IN NEED OF AN ARTIST

I'm looking for a partner to help me create a 2D isometric RPG adventure, I'm very new to games development and would really like to partner up with someone who can help realise my idea

Comments

• I think you might get more response if you can describe the project in more detail, or ideally so some gameplay using dev art.

But I also am considering hiring an artist and I've been asking around for rates which seem to start from R500 an hour for a student or junior artist. I don't know about other industries but in the traditional IT sphere that's a top developer's pay, around R84,000 a month! WTF or am I missing something?
  • @Fengol

I agree that seems very steep for a student or junior. My dayjob is mechanical engineer and again only top management could hope for that rate. Maybe we have to rethink our career paths ;) lol
  • Hmm, a student or junior should probably be charging around the R250 range, my odd projects I go for R300. On the other hand, you get what you pay for and these projects can often be huge.

http://makegamessa.com/discussion/1271/wes-s-art-dump#Item_25

Look at it (I got a day job in UI design so admittedly my turn-around time isn't great).
  • @dando

Something you could also consider is buying art of the Asset Store, this might cost you less in the end than working with a professional artist. The Unity asset store has a wide range of art available that should be suitable, especially in the early stages of design. Have a look at David Wehle's blog post here: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidWehle/20160706/276452/So_Many_Projects_So_Little_Time.php. He talks a bit about the benefits of using asset stores and names a few.

Hope that helps!
    Thanked by 1dando
  • (I don't think this should be posted in the Portfolio section.)

I think you'd struggle to find an artist unless (1) you can pay, (2) you've got some experience, so that you're likely to be able to carry the project through to completion and won't drop the ball half way, or (3) you have a project that somehow looks incredible exciting to work on.

But I really don't think you should use not having art as an excuse not to work on your game! It's totally acceptable (even encouraged) to be using cubes, blocks, circles and spheres and just make something functional that gives both you and potential artists a practical idea of what the game's actually about. Plus it gets you some experience to make it a little more likely to be able to attract talent in the future.

--
    I think it certainly can be useful to use Asset Store art for prototypes, but I do wonder about the effectiveness of those assets for an actual commercial title. I feel like purchasing tools and scripts off of the stores doesn't hurt the game (aside from potentially muddying your code base, especially with stuff that has to run real-time) because generally nobody can see what tools you used (e.g. Probuilder, Rewired, Amplify) based on playing the final product. But when it comes to individual assets in a commercial game, I feel like purchasing art off of a store is likely to hurt you, because the assets are likely to be generic, not tailored to a strong theme, not tailored to your game's camera angle or resolution or platform, and therefore generally poorly optimized. (It's not necessarily the artist's fault. Just as in programming, the general solution is always going to be slower at run-time than the specific one.) I also think it's unlikely that you'd find all of the elements you may need in a game (UI, environments, characters, effects, animation) that adhere to the same art direction, so it's likely to look like a Frankensteined project with little consistency. (There are probably a small number of games for which this wouldn't be a problem though.)

But I'm an artist, so I'm biased. :P
    Thanked by 3pieter stofStorm dando