[Event] Joburg Community Night - 11 February 2014

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment in the thread below to let us know!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Tuesday 11 February

Where: Microsoft Campus Bryanston, 3012 William Nicol Drive, Bryanston, Johannesburg

Content:
- Introductions
- Community News (5 min)
- MGSA Committee plans for the year - @fengol
- LINQ Talk (If you don't know what this means... that's what the meetups are for :D ) - @hermantulleken ~20mins
- Focused prototype feedback

- Taxi Board Game - @Cheatsi
- Maltese Foursome - @Bensonance

- Lots of Global Game Jam games.

- Open Demo Floor

With demos of all the games we can muster, or that want feedback, set up inside the audotorium.

- Your presentation/talk/game here.

If you intend to attend, please indicate so on both the Meetup page and FB event!

Comments

• When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Tuesday 8 October
    Errrm? :P

• @Thelangfordian - I always forget to change that line -_-.
    Thanked by 1Thelangfordian
  • I can hopefully give a 2 minutes feedback on plans for the year from the last committee meeting?
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Alas I cannot make it this time... I do, however, promise that I will bring with a lot of prototypes to the February meetup.

On an unrelated note: did anyone pick up a 1TB Seagate External at the GGJ JHB?
  • Hey all - Zoe from Lazygamer is keen to do a talk on "What does the press want from you?" Anyone keen on this? Having worked as a freelance journo for a few months and having done the weekly roundups for a lot longer than that, I'd recommend we take her up on this offer :).
  • Hey all - Zoe from Lazygamer is keen to do a talk on "What does the press want from you?" Anyone keen on this? Having worked as a freelance journo for a few months and having done the weekly roundups for a lot longer than that, I'd recommend we take her up on this offer :).
    yes please
    Thanked by 1hanli
  • A'ight - anyone have any other talks they want to do? Otherwise I'm keen to do the mini-design analysis on Samurai Gunn this month :). I'm pretty much in love with this game. If you thought JW's juice was amazing - wait till you see Samurai Gunn's :).
    Thanked by 1duncanbellsa
  • If people are still keen on the LINQ talk, I could do that

One way to write beautiful maintainable readable code (at the cost of a little garbage and performance (that will be irrelevant in a year or two))
    Thanked by 2hanli jsgbailey
  • Ooh! Response = very yes regarding the LINQ talk. That has some potentially excellent uses for games.
    Thanked by 1jsgbailey
  • Yoh can i talk for 2min about the taxi board game?
  • @hermantulleken I have no idea what a LINQ talk is, but I guess I'll find out on Tuesday : P. You'll be our second talk :).

@Cheatsi yesssssss :D. I'll put you down for a focused feedback session which you can use however you want :).
    Thanked by 1Cheatsi
  • Suggestion: let's try and keep the talks not long, like we said (ordained?) before, maybe with some timekeeping? :)
    Thanked by 1Nitrogen
  • edited
    Perhaps we can hire a band to play the speaker off, Oscars-style.

Also, since I'm new to this, how long in advance do we generally need to schedule proposed talks? Is it just the week before? I've been approached to yammer about a couple of topics, and I'd like to do the thing right. :P
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • I need to teach whoever is "in charge" of the JHB meet-ups my looming technique. Basically I have two signs that I hold up. Green means you have 5min Left, Red means shut your face. After the Red if people are still going, I get up and awkwardly loom over them until they wrap up.
    Thanked by 2Tuism Bensonance
  • @Tuism Yeah I was actually going to time talks this time : P.

@Gazza_N It's basically first come first serve once the meetup thread has been setup :).

@LexAquillia hahaha I'll try that.
    Thanked by 1Gazza_N
  • I expect @Bensonance will be very, very good at looming. I look forward to seeing it instill fear into the hearts of mortals, and bringing tears to the eyes of everyone laughing hysterically.
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • I think timing talks is cool, but we also have to time the "focused feedback", which sometimes get out of hand. (I almost think people add stuff to say just to stay engaged).

