Down the Rabbit Hole 1.39 "Linux and windows version!!" (MMORPG)

edited in Projects
Hi, I posted this game here before but it was at a much earlier stage. It's called Kewl Incredible District and is a Fantasy MMORPG intended for anyone who loves Fantasy! come on and join in, support South African developers! You can support this game just by playing it! you don't have to spend anything if you don't want to!

Download Page
Down the Rabbit Hole

Feature list!

NEW Features in version 1.39:
1. Automated account recovery.
2. New icon.
3. New startup theme.
4. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.38:
1. Polished textures(normal maps).
2. Polished hair styles.
3. Lovers Rock(World object).
4. Rainbow Flower(World object).
5. Lighting made more intimate.
6. Swishes for arrows.
7. Face paint.
8. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.37:
1. Renamed to "Down the Rabbit Hole"
2. New MIDI instruments (Tribal).
3. New Font (Extra Bold).
4. Tube Allowed sticker(top left).
5. Track type on Mini Map.
6. Contrast tweak (more detail).
7. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.36:
1. New GUI buttons.
2. Low agression word filter.(Main Chat)
3. Elf hat with pom pom.(Gear)
4. Drippy tap.(World object)
5. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.35:
1. New mini game: Thimble Switch.
2. New mini game: Color Mix.
3. New mini game: Power Polish.
4. New mini game: Junk Fishing.
5. New mini prog: Global Stats.
6. Improved spirit wind.(dust/mist added)
7. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.34:
1. Voice volume fixed for startup character config.
2. Polished District Editor.
3. New mini game: Pin the Tail on the Donkey.
4. Easter Island Head added to District Editor!
5. Inventory now has instant equip.
6. less flashing when equipping.
7. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.33:
1. Cheer leader skirt for females.
2. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.31:
1. Desaturated GUI buttons.
2. Fixed male eyebrows.
3. Lighting fix.
4. Confirm Password field.
5. Flying improved (Jetpack and Rides)
6. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.30:
1. New textures for clothing.
2. Pointing finger rigged.(all animations updated)
3. Six new action animations.(10 total)
4. Hid weapon for action animation.
5. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.29:
1. New Duivel shield.
2. New textures for rides.
3. New 2D filter switch in settings.
4. Added Critters and Plants to culling list.
5. Added extra scroll bar for more text / help.
6. Color Mixer only visible while choosing color.
7. Midi tracks randomised.
8. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.28:
1. Polished face and hair.
2. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.26:
1. Polished "Action" animations.
2. Speed ups!
3. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.25:
1. Easy to read text.
2. GUI-space speech bubbles.
3. vignette/spotlight effect.
4. dynamic height map terrain with texture swap.(district editor)
5. Race track selection.(district editor)
6. Dynamic Sky Box.(district editor)
7. Animated Clouds.(district editor)
8. 7 new Animated Satellites.(district editor)
9. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.23:
1. Server migration in game.
2. Arrow buttons for inventory navigation.
3. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.20:
1. Rubicon has TTS.
2. Midi, SFX and TTS volume added to settings menu.
3. Sun with Lens Flare.
4. special attention to KiDs.
5. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.19:
1. You will be notified when your actions have earned Trophies followed by a fireworks display.
2. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.18:
1. You will be notified when your actions can earn Trophies.
2. server log analytics. (GOD mode only)
3. On Screen Key logging. (L key) (for video tutorials)
4. Exit sequence polished.
5. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.14:
1. Polished Log on screen.
2. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.13:
1. Polished hats.
2. New server code(less lag and disk writing).
3. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.11:
1. Extra large pets.
2. Ride button in main gui.
3. New lights for Rides.
4. better sticky camera.
5. No blank Passwords.
6. Bugs and Polish.

NEW Features in version 1.9:
1. Optimised writing to drive.
2. Better GUI clipping.
3. Bugs.

NEW Features in version 1.8:
1. Improved appearance of world objects.
2. new sky types.
3. performance increase.
4. Bugs.

NEW Features in version 1.6:
1. Spirit wind.
2. Improved character randomization @ startup.
3. Monetized District editor.
4. Menu section will redial server on fail.
5. Forgot password button added to main menu.
6. Toggle fullscreen button added to main menu.
7. EGG is uploaded to server by pushing esc key to exit.
8. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.5:
1. Mouse "clicky" cursor.
2. Health bars all round!
3. Keyboard fix for wsad movement.
4. Bugs and polish.

