Cool Guy Chess - Prototype

edited in Projects
Hi All,

(*Cheesy pitch*) Need to settle an argument around the office or home but lack the upper-body strengh for hand-to-hand combat? Not so refined that you can be labeled a chess grandmaster? Then COOL GUY CHESS might be the game for you.

Tutorial:
1. Cool Guy Chess is a 2 player "hot-seat" game, so choose your opponent
2. Both players are dealt 8 cards(units/cool guys), by hitting the Deal Card Button (alternating between player 1 and 2). Cards are selected randomly and more than 1 of the same Unit can be dealt to a player
3. Each Unit has an attack (red digit) and defend skill (blue digit) associated with the character.
4. Select the unit which you would like to play using the radio buttons found in the middle of the screen and hit the select button. All desicions are final. Once a unit has been selected, that unit needs to be played. "No do-overs" but you can try and skip a turn (sometimes doing nothing is better).
5. Select a square to move the selected unit to (again using the radio buttons) and hit the Inspect destination button. All units can move either 1 or 2 squares in a straight line - any direction.
6. Unit will be moved if destination is clear or engage in a fight if not clear.
7. Fights:
7.1 Attack skill will compete against the enemy unit's Defence skill.
7.2 Both units will roll a dice. The dice amount will be added to the attack/defence skills.
7.3 Higher stat takes the square and destroys the enemy unit. Player loses a life (displayed under score labels). Tie will lead to a victory for the attacker (fortune favours the brave).
8. Turn ends and next player goes into hot-seat. Rinse, repeat & conquer
9. When score count reaches 0 - player loses and must bow to the COOL GUY.

Please keep in mind that this is ony a prototype (first build) and that it was created by an absolute Noob developer using only a visual studio form application. The skip turn button will occasionaly break the game (still working on fixing that). All art was stolen - needed pictures to see if code works - so thank you internet.

All feedback will be greatly appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jmp14znnax75gcs/Cool Guy Chess Ver 1.1.zip

Comments

• edited
    So I downloaded and gave it a play, to be honest I think the concept is pretty cool, but there're a few things in the execution that makes it kinda hard to navigate and do seemingly simple tasks.

1. Why does each player have to click their button to be dealt 1 card? Why not get all 8 on both sides? The case may be made for building tension to see which guys you're dealt, but since you can't influence the decision (nor do you understand the implication of each unit till later into the game), it got somewhat tedious.
    2. The language use could be simpler - select your cool guy could easily be "select piece/guy/etc to move".
    3. The move destination could be painted with colours on the actual board to indicate where it could move to.
    4. It would be best to interact with the board itself instead of with a bunch of radial buttons, though I must say the radial buttons made sense after some (not too much) head scratching.
    5. I want to know which pieces can move in what manner... Can that info be displayed somewhere or as you roll over each piece?

Then, interface aside, onto gameplay:

1. I really think the concept could be great, but to me there's too many parts of randomness to it all without the player being able to affect the process and to make their decisions super meaningful. The cards dealt are random - maybe they all add up to a certain point total so you never get into a situation where one side is seemingly totally dominant? Or maybe the players get to shuffle the arrangement of the random pieces they are dealt? This seems to totally lend itself to a kind of deckbuilding (either MtG style or Thunderstone style)
    2. I personally have a dislike for games that rely a lot (arguably too much, but that's me) on dice. I feel they need to allow me a lot of control or else I'll feel like I'm winning and losing not on my skills but my dice rolls. Not sure how to incorporate that into your mechanics, but that's just my feelings on it.

Coincidentally I've also been looking at Chess variants lately, mainly with the goal of making the timeless chess game more random (less deterministic), yet not lose out on the intrinsic strategic element that everyone already knows. I came across this variant called Knightmare, which seemed very cool, relying on card draws to have effects - though it may seem a bit too random.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knightmare_Chess

There are also other variants, but for the life of me I can't remember what they're called now...
  • @Tuism - Thanks for giving it a go. I will add all of the Ideas you implemented into the next build.

1. I know the deal buttons are frustrating. I had it as a single button initially, but my random card selector dealt too many of the same card for each player (in some cases getting as many as 5 of the same unit). I will look to fix this.

2. Language used was to fit in with my (cheesy) theme, but i agree could be simpler. Could be worse - like having the word tosser in the title :) (just kidding)

3 & 4. My idea was to build the prototype in Visual studio and then rebuild in GameMaker once I got all my ideas into a working order (and got the basics of GameMaker down), so i will definitely keep these suggestions in mind for the next build.

5. I've updated the tutorial above to show how units can move. (2 blocks - straight line - any direction)

As for not liking the Dice & random characters...tough :). The whole idea was to give the game a board game feel and an element of luck, which i think i achieved.

i will check out Knightmare.

Thanks again for playing & for the valuable feedback - much appreciated.
  • Well, on the random dice thing - not to say eliminate luck completely, but give players more control of the outcomes - like the examples I gave of giving players the ability to arrange the random dudes they got dealt, or letting them re-roll the dice once or twice, or giving the players the ability to "deck build" and pick their ideal set of units (before randomising their position, for example), or something.

