Neon Shadow - TPG

edited in Projects
Hi all!

This announcement brought to you from Tasty Poison Games! We've been a bit quiet but we've been working hard on our newest project. We are very excited to show you footage from Neon Shadow, a cyber-punk FPS inspired by games such as Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, and many other old school shooters. Please let us know what you think ^_^

Music: The Shoulder of Orion by Abducted By Sharks
Here are some concepts and other earlier artwork

We are planning on releasing soon on iOS, Android and OUYA. We'll post more progress as we go along!

Enjoy!

Comments

• Looks awesome guys. Stage reminds me of Aliens:Colonial Marines with brighter colours.
  • This reminds me somewhat of what I've seen of Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon -- 80's-ish and neon-coloured, full of guns and robots. It could be a rather cool shooter, I think! ^_^

I'm interested to note that you're planning on releasing it for the OUYA -- it's good to see development for that happening. ^_^
  • edited
    So awesome you're posting this here! (instead of me having to steal game sessions in when one of you leaves your computer unattended)

Any chance of a playable for outside of the office testing/feedback/good-times?
  • edited
    @FanieG : Thank you! We are definitely pushing for non-dull colours! This is just a teaser, will show everyone more weapons, more levels, more enemies and more gameplay as they become ready :)

@Thaumaturge : Blood Dragon was a little bit of an inspiration for some of the lighting, it was actually TOO much an inspiration at one point and we had to cut back on the ridiculous amount of saturated primary (i.e. Blood Dragon) colours we had! We could have gone that route but wanted to distinguish ourselves from "oh, it's a Blood Dragon clone on iOS and Android", because it really isn't(!) although we thank the existence of the Blood Dragon for (just being so awesome and) giving us some lighting ideas! And yes, OUYA! Very keen to see how it's received there!

@BlackShipsFilltheSky : I'd love for there to be a PC version or at least a web-build or something, but even just saying that is dangerous! Can't make any (even remote) promises! For now we are on such a tight schedule that it is unlikely we could even if we wanted to (it's worth discussing around the office though!). But who knows, if it is successful we hope to release more content for it and then there might be (! maybe, can't promise, don't hold us to this! :p) a possibility for expanding to other platforms. Even though we are fast approaching release, it could still be early days yet! So I'll keep that dream in the back of my mind and maybe it'll be viable in the future ^_^
  • Looks like a great game to play, I wish I had a phone that could play it.
    Looking forward in seeing it progress.

GG
    Founder
    Land of Gamers
  • Wooohoo!! Now that's what I'm talking about!! Wd guys this looks awesome!! Cant wait to see more!
  • edited
    Guys, please bring back "sci-fi" like pipe bombs and wise-cracking, hyper masculine tough guy remarks that would be amazing lol!!! oh and the Rocket Launcher.... ;D Love the ui elements just dam sexy!!
  • edited
    For anyone interested, we've just released a trailer for our iPad/Tablet split-screen feature in Neon Shadow

We've tested this out in house (and a bit at the meetup) and we think it's going to be an awesome gameplay mode!

Also thanks to everyone who gave feedback and tried out our game at the last meetup. We are really glad that people seem as keen on the game as we are :D

Let us know what you think! Or if you have any other comments/suggestions, we are all ears. Otherwise stay cool, all B-)
  • Wow. That's so cool! :D
  • It looks so damn cool, I must admit, though I'm used to having the gyro when I play touchscreen FPSs... So I wonder how it would work overall! If there's not too much micro-tweaking needed for aiming then it would work brillo :)

Two-player-one-device is way fun! Lucky Frame's Gentlemen! is awesome fun :) I'm also working towards something like that :)
  • edited
    I do think this trailer sells the game well... I like the emphasis on the two player mode... I think that is a VERY cool feature... and I think this trailer is very well edited (the FPS view that zooms out to an iPad then zooms in to the other player's camera is a very nice touch).

Some criticisms!! (That I hope are constructive).

1) I don't think this is the best music you could use to sell the game. It's quite tense and nervous, I'd expect something more aggressive or inspiring for a trailer. I know you guys are having some delays in licensing music or something... but I think this aspect could be improved.

2) Some of the footage used shows off the weaker aspects of the game. There is one scene in particular where the player fires the shotgun twice at nothing and then the player walks backwards and a dogbot comes into view. Being attacked from behind and panicking isn't really a strong selling point to your game.

3) You don't show your BFG (and only show the plasma gun as a brief tease in the zoomed out two players view). If there was a climax to the song then a BFG battle might be a nice climax maybe?
  • That is rather cool, and a rather clever game mode, I do think! ^_^
  • Unofficial Promotional Art:

Thanked by 3D3zmodos raxter Merrik
  • ... Wait, this is a far-future sequel to BattlePug?! ;P

Heh, I like that image! I'd like it if that became official, I think. ^_^
  • Quick update!
    Neon Shadow is in final testing and should be sent out to the powers that be in the next couple of weeks.
    People will soon be fragging on Google Play, iOS and OUYA!

All hail the Pug!!!
  • Looking really cool!
  • Haha the pug :P the trailer look epic! I will be trying it out on iPad for sure!

• wh00p! Neon Shadow is out on Android! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crescentmoongames.neonshadow&hl=en iOS and OUYA to follow soon :D
    Thanked by 3Nandrew Fengol Tuism
  • edited
    Wow guys awesome stuff! I'll support for sure once it's available on iOS :)

Just a view questions regarding Ouya development. What development tools are needed to do this? Do you need to pay anything to do this? I started with Unity now. Seems like it's not cheap to do Android development using Unity?

