[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 27 April

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Last Wednesday of the month

Where: Bandwidth Barn - 68 Albert Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town, 7925

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)

Talks - 20 min slots
Jake Birkett's The No Hit Wonder - 11 Years and Still Going. How? (50 minutes)

Focused Feedback - 10 min slots
StreamLine

Open Demo Floor

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1063861403673620/

I'm expecting loads of LD Jam games to be shown off, so please bring yours! :D
Thanked by 2pieter francoisvn

Comments

• Okay, which GDC Vault video do we want to watch at the meetup? Any talk nominations, maybe stuff that isn't free but looks interesting?
  • I nominate Jake Birkett's The No Hit Wonder - 11 Years and Still Going. How?

NOTE: the day is a PUBLIC HOLIDAY but we will still be meeting.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • dislekcia said:
    Okay, which GDC Vault video do we want to watch at the meetup? Any talk nominations, maybe stuff that isn't free but looks interesting?
    I nominate any of the Level Design ones
  • @Cheatsi: do you have a specific Level Design talk in mind?

I don't feel too strongly about the talk, and it doesn't seem like many other do either, so I propose we have a quick vote on potential candidates at the start of the meetup and play that one. Sound good? If so, please come prepared with any talks you'd like considered, and even better, post a link here for easy access :)

I'd love to grab a focused feedback slot. Got some mockups for Streamline we'd like to show and get some feedback on.
    Thanked by 1pieter
  • edited
    I wish I could make this particular meet-up. Our game, Bunny Bash, launches as Early Access on Steam on Thursday (28th) and I have to unfortunately remain at work to whip and beat some of the minions that Wednesday since we're still trying to get the launch trailer ready.

If anyone is interested in seeing it, or trying it, pre-launch on Wednesday at the meetup I'm happy to hand out a couple of Steam beta keys which will unlock immediately.

Have a great meetup guys.

• edited
    @clive: good luck with the final push to launch!

For those that want a sneak peak, you can view the mockups we'll be showing tomorrow here: http://bit.ly/streamlinemockups
  • I've wanted to join these meet ups for a long time, tomorrow I may have the chance. I released my first Android game February (sandbox simulator that allows you to to build model airplanes) and it reeks of inexperience, but I'd like to show it to people who know the industry anyway. I'd be happy to discuss how I made certain things, or solved certain problems. Hopefully get good feedback on what to improve on the updates. Do I join up for a talk, or just bother people at the meeting afterwards?
    Thanked by 1dislekcia
  • @Sparrow: why don't you bring it along to show people (before and afterwards), and get an idea of things? Then if you like you can sign up for a talk or focused feedback at the next meetup if you'd like to. Sound good? :)
  • Sure, sounds good! :)
  • If things look a bit quiet, don't worry the meetup is still on. Just call me at 0840350214 if you need help getting in
    Thanked by 1clive