[Ludum Dare] 31 Entries

Hi.
Couldn't find the ludum dare 31 thread so I created it.

Here is my entry: Farm Invaders!

Personally I found the theme themeless. My artist bailed on me and I scrapped a "skate or die" inspired game after day one.
I struggled finding a goal and eventually decided the easiest way for me to finish the game was to make the player reach a certain amount of coins.

I believe the game could have been better if I put more time into balancing.

Thanked by 3Fengol Tuism Merrik

Comments

• edited
    So many complaints about this theme :)

I personally really liked it as it let you be as open or constrained as you wanted to be... I wrote a bit on the topic:
    http://ludumdare.com/compo/2014/12/07/the-strict-conservation-of-everything/

Now, my game! It's strictly tied to the theme, and I also explained it in the post above. I made a game ENTIRELY in one screen - nothing gets created, nothing gets removed. Well, except juice. Those I didn't count.

It's a 4-player arena... Box-em-up. You could call it Bear Chuck's spiritual successor :P But only one of them tosses, the other ones does different attacks :)

It's a bit glitchy and I didn't get to implement everything I wanted (what's new XD), but I like it and I really wanna play it 4P sometime to see how it goes :)

Play it here: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=35114
    Thanked by 1Merrik
  • edited
    Finally submitted my game: Hyperdodge

Thank you @TheFuntastic and @damousey for the great musics and arts. It was super fun to spend my time focusing game feel and polish. And thanks to Freelives for hosting such an awesome jam!

Colin Northway is the current best in the world with an impressive score of 55000 :O

• edited
    @MCA , @TasticLuc and I made a game about Orks riding raptors and playing Polo with a sniveling human ball!

You can play it over here!

EDIT: How do we do images now with the new site? Can't seem to add a file anywhere?
    Thanked by 2BenJets Cheatsi
  • You should be able to upload now
  • edited

You'll just need to host the image online somewhere.
  • I just link the images from LD's uploads, works :)
  • Hi Guys,

Thought I would post our game "Ball Room" here as well: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=42427

Made by @Falseidle and myself in roughly 72hrs for the Jam. I say roughly, as we played "find the suburb with power" over the weekend. Damn loadshedding! ;(

Thanked by 3Tuism BenJets Nandrew
  • Can I just ask that all the entries that built a game in Unity, please don't forget to make a linux build! You'll get more votes, and generally speaking it should port pretty easily.

Also, I'm stuck with Linux at work and really want to play your games! :P
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • These are great! I'm always impressed by the games that come out of these competitions :)
  • edited
    I had a most excellent time over this Ludum Dare. @Merrik, @Jaysong and I teamed up for the jam. Merrik and I had previously worked together on the micro-jammed Child Ball and Jaysong has done music for pretty much every game I've made. I was really excited by the little team we assembled and was really enthusiastic about the concept Richard and I cooked up for LD31.

Our idea was for an absurd, surreal customer service game set in a cyberpunk universe. Players would be presented with a collection of disgruntled cybernetic-limb-recipients, with an open ended objective of either helping people, messing with them, or possibly finding a balance of both. This would give way to one of four endings.

I'm incredibly happy with how the concept came together. Merrik set up some tools in Unity that allowed me to sit and lay out the dialogue trees, details and artwork for all the weirdo's. This was my first time doing something serious with Unity which was great for me. Merrik also worked some real magic on the visual end of things, working in some fantastic low-fi video effects. Jaysong as always smashed it on the audio front and we were all pretty excited about working in some recorded bits of dialogue.

Anyway, enough about our process - here's Bionic Bliss!

Hope you all get a real kick out of this strange little game we made!

Gigantic high fives to @BlackShipsFilltheSky and the rest of the Free Lives gang for hosting us in their wonderful new dev house. It was honestly the most incredible weekend, spent in the most inspiring space, surrounded by the most excellent humans. Too awesome for words.

• Can I just ask that all the entries that built a game in Unity, please don't forget to make a linux build! You'll get more votes, and generally speaking it should port pretty easily.