NEW Features in version 1.4:
1. Favorite color in color picker.
2. New help button in main gui.
3. New send button in main gui, send bugs or send a message to admin.
4. New exit button for escaping menus.
5. Updated swear word list. (noswearing.com) (if you can still type bad words, please submit them to admin in game)
6. Swear word filter enhanced.
7. Buy a shield and a gui button appears to quickly defend yourself with it.
8. many bugs solved.

NEW Features in version 1.1:
1. many security features.
2. Smooth Zoom.
3. Quest system was made easier.
4. more tooltips.
5. Full screen mode.
6. toggle male-female when creating new account.
7. magic doors. (portals to your friends districts)
8. Positive words added, swearing erases the word and will replace it with a positive word. (including spaces)
9. General Bugs.

NEW features in "Kewl Incredible District".
1. Suited to a younger audience. (10+)
2. Swear word filter.
3. Fantasy themed content.
4. Helps you up the learning curve teaching you how to play (Video tutorial) and holds your hand a little more (Tool Tips).
5. Expandable quest system with reward wheel!
6. Fireworks!
7. Lipsynching. (TTS)
8. More of everything!!!

Existing features from Ficks.
1. Future proof core design.
2. Advanced moderator controls(God).
3. Generic controls similar to other games.
4. Full GLSL Graphics.
5. In-depth Statistics and Trophy earnings.
6. Expandable sport's system.
7. Working Generatable and configurable Characters and dynamic world objects.
8. HSV Color Mixers.
9. +- 81 MB Download Size.
10. +- 209 MB Game Size.
11. Fully Expandable "MMORPG" Core.
12. in game shop
13. Help file with all the controls and more.
14. Empty culling.
15. Buy and Build your own district then show it to others (sandbox building).
16. RAP Machine Text To Speech Engine.
17. MIDI music (Buy a Boom Box) and MP3 sound effects.
18. Swishes and Particle Effects.
19. 2 way ignore feature.
20. Shoot, Slash, fly, drive, talk, compete, everything!
21. mini map with blips.
22. Trade.
23. Dynamic Pets! (and wild Critters)
24. Dynamic Rides.
25. Security features including hashed passwords and database, encryption and game EGG technology (you are responsible for your files).
26. Each other!
27. And many more.....

Comments

• Hey!

So I downloaded KiD and played around a bit, and I have to say, I think I played it longer than I've played just about any other game that was posted here and I was thoroughly entertained the entire time. I even got a friend to play and for the most part the online seemed functional.

I'm curious, what did you make this in, or did you write your own engine? and did you make all the models yourself or did you buy some? and the animations etc. there's actually quite a bit of content in the game.

Some things: I clicked on the M on the login screen and it started opening like 20 tabs in chrome and the game crashed. The swear filter is also super obnoxious. it'll filter out "as", even if it's in the middle of a word. Talking to a friend on the server was really hard.

I also wasn't really sure what to do after I'd customized my character and my district. All my money was spent and when i did manage to kill a creature i got so little money that it just felt like it'd take forever to make enough to buy anything, especially after starting with $100000.
  • Please get this game in front of some Youtubers. I think this would be a brilliant role playing tool on Youtube, especially if a few Youtubers got together and messed around in this world for a while. We were watching @raithza play, and it was incredibly entertaining. The game was a bit glitchy here and there, but some of glitches were entertaining in themselves.

There's so much to do in this game, and there's so much freedom as to what you do, the world is very wacky and really "Kewl" :)

If you submit this game to Greenlight it might get seen by some Youtubers. Again, I'd love to watch a team of Youtubers play this game, and that'd be a great way to spread awareness about it.
  • edited
    hi raithza

I am planning to fix the swear word filter so it sees "ass" instead of "as", the reason is, because if you want to swear at someone you can get around the filter simply by duplicating letters and addin spaces, for example "A s ss ss" will still be seen by my filter, since you brought it up, I will be making it allow as. it will probably be in the next version, thanks.

