Games Portfolio

Hey all

Thought I'd start a portfolio here.

Just added a new game to the play store. Check it out:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ericlouw.gridlock

Some of you might know the game from your childhood.
Thanked by 3dammit WilliamHK critic

Comments

• That game was awesome to play while I was in primary school. I will download it and drop feedback here.
    Welcome to the forums.
  • A bit late but here goes :

The game has a high level of polish. The aesthetic works wonderfully for these sorts of games.

-At times I found it hard to see where the enemy had drawn a line, which is not ideal.
    -I would probably limit the amount of times you can create a square.
    -Another interesting way you could spice things up is to have some randomly generated lines already filled in at the beginning of a game.
  • edited
    I played it a bit singleplayer, good to pass the time with and I like how pretty/clean it is.
    I do have 2 issues though:
    - As @Kobusvdwalt9 pointed out its quite hard to see where the AI adds its edge, maybe make the last added edge black or something so its clearly visible all the time?
    - I didn't see an option to turn the sounds off. This isnt the end of the world but I was trying it out while watching videos and the fact that I couldnt turn the sound (or at least the music) off was a bit annoying. The music is pretty nice though :)

Also a button to go back to your game might be helpful, its not too difficult to accidentally hit the back button (either physical or on-screen) and then you lose your game (this happened to me at least once). A button to go back to the game you left would be nice (0h h1 does this and I've been grateful for it multiple times)
  • D3zmodos said:
    (0h h1 does this and I've been grateful for it multiple times)
    Totally not related, but 0h n0 has kicked 0h h1 off my tablet ;) It's so much better as a logic puzzle.

• dislekcia said:
    Totally not related, but 0h n0 has kicked 0h h1 off my tablet ;) It's so much better as a logic puzzle.
    Oh noes! (couldn't resist ;) )

Had a quick look. I like all the little things you've added: visual effects, sound effects, music; it's really nicely polished! Interesting choice of name - I know this game as Dots, and Gridlock as this type of game. On my device (Nexus 9), half of the bottom row was cut off, so the AI could play there, but I couldn't :( there was also a bit of the HUD the was kinda cut off on the sides, but that was a lesser issue. I do think the contrast between the background and the grid could be increased a bit, especially near the bottom half.
    -I would probably limit the amount of times you can create a square.
    I wouldn't advocate this. Part of the core strategy of this type of game relies on being able to chain squares together.

What is your plan with this? Are you gonna work on it a bit more, or working on something else perhaps?
  • Wow lots of responses and tips. Thanks everyone. Every problem you guys raised is pretty valid so I'll probably get it fixed when I get the time.

The priority is probably like this:
    - Make it obvious where the AI played (Maybe a different colour line for the last drawn line?)
    - The cut-off row on the tablet is pretty bad so that will be second.
    - Sound options (I was aware but just too lazy. Shamefull :P)
    - Contrast with background is also something that bothers me. Maybe I'll tone down the blooming or edit the bg.
    - "Quick start" option where half the grid is already filled with random lines. This is a good game addition ( thanks @Kobusvdwalt9)

The block limit is not something I'm too keen on but I'll consider it. Sometimes you can see you are screwed about halfway through the game.

Thanks for all the inputs guys!
    Cheers
  • So i made those fixes. New version available for download. Thanks again.
    Thanked by 1Kobusvdwalt9
  • Really nice presentation of the game @Eric, played this to death in school in those boring classes. I made my own version, but that was before Android was around. :)

Thanked by 1Eric
  • Hi !
    If you have other games to develop, check our call for project (serious game category)
    You can submit your project until 31st of August !
    http://digilabafrica.com/2016/05/26/serious-gaming/

Clara