[Event] Global Game Jam 29 - 31 January 2016

Hey hey,

Global Game Jam is going to be happening again next year: at the end of January.

Last year's GGJ thread

Collection of games made this year

Did we make a list of GGJ from last year? (I can't find it)

More info about GGJ:
http://globalgamejam.org/about

Johannesburg
http://globalgamejam.org/2016/jam-sites/johannesburg

Cape Town
http://globalgamejam.org/2016/jam-sites/cape-town-uct

Pretoria
http://globalgamejam.org/2016/jam-sites/pretoriajam

George
http://globalgamejam.org/2016/jam-sites/fuzzy-logic

When: Friday, 29 Jan 17:00 - Sunday, 31 Jan 15:00
Where: Link(s) above.

Make Games!

Comments

• Anyone keen to team up? Will need an artsy person to join me!

Might have to take part remotely depending on how my year turns out...
  • GGJ asked us to make a poster representing or promoting our Jam location so I am in the process of making one as we speak, I will post it up later and I guess everyone can decide if they like what they see.
  • So what do you guys think?
    SouthAfricaGGJ16Poster.jpg
    2480 x 3508 - 553K
    Thanked by 2dammit pieter
  • Looks largely cool, I'm just confused by the huge picture of CT in the middle, along with the #CapeTown. I was expecting to find details about the CT venue, but there was none, so what's the point of it?

And what's the purpose of the poster? Who's it for?

If it's for people who might be interested in jamming but might not have heard about GGJ, then maybe there should be at least very briefly some kind of quick definition of what a game jam is, and what kind of people we're inviting. (e.g. people who make games, including programmers, artists, sound guys, board gamers, etc etc)

If it's for people who already know what GGJ is, this poster doesn't really add to what they may or may not know. A quick google will tell you the dates of GGJ.

So, nail down what the poster's trying to say first :)
    Thanked by 2pieter Sash
  • Ok thanks, well to clarify the message being portrait, that GGJ organizers asked if we were designing a poster that is promoting the event in our local area to please share it with them with added local flavour so I thought of Cape Town since that's the well known part of SA in the world. My initial idea was to add pictures of the events of each area but since I don't have pictures of Cape Town's venue I just decided to stick in that arial view, if you guys want something else to be in there please share your suggestions.
  • edited
    Okay so, you want the poster to promote the event in your local area? Where are you going to stick it up? Who do you expect to see it?

Like I said, if it's for people who don't know what GGJ is, you'll need to inform people of that in the poster.

Sticking pictures of the area doesn't help communicate what GGJ is or make the poster inviting to people who might attend GGJ.

Local flavour isn't strictly "a picture of local". It could be font use, it could be some kind of image (taxi? Pap? Ndebele patterns? Nelson Mandela? Whatever?).

End of the day, the poster is a tool for communication to people who see it. So think about who might see it, and think about what they'll understand from seeing it. That's important.
    Thanked by 1NickCuthbert
  • Ok thank you for the feedback, I will take what you said into consideration and design a new poster, I will distribute it via social networks that is linked to local game developers or people who interested into making games.
  • So updated the OP, and a warm welcome to the PTA crowd who have their own venue this year :)

With regards to the poster: I haven't heard anything about one from the org team about it, or seen anything in the docs that they have. @Crash can you link me to where this was indicated please :)

With regards to the poster. It's kinda funny to have a giant CT in the mid since there are currently more jam sites in Gauteng :p Otherwise those design minded have already said things far better than I could.
  • Update OP with CT.

Also Jammers can now register \:D/
  • @creative630 Awesome! Looking forward to it (and the other jams between now and then, like Ludum Dare on December 11)
  • Cool that Pretoria has a venue this year. Anyone going to make use of it? I see there's nothing in the area in terms of food and such, so I might just head through to Jhb.
  • Cool that Pretoria has a venue this year. Anyone going to make use of it? I see there's nothing in the area in terms of food and such, so I might just head through to Jhb.
    There's a couple of campus restaurants at the Innovation Hub IIRC and the campus itself is about 2km from a big shopping centre full of takeaway places that will know how to deliver there. You might need to organise a little more than usual, but you shouldn't go hungry ;)

If the back gate of the campus is open you'll be able to get to Hatfield and all the stuff around UP really easily.
    Thanked by 1kimardamina
  • Just a reminder that if you've signed up for the CPT venue, you need to also email Patrick. All details on the GGJ CPT page.
  • Will we be able to bring a PC and take part or only laptops?
  • edited
    @Zaphire usually there are a few peeps who bring pc's, the only risk is if you leave your hardware there overnight or something. They usually organise a security guard that sits outside the venue, and people often sleep in the venue that could keep an eye out for you. However, there is always an element of risk even with all the precautions :)

Edit: I assumed you meant the CT venue, not sure about JHB.
  • @creative630 it's basically the same here. ;)
  • @Zaphire, I took my PC with to GGJ Jhb 2015 at the beginning of this year, and it felt really safe there. Also, not anyone can leave or enter the venue after 22:00, you have to organize with the security for that. But then again, I stayed there the whole weekend :)
  • Yay! Game Jam Time!
  • edited
    dislekcia said:
    Cool that Pretoria has a venue this year. Anyone going to make use of it? I see there's nothing in the area in terms of food and such, so I might just head through to Jhb.