You are complaining about money... I can already make a million in just a few hours with ""nothing!"", I will tell you the secret.:

1. wait for a money tree to grow and pick it. you can also pick food and sell it.
    2. buy a max power cheap weapon
    3. click on the rubicons "sphere" to activate a random quest, click it until it says frag x critters, frag them and spin the wheel to win stuff and sell what you win, or keep it if you like.
    4. once you have enough for a power 6 trike (cheapest ride), buy it
    6. equip your ride and go to a checkpoint (make sure you know where all the checkpoints are)
    7. race pinks, but choose a high powered ride with a slow time so you can win, if you loose you will losse your trike
    8. sell the rides you win and soon you will have a million.

lastly, I use Blender Game engine, but it's not a very helpful engine so I coded around a thousand scripts to make the game. all the content was made 99% by me, models, textures animation and sound, I did use a few free sound effects and textures, but they were heavily altered in gimp or audacity

BlackShips: I am still polishing it, and am planning one new mini game(crafting) and a few little glitches to fix, after that I will be getting more serious about marketing.
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • Ok.. that's pretty cool, but I would probably never have figured most of those things out from just playing the game. It would be nice if there were some kind of hint inside the game to show you that. For instance, what if there was a quest log, and you get quests, such as "Participate in a race, get 5000 gold" or just something to point to the rubicons sphere (I still dont know what that is!).
  • sounds good... I already got it on my list!
  • edited
    Regarding the need for teaching players about Kewl District within the game (like @raithza brought up):

I don't know if it'd work perfectly in Kewl District, but Goat Simulator did a really clever thing with rewarding exploration.

In Goat Simulator, almost every interesting action gets you some kind of achievement, kind of like doing tricks in a skating game (like Tony Hawk), so the player is encouraged to go around trying different interactions. And I think there is a list that players can look up where it tells them the names of all the tricks, and from that they can set their own goals as to what tricks they want to attempt next.

Giving out points (or achievements) for different interactions that players do might also be a way to let players learn about what can be done in Kewl District. It's a system that encourages exploration (more so that giving out quests) but it's perhaps harder to implement.

I don't know if I'm making sense, but if this sounds like an option, check out how Goat Simulator used points to encourage exploring the game.
  • edited
    hi, I already have something like that, it does not alert the player though..... you earn points for and iirc 11 different tasks including a "hat of hats", this earns you trophies that you can later put in your district! anyway, I will consider a notification system to engage the player when they do a trick!

Thank you for the feedback!
  • I just wanted to add, did you guys watch the tutorial? it is really helpful, it will get you from noob to pro in no time at all!
  • @raithza : The tabs popping up infinitely when you click the member button is actually a bug I have sorted out in a much much earlier version, I just double checked it and the bug is still not there. there is not way for me to fix the bug if it only happens on your machine. thanks dude!
  • When I tried to install this app windows 8 smartscreen prevented me from running it.
  • @shanemarks, you should be able to click More Info which will give you another button to Run Anyway
  • Sorry about the stupid warning, even if I sign it it still does it, I have to build reputation and I still don't know how after 10 years of publishing games, I found a site to buy a signature from but it's R3000 a month!
  • there is a new emergency version up now, it was hitting the server twice per second instead of once, and I added the noob to pro advice I gave to the help file and polished all the hiding places you exposed to me. oh yeah, I was not accurate about my saying the were no notices, just not for trophies, and, since this is kind of a critical update, I will get the rest of the stuff done in the next version, the server bug was critical! you should find the game is a bit faster and does not lag as much. cheers!
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • @fengol, thanks will do that :)
  • Hmm I couldn't seem to figure out how to sign up. I can enter my name but i can't seem to click on password. Also I wanted my name to be "johnnytest" but the system seems to change test to random word. The little button on the end cleared my entry :(
    You might want to consider making the new user screen work like a standard input form?
    Also the white snow makes it quite hard to read the white text.

Have you had a look at the game: http://www.urbangalaxyonline.com/ you might be able to take some queues from that.
  • edited
    @shanemarks , the little button on the end is what you use to select a field, I actually do have it on my list to make the whole field clickable! also, I have considered putting the snow behind the buttons instead of in front of it, thanks for at least trying to play! test is a part of the word testicle, testie, testy etc cheers
  • @shanemarks : I have since removed test as a swearword and replaced it with testi, teste and testy.

Cheers!
  • It seems you're very worried about swearing. Why not instead provide an interface with a set of messages players can send like Nintendo does? Then you don't need to worry about filtering
  • I have now made it so you can select the fields by clicking on the field and little button! also fixed a few bugs and added polish! version 1.16 is now out!

@Fengol : cool idea, I will think about it.
  • @theguyswhoplayed ... one of you was "PooPLorDJ" I have edited your district to give you doors to my district's, seriously it was a bug, and to reward you for the mistake I have give you many Trees Of Knowledge that you can delete off the map to get money, also I have allowed your name so you can log on as PooPLorDJ.... you were the first person to save a district, it's even in the menu at log on, it rates popular districts automatically!
  • @PooPLorDJ : I have added a door to super exciting district on the kewl incredible district map, it's near the grey gypsy caravan by the half circle piece of stone.
  • this is why I am not rushing into marketing, still finding bugs! anyway, enjoy this new version 1.17!

cheers!
  • edited
    Hi peeps!

