Dragon Commander: Scope creep or EFFIN AWSM?!

edited in General
So I saw this little thing and I was instantly intrigued: A game with Dragon with a Jetpack?! PWN!

Then I watched the trailer and was utterly flabbergasted. Is this the results of insane development hell, endless Reworking, scope creep, or do you think they aimed to put every game ever into one Dragon with a Jetpack package... from the very start?

It literally has EVERYTHING and the kitchen sink thrown at it. I'm so curious if anyone has followed it, played it, whether it's fun, or what?

Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood

Comments

• edited
    I've pre-purchased and am in the beta. Unfortunately all that's currently available is the skirmish stuff, and I'm mostly interested in the campaign, so I haven't really played it.

Edit - it's been released and I see I can install the full version from Steam now. I'll get back to you on gameplay if you like. :D
  • Yeah, love to play campaign of this. I've played enough territory skirmish games already (and I don't feel the need to play another)... but if it has an impressive campaign (with a good story) then I'm interested.
  • @WelshPixie nice :) I'm super on the fence about this game cos generally I just can't get into Starcraft and its ilk cos... Well, they feel like chores to me. I know lots of people love it, I'm just not one of them. RTS makes me tired. On the other hand DOTA was damn fun while I did play it.

Then I remember Giants and those hybrids, and they were quite fun. This... just seems like MADNESS. Has literally everything. Wouldn't be surprised if you could go into the ship's arcade and play some 8bit Dragon Invader thing :)

Though I'm really wondering - does this game seem like the result of madness in scope creep, or calculated planned dev? Could one tell from afar?
  • If you're comparing this to Starcraft you have totally the wrong impression. The turn-based grand strategy overworld thing is as much part of the gameplay as the real-time strategy (with dragon) bit. I think some people will like all of it, others will like only some of it. It's definitely not scope-creep - this was always what the game was going to be. Personally the overworld stuff interests me more - it appeals to the Crusader Kings player in me. :)
  • I think it's calculated. Have you played any of the previous Divinity games? They're all freaking awesome - but all very focused and clear about what they want to be, so I'm confident they'll pull off that same degree of solid design with this one too. The last one was more dragon-ish than the previous ones; your character fused with dragon memories in order to fight them better and kinda became part dragon him/herself - and this one is somewhat of an evolution of that.

I'm the same with RTS which is why I think I'll enjoy this one. Most RTSs don't hold my attention long enough, and I'm not particularly tactically minded so they don't appeal to me challenge-wise. The diplomacy aspects of this really intrigue me though - the whole thing, this big mix of 'stuff', really intrigues me. So in seventeen years when our stupid South African internet has finished downloading it, and I've played it a bit, I'll let you know ;)
  • RTS-wise this looks a lot more like Ground Control than Starcraft. Don't think that's a bad thing in the slightest, always wanted more GC-like games.

Definitely interested in how this turns out - anyone seen any Lets Play links?

P.S. I'm glad they kept the sort of writing that produces "Lalinor, NooooOOOOoooo" moments. In the trailer I had no idea how it made sense to go from murdering the king to "for the wizard UnrememberableGobbledygook" in the same sentence ;)