E: Quick Turret

It's incomplete and a fraction late. Just really wanted to see what I might be able to do in 4 hours.

Raw Game Maker 8.1 Lite format
Executable v1.5
Executable v1.7 NEW

Until I have ingame instructions up:
Aim: mouse
Shoot: Lmb
Music on/off: M (because it will drive you iiiin-farking-saaaaane :s )

Comments

• edited
    You've got your formatting backwards for your download links - the name is the url and your url is the name :P

It's a decent start, but the feel of the controls is horrible to me - I'd much rather have shooting by clicking, and having the turret follow your cursor, and bullets that are a bit faster to reload. It seems like right from the beginning I was undergunned. Zombies being able to pop up right next to your turret didnt help either!
  • Thanks for even trying it out and many thanks for all the feedback!
    Nitrogen said:
    You've got your formatting backwards for your download links - the name is the url and your url is the name :P
    - Ah, not much experience with this, but I got it now thanks :)
    Nitrogen said:
    ...but the feel of the controls is horrible to me - I'd much rather have shooting by clicking
    Without a doubt. I tried for about 20min to get this right and the best I could do was that it shoots in the direction of the cursor when clicking, but when you click again all the active bullet instances would change course towards the mouse cursor. Assigning it to space bar instead of mouse button solved it instantly. Now that time doesn't matter, if I bother to flesh it out, I will try solve this.
    Nitrogen said:
    ...and having the turret follow your cursor
    Yup, this was the plan. The sprites for the 8 directions are already in there, I just had (have) no idea how to do that. I need to figure it out though as I need it for another project too.
    Nitrogen said:
    and bullets that are a bit faster to reload. It seems like right from the beginning I was undergunned.
    For this I can only apologise, I had virtually no time to spend on balancing, I will speed it up a little. Also, I needed to make sure I killed you in under 5min as I was never going to have enough time to build a win scenario :D
    Nitrogen said:
    Zombies being able to pop up right next to your turret didnt help either!
    I had 2 options here. The longer (time) route was to set up more sets of spawn area ranges so that zombies could not spawn so close to the turret, but chose to go with the 2nd which is to start the zombie spawns with an animation of them climbing out of the ground and from a point of being about halfway out, they would be shootable. I thought that might add a nice touch, but I ran out of time. :D

Again, thanks for all the feedback, I genuinely appreciate that. I am at extreme noob level still so I had no intention to enter at all really. At ~20:00 I needed a break from my project and as I read the forums and this competition thread, I thought I would push myself to see what (if anything) I might be able to come up with before midnight. To be honest, I didn't think I would be able to enter anything even remotely working within that time, not at my level of knowledge and experience, so I was very chuffed when I was able to hit 'submit'. :)

• edited
    Hey, well well done for entering! We all have to start somewhere.

Other people here on the forum know a lot more about Game Maker than I do, but it sounds like when you click the mouse, you need to set a variable, storing the position of the mouse at that moment, and have the bullets follow to that point.

Even simpler than that is to just instantiate a bullet object when you click the mouse and set it's starting velocity to aim towards the mouse cursor just once, and then just add that velocity to it each frame.

As for the turret rotation - dont bother with drawing all the different frames, I'm sure Game Maker can just rotate the object up to any arbitrary angle for you.

• OP updated with new version which contains updates from the critique.

- shooting with lmb
    - turret follows cursor
    - bullet reload time reduced by 1/3
    - zombies spawn animation added and made shootable from halfway through animation so that they can't ninja you from right next to the turret
    - Bgm added which can be switched off and on
    - Turret fire sound added
    - Some minor cosmetics and tweaks