There's a couple of campus restaurants at the Innovation Hub IIRC and the campus itself is about 2km from a big shopping centre full of takeaway places that will know how to deliver there. You might need to organise a little more than usual, but you shouldn't go hungry ;)

If the back gate of the campus is open you'll be able to get to Hatfield and all the stuff around UP really easily.
    I am talking with our partner who gave us the space, Mlab, to see if they can sponsor with drinks and foods. But that will be easily clarify early January.
    Thanked by 1KleinM
  • Anyone gonna be at the Pretoria venue? I'll go if I feel like I'm proficient enough with unity by the end of the month. I see that @CodeCthulhu is going to Jo'burg even though we have a venue in Pretoria so maybe he's not the only one?
  • charly said:
    Anyone gonna be at the Pretoria venue? I'll go if I feel like I'm proficient enough with unity by the end of the month. I see that @CodeCthulhu is going to Jo'burg even though we have a venue in Pretoria so maybe he's not the only one?
    Go anyway. Who cares about proficiency?
  • @dislekcia Thanks. Then I think I will. The only problem is just that either I see my proficiency as an issue and refuse to work with anybody (which seems to defeat the purpose of the Jams) or I overestimate my skills and then I end up messing some people around.

But you're right. I think I will, I suppose it's experiences like these that we learn the most from.
    Thanked by 1Mexicanopiumdog
  • Hey guys, I noticed on the Global Game Jam site that there is only 1 registered person for the Pretoria location. since I am from Pretoria I don't mind joining the site but since there is like no proper participates I will stick to the Jhb site. I guess no proper marketing has been done to advertise, Perhaps I can make a small Video Ad and ask Mweb's Gamezone if they can share it around so that we can have more participates. what do you guys think?
    Thanked by 2Sash KleinM
  • @Crash, please do that. I am also from Pretoria and would love to join the PTA site, because it is a lot closer than the JHB one
  • Updated OP with the addition of a George venue hosted by @Jason :)
    Thanked by 1pieter
  • @kimardamina, can you give us some more info about MLab? What is the security like there? And will there be Wifi available? I think the main reason why not many people have registered for the PTA venue yet, is the lack of info about the venue
  • @KleinM I updated the site a little bit. We would really like to welcome you and everyone at Mlab, we hardly have such in Pretoria, and I am hoping this will be an opportunity to have people meet and build a great community this side. For those who are in Joburg and would like to still come and help us make this a great event, it will be awesome.
    Mlab is based at the innovation hub, we are still having a discussion with Mlab to provide some snacks if possible, but there is a garage at less than 1km away. The areas is big enough for you to even go take a jog in the morning, there are enough toilets for everyone and bath areas that can be used. There is very fast Wifi there and it is very much spacious. On the Jam Site, we specified that there is good security there, normally to get in you need a finger print but for this occasion we will keep the facility open.
    If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I will confirm next week if our partner will provide us with snacks or some to eat as they usually do.
    Thanked by 2KleinM charly
  • Hey guys. Also registered for the Pretoria jam site(Will be my first one), glad to see we are up to three. ☺ Will be telling a few friends in the week to come and we might get our numbers up. Keen to see you guys there.
  • Hey guys , I think id like to go to the PTA venue but ive never participated in this jam, can anyone join? What are the rules? Im a 3D artist mainly.
  • @Johannes, Yes anyone can join regardless of skill level. Here is the GGJ FAQ if you want more specific info
  • Ah thanks , the skill level is not the issue , I'm pretty experienced, just never participated before :)
  • I would be pretty keen to team up with others and see what we can produce.

Anybody interested in grouping up, I will be at the community night.

Or e-mail me :)

annieevangel@gmail.com
  • We've made a graphic to promote GGJ16 in jozi with, here's the official makegamessa tweet about it:
    https://twitter.com/MakeGamesSA/status/687322162957565952

Grab it, use it, send it around, help get more people who're interested in game dev in joburg attending :)

ggj16.gif
    1200 x 1200 - 94K
    Thanked by 2Karuji Crash
  • Gamejam in George!?
    Any other participant in the George area? I need a team!

My skills include - 3D, texturing, animation, vfx and making coffee.
  • @Tusim thank you will share it around. I will be attending the Jhb venue since I'm staying in the area atm but I will make a PTA Venue Poster as well so that can be shared around as well.
  • @Johannes you are welcome to the PTA one, we are planning on having some local judges and give some rewards to the 3 winners that will be selected. Will confirm this once all the different partners have agreed to join us.
  • Food will be provided as well.
    Global Game Jam Poster.jpg
    2480 x 3508 - 575K
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Here is the poster I designed for the PTA Venue if you would like to use it by all means go for it.
    Pretoria Location.jpg
    2480 x 3508 - 1M
  • Food will be provided as well.
    Did somebody say free food? ;)
    Thanked by 2dammit Crash
  • I think Im going to attend @kimardamina :)
  • Looking forward to my first GGJ! Couldn't make it the previous two years.
  • edited
    Cool - Im super keen

• So is anyone going to the Game Jam?
    Not sure what you mean here, if you look up in this thread you'll see plenty of people saying they'll attend, and usually a lot of people who hasn't said so will rock up on the day too.

GGJ always has quite a good turnout. (But I still think Ludum Dare gamejams are better :P)
  • Shall be attending GGJ at JHB. :)
    Thanked by 1Karuji
  • Can't wait. Even recruited a colleague to come through as well! :)
  • I'll be at the JHB one!
  • edited
    I'll join in remotely, since the town I live in (Velddrif) is a bit "out of the way". Will try to round up a couple of friends to help out.

Will people be livestreaming/recording or creating a timelapse of their development process? I always like to watch those post-jam :P

EDIT: Will actually be attending the Cape Town event, managed to get a plan together to get down there. Looking forward to it.
  • Dunno how many people have checked out the diversifiers this year, but this one looks particularly interesting, especially for our community:

Multijammer
    Work cooperatively with other GGJ sites within your own timezone 
 - Meta
  • Hey guys a friend asked me if he would be able to sleep over during the event at the PTA venue and if he could bring his sleeping bag?