D: Page Ripping Champion 2013

I know its a pretty late entry, but this is the last three or so evenings worth of work, and my first contribution to this community. It may seem like a stupid idea, but I wanted to see if I could get it to work. It's written in Python using pygame.

The object of the game is to rip out all 250 pages in a book. Use the [F] and [J] keys to move your hands.

The game is pretty simple to figure out.

Try to switch hands between pages, because points accumulate faster when you do, and slower when you don't. Stop each hand briefly to prevent cramp, but always keep the other hand moving. If no hand is moving, even for a split second, you lose all bonuses. Do it too often, and it's game over.

Download

Comments

• Hahahaha you certainly had me intrigued! After reading the instructions I was expecting more something like this:

There is something in the way you repeat the action so many times that it's like a sport, getting to that high score :) I had a few 160+ combos going but it's easy to lapse :)

An ending screen that tells you what you managed to achieve would be nice! Right now it just boots you out, I don't have a clue what score I got or combos I got max, etc. That would be valuable!
  • Oddly satisfying. Ah, the things we can do in games that we can't do in real life...
  • @Tuism Thanks. A high score list and a better ending screen when you win are the number one thing on my to-do list.
  • This could be used as theraphy. Nice
  • It's a nice idea! Juggling between hands as they tear books isn't an idea I'd have had in a million years. Good on ya. Inspired by boring classes at school, perhaps? :P

I'll second the request for a score screen and such - I thought the game had crashed until I reread this thread. :P

One thing though - I had no idea when my hands were about to cramp, and ended up having an unceremonious C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER sneak up on me on multiple occasions. I'd request that you look into a way to better telegraph incoming cramps. Needn't be too long in advance, but at least long enough for the player to switch hands if they're paying attention and have good reflexes. Many ways you could telegraph this - changing the hand sprite to show twitching fingers? Little lightning bolts flashing around the hand, perhaps?
  • For me, the biggest issue is being booted out on game over. When you're still getting to grips with the game and losing you keep having to reopen the app, and it feels like you've been cheated when you get to the last page and the app dies
  • Hmmm... It sounds like the game is crashing. I'm using a clumsy html rendering library to draw the game over screen and it gave me problems with this before. I thought I'd fixed it, but apparently not. Sorry about that.

What's supposed to happen is that it shows you a short game over message and then goes back to the menu screen.