Games like King of Tokyo is entirely dice, but the players get to choose to reroll twice, and get to accumulate resoruce to buy stuff out of a random heap of cards. Also games with decks of cards eliminate the possibility of the same unit coming up 5 times just because there are only 3 or 4 or whatever of a copy of that item in the deck. These are all examples of giving player choices value luck while retaining randomness and luck :)
  • @Tuism - Touche! Point taken. I do like the "choose where to place the random card you have been dealt" idea. Will look at how I can implement that. Alternatively i can increase the board size so that each player starts with 1 of each of the 16 characters. Mmmmm, so many options so little time. Why do we have to have dayjobs? Thanks for feedback
  • I finally found the game that I wanted to show you. I think that you have almost the same idea as this:

Except in Dino Wars the players get direct control of their dinos instead of having random dice rolls. I played this game a lot against my brother when I was little and my main issue was always balance. There were some Dino's that were just way more powerful than any other Dino's. Basically we never played until someone won or lost we just played until our two strong dinos were killed because the player that had one of those left basically killed everything else with them. (granted it might just have been our own inability to play that well, but still.)

I think if you want to create a chess like game then you have to make players forget that they are playing a chess like. I mean anything that isn't reliant on the overall strategy will feel unfair because the players think off the game in terms of chess. So for instance if I have the stronger board position, but my opponent has a powerful piece that kills my pieces even when I attack him it will make me quit playing. I would feel that I'm the better player but that it doesn't count for anything.

I like that you are going a "Cheesy" route. I think that this game could work if you build it around the player feedback rather than making it the best strategy game ever. Make it as juicy as possible. Think along the lines of this(even though it's actual chess with juice):

You can hold off on the juice until you have all the basic gameplay elements done, but my opinion is that in the end it will rely on the juice to keep players engaged.

Hope this was helpful :)
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Forgot to mention [url = http://www.makegamessa.com/discussion/724/the-emotional-tribulations-of-going-indie#Item_2]this is why we have day jobs.[/url] I suggest you give it a read. :)
  • edited
    Battle Chess was super seductive, I also played Quake Chess for a while, even if I totally didn't like chess at all!
    But at the end of the day they're simply skinned chess, the gameplay remained the same :)

Of course there's Rooks Keep by our own SA guys, from what I remember they have a chess-cross-real-time-combat game going :)

My own vision of Chess... I haven't had time to work on it, but it involves cards (Which of my games don't XD), and I'll put a prototype together for next month's meet and see how it goes :)
  • @Rigormortis - my how that battle chess vid brings back memories. That is my dream for the game (as soon as i have a better understanding of GameMaker). At the moment I just don't know how, but i learn a little bit every day. I also played dino Wars back in the day. I get what you are saying regarding the player feeling cheated rather than skilled if a better piece with better stats gets defeated by a weaker unit and thanks for recognizing the cheezy flava in the game. Definitely not aiming for the next strategy game of the year. Just a good old board game. Much to ponder here.

@Tuism - since I live in Mpumalanga and can't attend the meets - i would love it if you could post your Card/Chess game for all to see. Also, if you could think of anything a noob could contribute to your game - throw it my way please. I don't get too many chances to learn from other game devs in Nelspruit.
  • @Rigormortis - thanks for the link to that article. Never thought about the flip side of that coin :)
  • I want to look at re-doing this prototype in Unity or GameMaker but not sure where to start. I have found that I struggle understanding the game loop in many of the game engines. In visual studio it is easy to control the steps in the program as it is more event driven i.e. nothing happens until the user clicks a button on makes a similar choice. It is easy to control what the user sees or is able to do. What do I need to research in order to understand the loop (update function) better, or how can you control the events in Unity/GameMaker. Any advise would be appreciated.
  • I like your game, the interface is a bit hard to use but the game is well thought through.

I'd suggest unity mostly because it's programming language is c#, not some derivative. I'd suggest looking through the tutorials and maybe trying the Stealth Project tutorial. You've actually touched on the game loop a bit with Windows GUI.

while (program running)
    if (something happened)
    fire appropriate event

In Unity you can hook in to events and have things happen when those events occur.

Also, maybe look at state machines. It will help bringing sequence to an update loop.
  • @Gingetsuryuu - Thanks a mil for this advise. I have been setting my googling skills to the test this week looking for the answer. Incidentally I stumbled onto a state machines tutorial last night that seems to be what I was looking for. I have also decided to go with Unity for my future projects. I played around with both GameMaker and Unity for 2-3 weeks each and find that Unity is easier for me to use (largely due to my C# and Javascript experience), although I can see why so many people are a fan of GM (much quicker to get started in than any other software - I think). Also I have quite a lot of friends that play around in Maya and 3DMax (which is great for Unity - and thus me). So I can get them involved too. About time that Mpumalanga gets more exposure on the game dev scene.
  • Okay so state Machines is also not exactly what I was looking for, but found an article on coroutines. Didn't really make a lot of sense to me though (I'm a real noob hobbyist). Can any of the coding Guru's in the community assist with directions to any good coroutine tutorials (the kind that assume that you are a total beginner that knows nothing). Again - any assistance will be appreciated.