be making something quite minimalist. But I'll be happy if it's functional :P

Submission
Narrative might be a bit difficult to follow on the first playthrough if you aren't concentrating...so CONCENTRATE. There are 3 characters involved in this "story". Jordan, Alex and Riley, as represented by their subtly branded mobile phones. The player picks emoticons, and watches the ensuing story unravel...in reverse. (Although does sorta work in chronological order, if you're not paying attention, but works better in reverse).

The rest happens in your head, until the final scene where 1 out of 4 possible endings come to light, depending on how you "expressed" your feelings (perhaps subconsciously) during the playthrough. Ends a bit abruptly unfortunately, didn't have time to give it any "the end" fanfare.

IDEALLY play this alone without anyone watching, and pass it onto several other people, then discuss how it played out for each of you individually. Haven't tested this but theoretically you should get at least a couple of different endings depending on your collective moods.

Minimalist, as promised, but this was really fun to make and write :) Learned so much. Sad I wasn't able to spend more time on this in general, including testing other people's games, but weekend was packed >_<

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5hb4i7swbplw2mu/AAAHz1Qc4DxaznenbnrVC4gpa?dl=0

Comments

• Progress so far...
    GUESS what it's about, bet you can't :P

• I wanna go with 9gag memes about autocorrect but I sense deeper forces at work here. Its almost 3am and my eye sight not that grand, is the other smiley saying really???

wishing you all the best, I cant wait to see what you come up with.
    Thanked by 1Jelligeth
  • Whatsapp simulator? I vote for adding the blue "read message" ticks for maximum simulated awkwardness.
  • Kree8 said:
    I wanna go with 9gag memes about autocorrect but I sense deeper forces at work here. Its almost 3am and my eye sight not that grand, is the other smiley saying really???
    I think it's "Riley!". The autocorrect aspect could be amazing.

Especially when paired with this:
    Whatsapp simulator? I vote for adding the blue "read message" ticks for maximum simulated awkwardness.
    Looking forward to seeing this either way, don't think I've ever seen a game based on this.

Thanked by 1Jelligeth
  • Thanks folks, have been learning a lot so far :D

"Whatsapp simulator" is probably most accurate, but don't get too excited :P creating a functional chat bot is a bit way out of my skill level.

Still need to decide if I want it to be phone or pc chat, it's not terribly important but main difference is how the typing is going to animate and whether or not there'll be an onscreen keyboard (or time to make one).

One thing that I guess I'll "reveal" is that the player won't actually be typing anything.

I like the idea of the blue ticks though, will try to see if I can incorporate that somehow.
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • Narrative might be a bit difficult to follow on the first playthrough if you aren't concentrating...so CONCENTRATE. There are 3 characters involved in this "story". Jordan, Alex and Riley, as represented by their subtly branded mobile phones. The player picks emoticons, and watches the ensuing story unravel...in reverse. (Although does sorta work in chronological order, if you're not paying attention, but works better in reverse).

The rest happens in your head, until the final scene where 1 out of 4 possible endings come to light, depending on how you "expressed" your feelings (perhaps subconsciously) during the playthrough. Ends a bit abruptly unfortunately, didn't have time to give it any "the end" fanfare.

IDEALLY play this alone without anyone watching, and pass it onto several other people, then discuss how it played out for each of you individually. Haven't tested this but theoretically you should get at least a couple of different endings depending on your collective moods.

Minimalist, as promised, but this was really fun to make and write :) Learned so much. Sad I wasn't able to spend more time on this in general, including testing other people's games, but weekend was packed >_<

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5hb4i7swbplw2mu/AAAHz1Qc4DxaznenbnrVC4gpa?dl=0
  • Oh, forgot to make screenshots.
    Also found some mistakes today, and remembered that I forgot to add the blue ticks >_< ah well

• Looking forward to playing this :)
  • This is such cool idea. Lookign forward to giving it a go.
  • Very cool. I think you did better at a coherent story here than my own attempt :D