Should I Blender?

edited in Questions and Answers
Hello Guys. I haven't been that active on the forums and also haven't been making or working on games for some while now. Since Semester tests and exams are coming up I don't think I am going to get back to learning Game Dev for some time but i plan to learn a whole bunch of stuff (or even maybe make playable game) in the nov-feb vacation :D So now I am just doing a bunch of preparation and research in the mean time.

The thing is I like Programming and I am interested in game programming (maybe as a future career). But the thing is I do not have anyone that can do 3D modeling for me. So I always have to go and use assets from other people, but I would like to learn how to make my own models and how texturing, meshes and all those stuff work (maybe also a good skill to have).

My Question is, Should I use blender or other software for this?

Since I have no experience in modeling what so ever I do not wish to jump around 3D editors for now. And I am not necessarily looking for the easiest 3D editor but more the one that I can benefit from in the long term. Hope you guys have some answers for me and if possible throw some Tutorial links on the post as well. Would be much appreciated.

Good luck with your projects and GAME ON!

Comments

• Im a little bit biased here, but I would recommend using one of the more industry standard programs. You will find infinitely more information and tutorials out there - and if you are going the self taught route this is extremely important.
    By going with an industry standard program you will find it much easier when working with other artists down the road.

Im personally a fan of 3DSMax, but the foundations are pretty similar in all of the programs.

Another alternative is to download Sketchup and start using it to get a 'feel' for 3D modeling, and from there move onto one of the other programs.
  • edited
    Blender lacks documentation and can be tricky to get the hang of, but it is free, stable, and it is powerful enough to make game assets with. Hell, Unity supports it natively too. If you don't have the cash for 3DS Max or Maya, it's a viable alternative.

I learned to use it (many, many years ago) by running through tutorials for other packages to get a feel for the workflow and tools used in 3D modelling, then finding the equivalent tools and commands in Blender using what documentation I could find at the time. That sort of hybrid approach served me very well, and I suspect the docs are better and more numerous now than they were ten years ago. I'm no artist, but I can make pretty serviceable programmer art thanks to that. If you ARE an artist, I think you'll be just fine. :P
  • Thank you for the replies guys. Thing is I am by No Means an Artist (I am actually pretty bad at drawing). I am not planning to make earth shattering stuff, just basic game assets that I can use for my own personal projects. I think I am very far from making an official game. I am planning on Using Unity (since I am doing Computer Science and Unity Supports C# that we are learning as well). Unfortunately I do not have the money for a licensed product and I still want to focus on the Programming aspect of making games. Since I know that in the future I could be working with actual artist, but for now I just want to have something that I can either make Placeholder art and some assets. ( I think in the end I will most likely end up with blender though since it exports with animations and bones). But I would still like to hear other people's thought and opinions on 3D modeling in either blender or other software. :D
  • Having knowledge of art and modeling can only help you to be a better programmer. The best artists have an excellent understanding of programming, and vice versa.

Plus artists are awesome and get all the ladies.*

*in my experience at least.. :D
  • Haha thanx @Chris_Bischoff, I also think that I would greatly benefit from it, since if you look at the current gaming industry in South Africa, its good to be a jack of all trades ;)
  • As a student, you can get free, legal copies of Autodesk products apparently. Something about sending them a copy of your student card and ID.

I don't use blender myself, but I keep hearing it's pretty good now. I don't think it hurts to check it out and play around for a bit. It used to have a pretty bad reputation, but I know a few professional artists who actually now prefer it for their professional work, which I don't think anyone would have said 8 years ago.
  • @Elyardine, thank you for the reply, I should definitely check that student license thing. I think with the blender updates and increase in tutorials and more documentation and now that we have more internet than ever before (I don't even know if I can say something like "more internet", but anyway) I think it has become more approachable than before. But like @Chris_Bischoff mentioned, maybe I should use industry standard program if I can get a free student license.
  • edited
    Spoiler: I tend to lean towards technology freedom, so it does influence my opinion that yes, use Blender. "Industry standard" is only important if you are specifically going to be looking for jobs using those specific tools.

Da heck does "industry standard" mean anyway? Here's an entire Blender showreel from various professional studios:

Blender has been great for years, and I know of devs who have actually switched to it from Maya. Out of the box it supports advanced features like physics/fluid/hair/cloth simulation too. See http://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/create-a-realistic-water-simulation/

Tutorials there are plenty of. See:
    https://cgcookie.com/learn-blender/
    http://www.blenderguru.com/

Blender is always improving too. Every few years the Blender Foundation creates a short film using 100% free (as in freedom) tools and use the creation process as a sort of jam/mega-sprint to improve the core software around how the artists are using it.

Their latest is:

On the other hand, if your interest is primarily modelling, then it can also benefit you to learn a dedicated sculpting tool like Sculptris ($0) or ZBrush (OSX & Windows). These can then be imported into Blender/whatever to create normal-maps and low poly models.
  • Wow! Thank you @rustybroomhandle! I have been thinking about this a lot. I have been looking at game developer profiles and videos and stuff and you actually convinced me that blender would be the best fit. I know it has a huge learning curve, but I think for what I want to do it will suit best. Since I am a programmer at hart I don't think I'll use "Industry Standard" programs ever at work so using open source engine makes a lot more sense. Thank you for the post it definitely helped me make this decision! And thank for the videos they are so cool!