NAG Mascot Challenge: Submission thread

edited in General
The challenge is to design an alternative mascot (or mascots) to represent NAG's rAge expo, with an emphasis on promoting inclusiveness in the industry. Please post your concepts here for feedback. Final work will be submitted here as well.
-Representing the good things about games (fun, humour challenge) are encouraged.
-Emphasize inclusiveness and diversity, rather than reinforcing negative gender, race, etc stereotypes
-Avoid using any branding associated with products and companies (including NAG and rAge).
-Consider the potential use of your mascot(s) by Cosplayers or by costumed expo staff, they should potentially be identifiable in a range of different outfits and settings.
-Consider that the character(s) could potentially be used to invite and welcome people to rAge and act as a guide throughout the expo itself.
-Please produce concepts before polished submissions to allow for feedback.

Discussion on the finer points of the challenge is ongoing (in this other thread), and so are still subject to change. Judging (if there will even be any) is also yet to be decided, but the thread is being provided now for participants to begin contributing and getting feedback.

Note: This is not a NAG sanctioned competition. It is unlikely that any of these concepts will ever actually be used by NAG (though if they do, transferral of rights will need to be discussed). If at some point submissions could be used commercially, negotiation of terms will be left up to the artist - MGSA won't be involved.
Thanked by 1Pierre

Comments

• I have very little idea of what I want to do with this. So far I'm really just thinking "badass" + "woman with agency" + "plugged in" (headphones, scifi, futuretech fashion, neon, glows). This is a reference board of various things. Not all of it is good, but each has something interesting, whether it's a render style, or a pose, or a feeling.

And ultimately, I just want to have fun trying out some sketchier ways of painting. I've generally been too precious about stuff in the past, so the end result's unlikely to be as "polished" as Warren or Caroline's versions of Roxy, but if I capture the right feeling (I freaking love the Sargent-like energy of the "rage" in image O), then I'm happy. :P
  • Think it's really cool to post not just the final image but the design process/reasoning etc.

(Please also take a look at this post for where I'm currently struggling with this.)
  • @Elyaradine: Just a quick note on that pose - it's dynamic and all, but if that's an actual sword swing then she's hopping home on one leg. The angle of extension of her elbow and shoulder (which is how you tell where a sword's going, BTW - incase you're ever in a sword fight) puts the arc of the swing basically intersecting something round about 50cm in front of her left knee. Unless she's actively jumping backwards, it's going to be really hard to get her right leg out of the way of her own blade.

That's also a very twisted position for a sword to come from (her hips are fighting her shoulders like crazy) there's almost no power in the swing and no stored energy to slide that sort of sword through a motion (assuming katana-esque curved cutter from the handle) - it's the legs that decide how well something is going to cut. To me this looks like she's jumping away from something that's unburrowing from below her and trying to maybe bat it away if it gets too close. How did her sword get to be in that position in the first place? Blade-high behind your back like that isn't a position that an experienced swordsperson is going to end up in: If you watch swings, even ones that do actually go behind someone, the blade is usually always lower than the handle - it's how our arms work, conserves momentum AND hides the possible arc of a strike.

So yeah, basically - it's obvious that this pose was chosen to look cool ;) Using a sword effectively in a way that actually DOES look cool is pretty rare. You could fix it a lot by lifting her elbow up, dropping the blade down to match (turning the cut into a diagonal downwards slash from high right to low left) and maybe even swapping the legs so that she's pushing off her right leg with her left in the air (that way the coiling of the shoulders makes sense for the strike and the story of power is that her left will come down, letting her right pivot past as the sword makes contact).
    Thanked by 3Elyaradine Tuism dammit
  • edited
    Some quick exploratory sketches, trying out different things to see which direction I want to take the piece.

Obvious space marine reference is obvious, but I can adjust that if I go with one of these. The composition and pose is the important part.

• Aww yeah. Quick exploratory stuff is totally the right way to do it!
    Thanked by 1garethf
  • More.

I dunno what I was thinking with this. I've watched Jupiter Ascending, so maybe a soldier with robot wings, whatever. Just an idea that didn't work.

Character looks like a man, would have to fix that.

Social Justice Warrior vs Literal Troll.

Some retro sci-fi.

Just the character.

• edited
    Decided to start over with a less violent theme. Went with the idea of someone playing around with their Pokemon and just went with it because I was having fun.

Not necessarily suitable as a mascot, but whatever, going to do some more when I'm unwinding from other work. ^_^
  • Looks like... Hermoine cut her hair and became Khaelsi of the felines :P That lighting work is super :)
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • Yeah, what Tu said, excellent lighting work.
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • edited
    @Elyaradine, I think that I just got my own inspo from this :)
    Thanked by 2Elyaradine mattbenic
  • @damousey: That would only be the best possible result! :D
  • Bumping this in the hope that someone's still working on something. Defeat sucks :/
  • Been super busy with System Crash lately. But in the spirit of keeping this thread alive, here's a WIP shot of the colour lay-in I did for the retro sci-fi piece a week or so back.

Aiming for that John Carter/Flash Gordon look.

Thanked by 2mattbenic Elyaradine
  • I've been trying to find time around the day job, contract work, learning to make audio for the sound comp and needing to rest a bit in between. Since this doesn't have a deadline, it had to drop lower down in priorities for me.

