Prototype content creation part 2 Sewers

edited in Projects
Hi

So have started new content creation project, thought previous one I learned a lot, with block shapes.I am now attempting another project for sewers.It is again a considerable undertaking again. Spend the last couple days doing some concepts and getting ideas, on working with rounded and block shapes, and combining the two it's to say the least some times annoying and learning quite a bit.

I have created the main sections, but haven't as yet started on sections to break up the scenery that is next on the list, just wanted to get an over all feel and direction, though the engine doesn't do it justice, the main sections also needs a bit of work.

This is the reference pictures I am working from.

Thanked by 1konman

Comments

• edited
    So nearly a month later and some progress has been made ;) Still far from done. :(

• edited
    Damn! That looks awesome!

I wish I had your talents when I was making my sewer game!

I made a little game where an evil bot chases you around a sewer - check it out - it would be pretty cool to have the drone chasing around your environments!
  • Nitrogen said:
    Damn! That looks awesome!

I wish I had your talents when I was making my sewer game!

I made a little game where an evil bot chases you around a sewer - check it out - it would be pretty cool to have the drone chasing around your environments!
    Thanks, Thought this is still not what I wanted, can definitely improve some areas.The grid placement system and collision have made things considerably harder.

Thankfully , after this pack I am moving over to the new version of this engine, where collision I no longer an issue, However Have a new problem, that the newest engine has move on to terrain and outdoor environments, as where this engine was better suited to indoor stuff, for the time being the engine is still in beta, should showcase the new engine .

This what the current beta looks like of the engine, terrains can be made in less than a minute, thought much longer if you want a proper job with foliage ect.So fun times ahead, as I have not to date made a outdoor environment, will be a consireble learning curve again.

Thanked by 1Nitrogen
  • A Little over a month's worth of work, total of 228 hours, spend last night fixing up the final details.Just went live, now I am taking my customary 2 week break :p Play some games and think of the next project.

• I know it's incredibly nit-picky, but I can't get over the roof bricks and how they don't behave like actual bricks...

They change scale a lot in the arch on the right, at the top of the arch they're way wider than where the arch meets the concrete. Also, the flat wall behind the arch uses the same bricks and they're super squished compared to the ones at the top of the arch. Who built that and how did they find so many different shapes of the same colour brick? I think this is just a matter of being more careful with your UVs to preserve the in-engine size of recognisable structures. Always a good thing to practice tho.

Then there's also the arched-roof intersection that keeps throwing me off: Bricks don't really "bend" like that. Usually you'd have to do a lot of special bricklaying around those sorts of joints because the whole left arch would never support bricks that way, you need them laid longitudinally along the main axis of the arch, not transverse. (Try it yourself, transverse bricks don't support each other, so they keep falling down before you finish the arch) Maybe you could prevent that confusion by making the arch intersections have "rims" of a different material to prevent you having to line up the texture directions meticulously? At the very least, the arches need to be different meshes from each other so that you can texture them individually.

And finally, crates. In a sewer. How did they get there? (Crates with no pallets are the scourge of FPS games) What happens when this sewer floods? Not knocking your work, just offering my compositional crits :)
    Thanked by 1wizardofid
  • edited
    Nope it's totally cool.First time around working with more complex shapes, in particular rounded shapes, UVmapping was a %$#$##%$%$. But I learned quite a lot.Finished off the project.But feedback is appreciated, will perhaps have a look after the short rest at fixing things up.

Quite itching to move over to the new engine, there I don't have to worry so much about segmented meshes will also be a lot easier uv mapping.

Still I am proud what I managed to pull off, even thought it isn't perfect.Nit picking is welcomed, but only if you offer a beer :P
  • Nice work , if I have too nit pick, I would say , the lighting a bit overblown , could just be the video though, more decals to break up the modular work flow.
    Thanked by 1wizardofid
  • Where is my beer :)

Really need to upload a new video, of the final product, that was still a work in progress vid :) added some AI to fight and fixed up the lighting a wee bit.

But thanks for did feedback, kindly note I don't accept IUO for beer :P
  • Now I owe you , serves me right for nit picking .
  • What engine are you using wizardofid? Something home built?
  • Darkbasic engine from the game creators.