Also, I'm stuck with Linux at work and really want to play your games! :P
    I second this suggestion. Also, be sure to build 32 bit and 64 bit binaries. No need to do fancy launcher scripts and whatever else.
  • It's not quite as simple to just poop out a Linux build of a Unity game. We found it incredibly frustrating, so we wrote a blog post detailing the things we had to do.
  • edited
    I get your hesitation, but most of the time simple Linux builds do work, and for a jam game its probably worth just putting it up there for people to try run on linux (its not like you're going to actively support it... its a jam, if it doesn't work first time they'll just move onto the next game to vote on)

At least supply a windows build so that we can try use wine. Only supplying a web player just makes it useless to linux users.
  • Boom Blade Battle Brigade!

A Screenshake Production presents:
    Featuring:
    Clockwork Acorn + Jeremy Carver + Ivo Sissolak (myself)

We made a local multiplayer knock-em-into-lava game featuring Goblins who wear Viking Hats and have an unlimited supply to explosives!

You can find the game at: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=42069

I had a ton of fun with these dudes and I think this definitely won't be the last Ludum for me!

Also...if you are tired of modern weaponry, why don't you try stabbing your friends to death?
  • edited
    @creative630 you'll be glad to know I pooped out a Linux build, I don't know if it works but it's there :) http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=35114
    Thanked by 1creative630
  • Rad, thanks @Tuism! I played it, pretty awesome! I laughed at the amount of times, and ways, I managed to kill myself.
    Seems like the Linux build has might have some issues with controls, the WADF keys work, but player 2 is controlled with Arrows not IJL and it resets the game when I press P.
    Otherwise it works fantastically, thanks!
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Argh dang, no no glitch there, I changed the control, even made a fancy banner on top for it, but failed to remember to change the description -_-|||

Thanks for alerting me to that! Changing it... now... Lol XD
  • I collaborated with Daniel and Thiago again to create a little game called Bugged Out.

I also recorded a little behind the scenes/post-mortem video which you might find interesting.

Will play through everyone else's games in the morning, looking rather impressive ^^
    Thanked by 1Mexicanopiumdog
  • @SebastianL
    Nice behind the scenes...was very amusing to watch! I also really like the concept of your game...its so WACKY!
    I am curious as to what your experiences making games with people overseas are? Is it a lot more difficult? (Timezones/language barriers/workflows?)
  • Thanks so much @Mexicanopiumdog
    There's pretty much no language barrier when talking to Daniel, so that at least is not a problem!
    The time zone thing is a bit annoying since if you want to discuss some idea/problem you'll sometimes have to wait a pretty long time :/
    But Daniel's staying in Vancouver at the moment (10 hours behind), so if he gets up at 8 and I work until past midnight, we have about 6 hours in which our working times overlap and we can communicate, so I guess that's not too bad either. We use mercurial/sourcetree to sync our work and it mostly does its job pretty well :)
  • Played and rated everyone's!

OMG we have some serious talent here, not a single crap entry :)

Except for Boom Blade... I only have one controller so I couldn't even try it... I think you guys should seriously put in some keyboard controls - mine is 4P arena too, but I made sure to put in two sets of keyboard controls so people can play it without too much hassle - multiplayer is already a big enough barrier...

@Benjets did you know your game's name's not the same between the logo and the name? I searched "Bionic Blitz" and found nothing and was confused for a while.

Well done guys :D
  • Tuism said:
    OMG we have some serious talent here, not a single crap entry :)
    That's coz I haven't put mine up. LOL.
  • edited
    bit late, soz guys been a busy week, but myself and @damousey worked on Robewars, a Lethal League cross lacross slash basketball game with wizards. 2-4 player game and needs 2-4 XBOX controllers to play (but you can try it out with one controller if you'd like)

Really glad with how this turned out considering how many distractions there were over the weekend! Thanks to FreeLives for so generously hosting us, it was easily one of my favorite jams! ^_^

Light up your candles here: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=14272

Thanked by 2Bensonance BenJets
  • @Tuism:
    Tuism said:
    Except for Boom Blade... I only have one controller so I couldn't even try it... I think you guys should seriously put in some keyboard controls - mine is 4P arena too, but I made sure to put in two sets of keyboard controls so people can play it without too much hassle - multiplayer is already a big enough barrier...
    Well done guys :D
    AFAIK we did update it with a keyboard version..