Version 1.18 is now up and serving, check the first post for a full feature list!
    Kewl Incredible District

NEW Features in version 1.18:

1. You will be notified when your actions can earn Trophies.
    2. server log analytics. (GOD mode only)
    3. On Screen Key logging. (L key) (for video tutorials)
    4. Exit sequence polished.
    5. Bugs and polish.
  • edited
    Hi.... still finding bad little bugs.... and polishing things

Kewl Incredible District

NEW Features in version 1.19:

1. You will be notified when your actions have earned Trophies followed by a fireworks display.
    2. Bugs and polish.
  • Hi,
    here with an exciting new version... gotta love a good old lens flare!

NEW Features in version 1.20:

1. Rubicon has TTS.
    2. Midi, SFX and TTS volume added to settings menu.
    3. Sun with Lens Flare.
    4. special attention to KiDs.
    5. Bugs and polish.

• @shanemarks , about that warning, I have now uploaded a zip instead, it does not have the warning, but you need to unzip and then install, until I can afford a signature that will have to do, cheers!
  • hi all of you, I got a new video of me playing, got a lot of the new things in it! <3 <3 <3

youtu.be/2Do6199-A5k

Enjoy! Cheers.
  • Hey guys!

New version is here, not much has changed but I now have a dedicated accounts server (all accounts have been moved), the reason for this is I am moving towards server migration in game (not just at startup)

Kewl Incredible District

Cheers!
  • Hi, since I have not posted any multiplayer screenshots, here is one with 10 players! (lot's a cake)

• Hi, version 1.22 is here with lot's of bug fixes! also a screenshot of a never before seen fully-equipped male avatar!

• Hi, version 1.23 is here! Enjoy :)

NEW Features in version 1.23:

1. Server migration in game.
    2. Arrow buttons for inventory navigation.
    3. Bugs and polish.

Kewl Incredible District
  • edited
    Hi, here with a final stable version before adding in new features!

Kewl Incredible District <3 <3 <3
  • Hi, here with a new version after a month of hard work, enjoy folks! really!

NEW Features in version 1.25:

1. Easy to read text.
    2. GUI-space speech bubbles.
    3. vignette/spotlight effect.
    4. dynamic height map terrain with texture swap.(district editor)
    5. Race track selection.(district editor)
    6. Dynamic Sky Box.(district editor)
    7. Animated Clouds.(district editor)
    8. 7 new Animated Satellites.(district editor)
    9. Bugs and polish.

Thanked by 1raithza
  • edited
    That rainbow sky is pretty. Are there rainbows and planets and satellites things you can add to your district while playing?

How is the crafting minigame developing?

I'm sort of asking about crafting because I think Kewl District would be improved by having a strong gameplay loop to tie it together. I mean like in Minecraft you start with very little, then you get some wood, then you craft better tools, then you get better materials, then you make even better tools, then you get even better materials etc. There's always something to work towards in Minecraft that will help you work towards something greater. There's a little of this in Kewl District at the moment of course

Not sure that crafting in Kewl District is going to feel like that though.

Does Kewl District have baloons (I can't remember). I feel like some hot-air balloons on the skyline would feel very peaceful, and add a bit more holiday vibe (the game already has a lot of holiday vibe in it).
  • edited
    Hi, here with a new version, been working on speedups!

NEW Features in version 1.26:
    1. Polished "Action" animations.
    2. Speed ups!
    3. Bugs and polish.

Kewl Incredible District
    movie: watch a test video for up and coming feature video

@BlackShipsFilltheSky : still planning loads more features, so much to distract me! for now I just want to expose the features I already have to people, you would be surprised how many people take this game at "screenshot-vaule" but yeah, everything planned, just have to find time to do it all!
  • Hi, here with version 1.27 including all the bug fixes while making my new feature video, not all features were included (GUI excluded) and I forgot to light fireworks at the end!

Feature video on youtube
    Kewl incredible District download page
  • Hi just updated from a bug solved, in the middle of something great! here it is!

NEW Features in version 1.28:
    1. Polished face and hair.
    2. Bugs and polish.

• edited
    Hi, after two weeks of sitting on this egg, I have decided that I am the weakest link and I am going to cash in on a new version!