This is the last thing I worked on that had some potential. The idea was along the lines of "You looking for the Slayer of a Thousand Suns? If you got the credits, then you're lookin' at her."
  • I've been trying to find time around the day job, contract work, learning to make audio for the sound comp and needing to rest a bit in between.
    Pff. What is this rest you speak of? Can you ship it? :P

Totally understand, and thanks for the efforts nonetheless :D
  • Sounds like fun, gonna try whip something up this weekend :D
    Thanked by 1garethf
  • edited

Initial line sketch thing. I've decided to go with the same scene and setting as the original mascot in question, minus the "lol I'm a pretty girl with a gun, look at mah shiny butt".

Not sure if the limb slicing might be too violent (the goo is going to be slime green to make sure it doesn't look like blood). Equivalent to chopping fish maybe? Too violent?

Probably going to redesign her outfit and equipment some more to look more like an 80s astronaut suit to match the fishbowl helmet.

Edit: Oh, also I gave her a sword cos they're more sportsmanlike, so her monster killing is more a battle of skills hence her grin.

Edit#2: Laser katana.
  • Laser Katana FTW :D

And no, I don't think slicing tentacles is too violent, and this shows tentacles on their own are ok.. it's the creeping up the leg bit that leans towards Hentai.
  • @Jelligeth Thats really cool.

How about robot tentacles?
    Will consider robot tentacles when I get around to rendering.

Realized that the pose looks odd now cos the sliced tentacle was a last minute decision, the pose was initially cutting towards the thing... maybe I can get away with saying that she's coming around for a second slash. Otherwise i'll just revert it to an intact tentacle.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Hiyo
    Why nobody else posting anymore? :(

So...finally starting with color but cant decide whether to stick with the original colour scheme to make a point...

,...or to emulate a more vintage sci fi palette....

• Why indeed :)

And while I prefer the vintage approach visually, making a point FTW :)

• Welp, here it is. Ended up deviating a bit from the original colour scheme cos I'm not overly fond of pink :P

• Comparison. Changed it waaaay more than I realised xP
    Would spend more time on it if this was for a client but for an exercise it'll probably do...anyways that was fun :D

• What a freakin' improvement!
  • Cleared up a bunch of my commitments, so I could get back to playing with this. Tonight I wanted to get as far as I could with environment colours to set the lighting and mood.

• Now that I post her up, I see her shoulder's jutting out too much now. Anyway, I had so much fun working on the pants. Looking forward to adding more storytelling elements, like a more personalised weapon (spraypaint, etchings, etc.), trophies, badges and patches, spaceships, maybe a desert city, and a backpack. And figure out what the heck that sphere in the background actually is...

Thanked by 2mattbenic dammit
  • Excellent rendering on the pants and belt/chain!
  • Digging the biker chic look.
  • I far prefer that pose, much more badass :)
  • Superb. Your skill at rendering shiny materials makes me jealous, man. ;)

And yeah, the firmly-planted legs look much stronger and more confident/badass than the crossed ones did.
  • You see, that's a poster image I would gladly pin up on my wall.
  • edited
    @garethf: I think the thing that helped the most by far was taking Scott Robertson's Schoolism course. The course itself has been discontinued, but I believe all of the content is available in book+video form in a book he released quite recently called How To Render. I strongly consider that and How to Draw as vital foundational material for developing technical skills, if that's something you want to strengthen.

Thanks everyone! Aiming to finish it off this weekend...
    Thanked by 1garethf
  • edited
    About an hour ago I decided I didn't like how parts of her silhouette (like the hair) were getting lost in the bright background. I generated some planets and nebulae to try out a darker background.

• Love it!

And those decals are awesome. Great work man!
  • Is there still time for me to win this or? :P
    Thanked by 1garethf
  • BRING IT. :D (I'm still working on mine, on the space environment.)
  • Haha! Cool I am starting now.... but first, I need to learn how to paint......this may take a while!
    Thanked by 2garethf mattbenic
  • @Elyaradine I really dig your poster! Especially the dark background one (second one in your last post)
  • Okay, I'm tired of this one now. XD Gonna call this one done. Only potential thing I'd change is that there are some logos and things of games and MGSA in there, and I can remove that stuff if it's a problem.

• Can we have this printed in massive poster/banner size for the next time MGSA has a stand anywhere? You know...as our own mascot :P
  • Superb. And yeah, would make a great mascot. ;)
  • I painted it at A4@300dpi. I'm not sure it can be printed larger than that without looking crap... Maybe @Tuism or one of the other graphic designers who've done print work would know better?
  • This is an awesome way to respond to the whole rAge mascot ‘situation’. Please keep them coming and I’ll figure out a way to feature the best of the lot at rAge somehow. No ideas right now but I like this.
  • Looks like we're just waiting for @garethf's final submission.. you'd think the guy was busy with a fulltime job and building a game on the side or something >.>

Unless of course @johnny_final_02 will be submitting something?
    Thanked by 1garethf
  • I want to submit something! How much time do I have?
  • edited
    There's no rush from my side - rAge is only in October. ;) But this isn't my forum.