Chris Bischoffs art dump!

edited in Portfolios
Ive done quite a few of these 'concept images' for fun, so I thought I would share with the group.

Here is the latest one:

BIOSHOCK 1 as a 2D RPG

And some of the older images:

Comments

• OMG STASIS NO REMORSE. omg Omg OMG
  • You building these games right :D
  • Of course they are. All of them. They know the consequences if they tempt us so expertly and nothing comes of it...
  • Ha! Thanks guys. :D
  • How are any of these "for fun"? They're not even prototyping :P

If No Remorse isn't going to be a thing in a level, I'll be dropping Spider Mines where you least expect. Be warned ;)
  • They are prototyping for artists!

A Crusader game would be incredibly awesome....if it had land sharks.
  • YOU JUST GAVE ME AN IDEA :D
  • <brag start>
    </brag end>

@Tuism we going to see spider mines in your land shark game?
    cnr.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 41K
  • @Chris_Bischoff Damn! ;)

Hello! Crusader No Remorse... yeah baby. I remember that little gem!
  • The gameplay in those older games is actually incredibly simple. I'm surprised there aren't more clones of them.

Even Syndicate had a very simple control scheme which would be easy to replicate.
  • And Travis...awesome!
  • The image has been viewed 132k times in the last 4 hours!
    http://imgur.com/GZioXy3
  • And it killed our server in page views. Reddit is like playing The Internet on hard mode. ;/
  • @Chris_Bischoff: Whoa, gimme dat reddit link?
  • @tbulford I was talking about Landshark... In no remorse :P What you say? I'm just wondering, I say :P
    Thanked by 1tbulford
  • @Chris_Bischoff "Even Syndicate had a very simple control scheme..." Blasphemy!!! :)
  • dislekcia said:
    @Chris_Bischoff: Whoa, gimme dat reddit link?
    http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/25p89e/what_if_bioshock_1_was_a_2d_isometric_rpg/
    konman said:
    @Chris_Bischoff "Even Syndicate had a very simple control scheme..." Blasphemy!!! :)
    The game itself 'feels' more complex than it actually is. They are all these really simple systems that work together to give the illusion of something much 'deeper' happening in the background. Its quite an experience to see that game after a good few years and really look at how it works!
  • Yeah its amazing to think Syndicate was released in 1993 eh? That's over 20 years ago. I'm feeling really old!

Imagine the tools they had at their disposal compared to how spoilt we all are today with technology and media and the benefit of hindsight.

It was a massive accomplishment and I think I'm going to go and fire it up right now and Persuadertron somebody :)
  • I can still remember the music. Dom dom dom dom dom dom dom dom ----- dom dom dom dom dom dom dom dom ----- dom dom dom dom dom dom dom dom --------- dom dom, dom dom dom, dom dom dom dom dom dom dom dom bwaaaaan

Ah nostalgia.
  • So, Chris's image has 673,414 views in 23 hours and used 209 Gigs. Pretty crazy how massive Reddit is.
  • edited
    I did CGTalks '3 Day Cinematic' challenge last weekend and came out with this bad boy at the end!

It was mainly a pipeline exercise to see if my current pipeline needs improvement, and how to get the most 'bang for my buck'.

I wanted to test the following:

Full character animation (facial and cloth simulation included)
    Crowd scenes
    A fight scene
    Animals
    Environment Effects [Rain]
    Motion Blur
    NO GI

The render quality is pretty low because I needed to keep the frames down to 1.5 minutes each on the render side - there is zero GI in this setup.

I also edited around a lot of the errors, so it became very Michael Bay - I left out the music and so forth.

If you are interested in my work in progress check this out:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=153&t=1212646&page=1&pp=15

-Chris
  • Wow. Incredibly impressive for 3 days work. Very nice character animation. Street scene is especially impressive - you really didn't make things easy for yourself did you?

Great job all around!

I also just caught up on previous posts. That imaging of Bioschock as an isometric RPG is incredible. Just brilliant. My only complaint is that it's left me wishing that it was a real game!
  • Wow great artwork
  • Thanks guys! Ben - its my new motto...aim high, fail spectacularly. :D
    Thanked by 1Kobusvdwalt9
  • Dude. You should really get into making game art or something!
    Thanked by 1watson
  • Its on my to do list! :D
  • Holy crap, dude.

3 days? Holy crap.
  • edited
    @Chris_Bischoff

I find the video a little bit disjointed TBH (I know it is just for testing various different things). It feels like too many genres are being blended together... it breaks my suspension of disbelief. There is a distinct medieval feel (ala Assassins Creed), alien (XCOM) and then suddenly the sniper rifle/ zoom (ala Crysis). It showcases various different styles, but at the same time it also detracts a little bit from the overall experience?

It would have been more appealing to me if you stuck to a single universe and owned it outright. Just my opinion.

Overall the video is extremely well done (and I probably don't understand the artistic and technical difficulties that had to be overcome), I am gob smacked at the production values. They are very high and the work-rate...3 days WTF!

I am a huge fan of your work and am especially anticipating Stasis very much!!!

Keep pushing those boundaries and experimenting. Very cool. My $1 (Zim)... :)
    Thanked by 1Mexicanopiumdog
  • If you want to join my indie gamedev team, add me on skype- imransadiq1995
  • If you want to join my indie gamedev team, add me on skype- imransadiq1995
    I just spluttered rice all over my table.
  • konman said:
    @Chris_Bischoff

I find the video a little bit disjointed TBH (I know it is just for testing various different things). It feels like too many genres are being blended together... it breaks my suspension of disbelief. There is a distinct medieval feel (ala Assassins Creed), alien (XCOM) and then suddenly the sniper rifle/ zoom (ala Crysis). It showcases various different styles, but at the same time it also detracts a little bit from the overall experience?
    ha, and this was after he cut down the scope :)

My take on a modern Commandos game.
  • Dude! Fantastic work! I was just gonna post "wasn't there a commandos sequel that just got announced?" and I just realised I must've seen this same image somewhere else XD
  • edited
    @Chris_Bischoff, you gotta tag this NSFW man!

Not because it contains anything graphic, but because my colleagues now think I was watching something graphic after hearing the sounds I was making :P