Thanked by 2Bensonance Nitrogen
  • @LexAquillia's looming is so important to the CT meetups that his own talk ran over time because nobody else thought to loom at him...
  • edited
    That's why the world needs...

LOOM 2!!

(There's a petition for it at Telltale Games!)
    Thanked by 1Tim_Harbour
  • @Bensonance hoi hooi so i can prepare a short slide about the evolution of the game.
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • edited
    I think timing talks is cool, but we also have to time the "focused feedback", which sometimes get out of hand. (I almost think people add stuff to say just to stay engaged).

Exactly right.

Most of the time the speakers will exhaustively search the audience for every last scrap of discussion before surrendering the floor.

We need someone to step in loom up and limit the feedback time.

• Can someone make sure to bring up the WGSA workshop with Andrew Walsh? I can't attend tomorrow night unfortunately, and it would be good to make sure that others who don't frequent the forum are made aware about it.
  • @AngryMoos Yerp it's already on my stack of news :).
  • Just found out Zoe has a clash with a game event tomorrow evening. She said she was going to try make it work, but that seemed like a tough ask :).

We'll have her talk next month :). I have my Samurai Gunn analysis already, but I'm not sure we'll need it with all the game jam games , so we'll play it by ear.

Also, we're moving towards a more social structure for the meetups - less talks and more actual talking. Some of us have already started meeting up for dinner after the meetups, but I think this could form a neat part of the meetup (it works nicely in Cape Town).

So from this meetup we should start a trend of going out afterwards. Anyone have any recommendations? As much as Matt likes Nandos, there must be a better option : P .
  • The place across the street has everything, that Mexican place, KFC (lol) etc. So take the pick from there :) Though I dunno, I'm kinda used to leaving way late if there's stuff to chat about (prototypes, etc)
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • @Tuism You think that's jovial enough though? There are some restaurants down the road too, I believe :). No I agree, we'll still be leaving late, just not through being forced to by the structure of the meetup, but rather because you're enjoying socializing more :).

"A meetup for every person and every bedtime." - me
    Thanked by 2dammit Tuism
  • Just found out Zoe has a clash with a game event tomorrow evening. She said she was going to try make it work, but that seemed like a tough ask :).

We'll have her talk next month :). I have my Samurai Gunn analysis already, but I'm not sure we'll need it with all the game jam games , so we'll play it by ear.

Also, we're moving towards a more social structure for the meetups - less talks and more actual talking. Some of us have already started meeting up for dinner after the meetups, but I think this could form a neat part of the meetup (it works nicely in Cape Town).

So from this meetup we should start a trend of going out afterwards. Anyone have any recommendations? As much as Matt likes Nandos, there must be a better option : P .
    It's not just Matt. I like Nando's too! They give you free sherry!

• Thumbs up for Nando's here too :p
  • And crunchy peanut things! ;)
  • I like Nando's too, but they miss some elements :P (beer!) Plus they close at such strict hours it's often annoying.
  • edited
    I'm sad now. :'(
  • Being sad once a month is ok when you're happy once a month too :)
  • Well I missed being happy last month...so I'm doubly sad this month :P
  • Sorry guys, prob not gonna make it tonight...have a good one. See you next month hopefully ! :D
  • I can't make tonight either. :/ Computer trouble meant I couldn't work last night, and deadlines are looming. D:
  • I can't make tonight either. :/ Computer trouble meant I couldn't work last night, and deadlines are looming. D:
    Fader.
    Thanked by 1Rigormortis
  • Was a fantastic meetup, the numbers were amazing, thanks to all the first time comers, and hope to see you guys again and again!

@Elyaradine hope your work went well, we missed you!
  • Yeah, thanks, I got a lot done. :)

I'm glad it went well. :)
  • edited
    Hey guys. It was great to be there last night, even though I was floating in the jet-laggy sleep galaxy most of the time and didn't get a chance to chat with everyone properly. I'll introduce myself decently and with proper high-fives next time. :P