[Competition] D : Two Buttons (are more than enough!)

Comments

• I just want to premptively congratulate everyone who participated, the turnout was enormous!! It's so awesome to see so many people jump in, even seemingly complete strangers (welcome!) to our forums.

Also I'd like to say that I think this is a very good lesson to learn - the earlier you show your game to the world, the easier it is for them to play, the better/faster it will get better, and the better the eventual result. So even if your game is a couple of blocks (@tbulford's is a perfect example), as long as it's playable, post it! :D

Looking forward to everyone's final entries :)
    Thanked by 1Muchie
  • I'm in! done! but so far from done really...
  • Finished in the nick of time! What an awesome night of dev :D
  • edited
    The idea is that you are a space fighter who has been shot by enemy fire and your thrusters and controls are damaged (hence only having 2 keys) and this is your final stand.

d & k rotate your ship
    pressing both fire lasers (there are test dummies)
    holding in both charges your lasers to do more damage
    and as a final Hail Mary you can nuke to do enormous amounts of damage.

http://www.firefarm.co.za/override

http://www.firefarm.co.za/Uploads/Override/Override.zip

Dam, I'm totally going to miss the deadline. Iv been working on something since I heard about this at the last game dev meet up. I really was hoping to have the whole thing done but a week just wasn't enough.
  • NOT done but up with 8 minutes to spare :P
  • Holy crap.

That's a lot of entries. Errbody got download links for me? Web versions are fine, but difficult for me to grab right now to play later ;)
  • I have never seen a comp turnout like this before on an SA gamefrumz. Newbies by the kilo (welcome :D)! The Game.Dev Old Guard rocked up. Travis Freaking Bulford submitted an entry. Even @Thaumaturge rose from whatever etheric plane he'd been lurking in. It's bloody fantastic.

I want to echo what @Tuism said - I saw a lot of games with a lot of potential that could have benefitted immensely from earlier feedback. Post. Builds. Early. Doesn't matter if the only art is a bunch of cubes or if the input's a little iffy, you want to nail as many problems and get as many suggestions as you can right at the start. As you can see, we aren't all out to "steal your idea". We're having too much fun with our own. :P

Conversely, give feedback. That's half the competition. These comps exist for us to learn from each other and help each other to submit the best damned games we can conjure. As you should know by now, every bit of feedback helps, whether you use it all or not, and we haven't had any "lolurgaemsuxlol" comments that I've ever seen.

Now begins the arduous wait for judgenings. Poor Danny. T_T
    Thanked by 2Nitrogen Muchie
  • Mine's up here: http://mikepote.co.nf/shift/v2/

I should have started waay earlier, it lacks the polish that it needed :( On the other hand, I actually felt a little bit of fun while test playing it - so there should be some potential there right?
  • @Gazza_N I agree Danny is going to be real busy has his work cut out for him.
  • edited
    @dislekcia I've posted a summary of all the games.
    Thanked by 1Jwho303