Maybe you didn't see the controls in the description:

1v1 Keyboard controls:
    Player 1:
    WASD - Movement
    N: Place bomb 1 (press again to detonate)
    M: Place bomb 2 (press again to detonate)
    ,: melee

Player 2:
    Arrow Keys- Movement
    1(numpad): Place bomb 1 (press again to detonate)
    2(numpad): Place bomb 2 (press again to detonate)
    3(numpad): melee

Space to start, and bomb 1 key to join.

There is only one arena yeah...did you find it too big/small for 4players/1v1?

• Thanks for the heads up @Tuism!

The name is a strange one we know. In the game, the company Employee 852 works for is called Bionic Bitz. The game itself is Bionic Bliss. We realise this is pretty strange, but if you can't be weird during Ludum Dare, when can you be weird?

Didn't expect anyone would think it was called Bionic Blitz! You get high marks for creativity there! :)

Scrolling up - I see the link to Bionic Bliss didn't seem to work. For anyone interested, you can play it here!
  • Oh! Hahaha no it's hardly creative if the two biggest logos in your two images is one letter different from a name that was mentioned once :P Hahaha :P
    Thanked by 1BenJets
  • Here's our entry (@MattMac @Jaysong and myself), Beardo.

Was quite a challenging jam. Built my own platformer physics and struggled most of the weekend on making sure things didn't fall through platforms shoot through walls. Anyway, didn't want to share until I had fixed a few bugs post compo.

Thanked by 1BenJets
  • Great to see you've ironed things out and shared this one @SUGBOERIE. High-fives to you @MattMac and @Jaysong for this one!

I just finished playing Bugged Out as well and loved it. Well done @SebastianL!

High-fives all around though - I think this is a really impressive collection of games that's come out of the community!

Is there anyone else that's neglected to share their LD31 creations?
  • Is there anyone else that's neglected to share their LD31 creations?
    I started on something for LD31 but couldnt get a minimally working version up by the time it had elapsed, I've been working on it off and on for the last week or so, will post it as a regular prototype when it's ready to show
  • edited
    Posting purely for archival reasons: results are out! Yay! :D

Compo Results
    Jam Results

Special congratulations to the Bionic Bliss team who placed 9th overall in the jam! :D

Also, @SebastianL et al. placed 27th in the jam with Bugged Out !

@Tuism placed 73rd overall in the compo with No More Boxes!

Congrats to everyone else as well! Many of the SA games were close to breaking the top 100 overall and were in the top 100 for many respective categories. A neat turnout for the community! :D
    Thanked by 2MCA Tuism
  • So very excited to announce the results for Bionic Bliss!

#2 Audio(Jam) 4.53
    #6 Humor(Jam) 4.31
    #9 Overall(Jam) 4.24
    #11 Theme(Jam) 4.47
    #14 Mood(Jam) 4.22
    #41 Fun(Jam) 3.92
    #46 Graphics(Jam) 4.45
    #50 Innovation(Jam) 3.99

Right from the start @Merrik and I said we weren’t particularly fussed about making something that would be highly rated, but said that if we had to do well in anything, we would hope it would be humour. We’re understandably very happy that we placed 6th in that category!

Beyond that, I’m blown away that we got a spot in the top 10 overall! And so happy for @Jaysong that his sonic wizardry won the silver medal for audio!

Thanks to Dizzy, Anja and Kyle for lending their vocal chords to our cause. Thanks to @Bensonance for proof reading our mountains of dialogue. Thanks @BlackShipsFillTheSky and the Free Lives gang for hosting the jam and special thanks to all the MGSA friends who’s high fives and sparkling company made for the most excellent game-making environment!

Extra special thanks to the rest of Team Lazerbeam. Richard and Jason, you boys were the greatest jam buddies a dude could ever ask for. Can’t wait to make more magic with you both soon!
    Thanked by 3Jaysong Tuism dammit