I'm intrigued with the idea of developing for Ouya. I come from a console background. I even own a console gaming store :p so for the fun I'd like to try developing on consoles.
  • Looking forward to the iOS build!
  • Congrats on the release, guys! :D
  • edited
    @RickyGC Aw man I wish I could tell you. I didn't touch the OUYA stuff too much. I do know you need an OUYA (duh) and Unity with Android, I can't say but I suspect you need Android Pro since OUYA SDK uses a plugin (and plugins are a pro feature)... don't quote me on that but I think that's the situation. Tasty Poison got an early dev OUYA and as far as I know the release ones are good to dev on too. The SDK is free tho and as far as I know there aren't any other setup costs. There were some teething issues since the OUYA software was buggy as all f*ck for a bit but after about a billion updates it seems to run quite well now

@Fengol @Elyaradine, Thanks so much, real credit must go to the lead dev (who I don't think is not on the forums actively). He put in an inhuman amount of effort and extra hours to get it released in the time it did. If you see him give him a hearty pat on the back and extra candy-flavored congratulations ^_^ not to diminish the rest of the team's efforts though, everyone put in a hell of a lot of time, effort, and soul into making the game as good as it could be!
  • This looks very cool will love to see how the controls feel but the look is awesome, waiting on IOS and Ouya version :)

@RickyGC I've got an Ouya and got the stuff working on there. You need Unity and the Unity package for Ouya installed and they have some guide for mapping the keys ect. but in terms of cost you can use the free Unity version and export the Android version for free as well using Unity 4.2 and up. It's like building a normal Android app. Haven't done much of this though just a bit. Go register as a Ouya dev it's free
    Thanked by 1raxter
  • Well done on the Android release of your game :)
    It looks awesome!
  • edited
    http://www.facebook.com/OUYA http://instagram.com/p/f3dXzNLd-1/ AWESOME Stuff guys! Day one buy for me :D
  • Super keen to see the reactions on OUYA :D
  • I seriously cannot wait to play this game! Anyone know the best place to purchase an Ouya?
    @DarkFactionZA
  • @_damN_ the easiest would probably be importing though Amazon for around R1500
  • edited
    BAM! Neon Shadow released on OUYA! Only been there a day and we are ranked #34 already! Go check it out, already getting some good responces!

From the official OUYA forums
    "Very solid game. Exactly the shot in the arm Ouya needs."
    "Can't wait to DL this when I get home! "
    "This game is fuckin pimp! Can't wait to kill my friends in local multiplayer. "

\o/ omg very pleased indeed :D

[edit: added more exclamation marks!]
    Thanked by 2hanli Tuism
  • edited
    - double post deleted -

I replace with more exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!

(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :D
  • Well done guys!!
  • I played this on an Ouya over the weekend with @Loet, well done guys, it's one solid arena shooter, captures the fun that Quake was master of, and I could imagine it being tons more fun with more than 2 players! Are there options for more players? (Forgot to check at the time) four way screen split?

Thanked by 1raxter
  • Awesome! So glad you liked it! If I remember correctly there should be a 4 way split screen on the OUYA, at least I remember playing it in the office... just checked, the official description says it's there so find 2 more controller and go for it, was super fun when I tried!

On that note... Neon Shadow made it to #1 on the OUYA store! getting ahead of games such as Towerfall in such a short space of time is a real awesome feeling!

Also for those who were wondering, Neon Shadow is due to hit iOS on Thursday!

Very exciting times :D thanks all for the kind words during ^_^
  • Exciting! Edging out Towerfall is amazeballs considering that it's both a unique mechanic in the market AND an Ouya exclusive! (I really enjoyed Towerfall too) (but all the games on Ouya really need 4 players to super shine. In fact it should have come with 4 controllers standard! Or 4 good controllers XD)
    Thanked by 1raxter
  • edited
    Neon Shadow out on iOS!

just letting y' know :) ( @RickyGC @Fengol @loet)
    Thanked by 2Tuism creative630
  • Great review on Pocket Gamer... 9/10 Gold Award!

Well done guys!
    Thanked by 2raxter duncanbellsa
  • Yay! :D thanks!
  • That thumbnail image of the game (on polygon) is awesome. Who was the artist?
  • I believe that was by the fantastic @filiporekhov ^_^
  • Bought this on my iPad, but I can't find my charger and can't play. D: Was so keen to play with my girlfriend who's been really keen to (try to!) frag me in Unreal for a while.

I was wondering why the publisher/developer wasn't named Tasty Poison from what I can remember.

Congrats again!
  • edited
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the publisher is Crescent Moon Games while Tasty Poison are the developers? I assume Crescent Moon helped fund/"publish" the game like they have in the past with Pocket RPG.

Edit: Muddled second hand information from my side :)
  • Bought and am looking forward to the 2 player mode! :D

I do see the Tasty Poison logo right after Crescent Moon :)
  • Yeah, Crescent Moon was the publisher for Android and iOS (tho not for OUYA). As far as I remember Crescent Moon did a lot of the marketing that gets the features on the stores and such. So far they've published TPG's last 3 in house games (PocketRPG, Dig and now Neon Shadow)
  • edited
    Did anyone else know Neon Shadow is on Greenlight? :(. It has been on there since September 2013.

I've looked for any announcement but I couldn't find anything significant. Wish I'd known about this before I'd written this.

Anyway, everyone should go vote for them if you haven't already! They're sitting at about 72% to the top 100, as a comment from Crescent Moon indicates.