NEW Features in version 1.29:

1. New Duivel shield.
    2. New textures for rides.
    3. New 2D filter switch in settings.
    4. Added Critters and Plants to culling list.
    5. Added extra scroll bar for more text / help.
    6. Color Mixer only visible while choosing color.
    7. Midi tracks randomised.
    8. Bugs and polish.

• edited
    Hey ppil, here with version 1.30, hope to see you online sometime! cheers

NEW Features in version 1.30:

1. New textures for clothing.
    2. Pointing finger rigged.(all animations updated)
    3. Six new action animations.(10 total)
    4. Hid weapon for action animation.
    5. Bugs and polish.

download here : Kewl Incredible District

• Probably quite a long shot, but do you have any plans for support for Mac?
  • @Benjets I don't have the hardware to make a mac version at the moment, but it is in the pipeline to support all platforms! sorry bro, cheers!
    Thanked by 1BenJets
  • Yello awl! here with a new version! enjoy, stable!

download link: Kewl Incredible District

NEW Features in version 1.31:
    1. Desaturated GUI buttons.
    2. Fixed male eyebrows.
    3. Lighting fix.
    4. Confirm Password field.
    5. Flying improved (Jetpack and Rides)
    6. Bugs and polish.
  • Hi ppil, I missed a version, oops, anyway, here with version 1.33. I just added a new skirt for noob girls and fixed a load of bugs! cheers

NEW Features in version 1.33:
    1. Cheer leader skirt for females.
    2. Bugs and polish.

and, here is a screenshot:
  • Hi.

Loads of fixes and polish on this new version, and a new mini game and Easter Island head!

NEW Features in version 1.34:
    1. Voice volume fixed for startup character config.
    2. Polished District Editor.
    3. New mini game: Pin the Tail on the Donkey.
    4. Easter Island Head added to District Editor!
    5. Inventory now has instant equip.
    6. less flashing when equipping.
    7. Bugs and polish.

Download: download

• Hi guys....

New version here with 5 new mini games (7 second games) and global stats(you can see who is/was online).... also, added some dust to the path finding wind... looks A1 animated and in HD! .... needs at least 1024 cuda cores to run in HD, will run in LD with just 50 cuda cores. also... oh man, I want to thank SAGD for being professional.... gamers are such trolls you know! thanks!

NEW Features in version 1.35:
    1. New mini game: Thimble Switch.
    2. New mini game: Color Mix.
    3. New mini game: Power Polish.
    4. New mini game: Junk Fishing.
    5. New mini prog: Global Stats.
    6. Improved spirit wind.(dust/mist added)
    7. Bugs and polish.

Download Kewl Incredible District

• Hi! I have just added a new video to my site, including a new look! and also announcing a new name for my game!!!

Kewl Incredible Dimension
  • edited
    Hi Guys and Girls!

New version up with a few new things, including some Christmas goodies!
    People who hated the old evasive word filter will love this new filter, it lets you type what you want end then it corrects it after it's sent! wahahahaa, you guys are gonna love this!

Edit: all players will receive a thousand times their daily pocket money until next year sometime! (platinum membership)

NEW Features in version 1.36:

1. New GUI buttons.
    2. Low agression word filter.(Main Chat)
    3. Elf hat with pom pom.(Gear)
    4. Drippy tap.(World object)
    5. Bugs and polish.

Kewl Incredible Dimension
  • edited
    Hi guys....

Big version update this time, I worked on the overall things, like fonts, music and I changed the name again.... it's now called "Down the Rabbit Hole"... also, I would like to invite you all to participate in Troll gate, a competition were you have to make a video of yourself trolling!

Down the Rabbit Hole
    Troll Gate competition

NEW Features in version 1.37:
    1. Renamed to "Down the Rabbit Hole"
    2. New MIDI instruments (Tribal).
    3. New Font (Extra Bold).
    4. Tube Allowed sticker(top left).
    5. Track type on Mini Map.
    6. Contrast tweak (more detail).
    7. Bugs and polish.
  • Hi, another large update! especially to graphics, so expect a slight slow down! also, I have entered troll gate competition a 2nd time.

NEW Features in version 1.38:

1. Polished textures(normal maps).
    2. Polished hair styles.
    3. Lovers Rock(World object).
    4. Rainbow Flower(World object).
    5. Lighting made more intimate.
    6. Swishes for arrows.
    7. Face paint.
    8. Bugs and polish.

Down the Rabbit Hole
    Troll gate competition
    Thanked by 1BenJets